“Great evening”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Went here with a large group of friends (15ish in all) for a birthday, sat on the top floor which was laid out for us. Nice atmosphere, decor and wonderful staff.

Loads of food to choose from, a little on the pricey side for what you get, but it was pretty nice and presented well enough. Drinks were also a little pricey (£4 for a small Tiger?), so only had one.

All in all, was good food, nice atmosphere but a little pricey.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were staying near Norwich for the weekend and we are big fans of Thai cuisine. After reading the reviews of the numerous Thai restaurants in the city (I can’t believe there are so many) we settled for the “Thai on the river” mainly for its unique location on the river.

As this was a Saturday evening we took “pot luck” that we would get a table without booking. On entering the restaurant we found it to be quite empty with only a few tables taken. We were shown to our table by one of the friendly waitresses.

We both had dimsum starters which were nice. For main course I had a Thai chicken green curry with coconut rice and my wife had a chicken stir fry both dishes were of very high quality.
Service was very attentive and our food arrived pretty quickly.

The restaurant itself had a nice ambiance with its wood finish and Thai Buddha’s. Not too sure about the “Tranquil setting”, looking out across the river at the illuminated Premier Inn sign is hardly breath taking.

I do have a couple of points of criticism, firstly, most Thai restaurants we visit give you complimentary Prawn or Thai crackers while you are checking out the menu, here you had to pay. Secondly, as friendly as the staff were, it would have been nice if the waitresses had worn traditional Thai costume and both the bar lads were wearing shabby tops, jeans and trainers. A more formal dress such as white shirts and black trousers would have been nicer.

However, we did enjoy our meal and what we paid was pretty much conducive with other Thai restaurants we have dined at.

Next time we are in Norwich we may give one of the other Thai restaurants a go.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Me and my friend were really excited about eating here when I visited Norwich. We had booked a table a couple of days prior - with a request for a window seat, which we got...however when we arrived it was pretty much empty other than one other couple. Would have had a better atmosphere if it was a little more lively; and considering it was a Friday night, felt a tad strange, the lack of diners.

One thing that bugs me about a restaurant is when your food arrives too quickly. I know we all complain when we are left waiting ages for our food, but when you're given your meal too quickly, it always gets me thinking. Anyway, I'm not suggesting our food wasn't freshly prepared, just wanted to mention it.

The food was delicious...although my prawns had not been de-veined. Didn't make a fuss of it but I can imagine some people being really put off by that.

The staff were very nice and polite, no problems there at all.

As for the approach to the boat, well I was a little bit disappointed. Reading some of the 5 star reviews I was expecting a stunning set up, but it all seemed toned down, some nice enough lights yes, but I was just expecting more. Inside, its lovely, lots of wood, really feels like you're on a boat. The we sat down next to our window and had a beautiful view of...well, the darkness and the lit up Premier Inn across the river! So much for the "tranquil view of the riverside" as is written on the Thai on the River's website.

I have seen some reviews commenting on the high prices. Personally I think for Norwich, the prices are pretty much "alright", but its certainly not good value for money. Then again we didn't eat a lot and didn't drink any alcohol; if we did the price would have easily pushed £40-45.

Watch out for the very low ceilings. There are small signs warning you but I didn't notice any until I knocked my head - I'm to blame there though, should have paid attention!

All in all, if you want to try something different, come here. There aren't many Boat-Restaurants around and this was the first one I'd visited. It would be good if Thai on the River lit up their boat more, would be nice to be able to see twinkling lights reflected in the water. Would I come back? Yes I think so. I'm picturing a visit during the summer, before the sun sets, would make for a far better atmosphere.

1  Thank Firenze_Tsukimi
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went here on a Tuesday night with daughter and some of her friends...we had a lovely meal and some very well presented cocktails.
Food too was presented by well, service very good.
Very quiet thought, would have been nice if the place had a few more customers...didn't spoil the night tho.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

You must visit this quaint little boat on the river, the food is tremendous and the staff extremely attentive. This was my second visit within 6 months and I just love the place. The Sirloin steak is the best I have ever had.

4  Thank RobsterWirral