All reviews leisure facilities national holidays steam room tea and coffee full english poste
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 2 nights. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional. However.... the cleanliness of the rooms was shocking. Room stank of cigarettes, sheets were stained, bathroom tiles were filthy and toilet flush was broken. Didn’t bother asking for another room as only stayed for 2 nights.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2019

I stayed here for 4 nights with a coach party.
Hotel its self had good sport facilities if you needed them but not required on a coach holiday as out everyday.
One thing I must praise is the team of staff who were all friendly and did their job to best of their ability.
Rooms..2 people sharing.. only 1 hand towel...I have never experienced this in a hotel ever..always have 1 each.
Room was clean.
No chairs to sit on had to sit on beds.
Phone old and broken...long walk to reception if you needed anything.
Nothing like the pictures on website.
Food....sorry chef but the year 7's 11yr olds,at the school I worked at produced better tasting, better looking food than we received. Yes a coach party budget but it was disgusting. Greek salad ?....dont serve it to a Greek person.
Seafood chowder?=slop...disgusting slop..lumps of raw flour in the sauce..no fish and just the same frozen veg that you served every night.
Brownie with ice cream and fresh cream all served frozen solid.
Leek and potato soup...really? No flavour at all just coloured potato water.
The chowder made me extremely poorly. Ruined my holiday I was sick all night following this meal. I only had a few mouthfuls and knew it was wrong.
I have stayed in many hotels on coach holidays the majority serving freshly made food using fresh ingredients and taking pride in this. If they can do it then why cant you? Says a lot to everyone when even the coach driver stops eating the meals you served.
I have never left a bad review before so something for you all to think about.
I do not recommend this hotel for a coach holiday stay.

Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

Leisuretime trip on a mystery, arrived to a remote location, no entertainment, food like school dinners, although paying guests booking into hotel served better food, made to feel like second class, also no seats as hotel booked a conference on thursday, so couldn't sit in bar area , all in all a pretty poor experience

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Dean L, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2019

Dear Katrina

Thank you for your review.

i can see from your review that you were booked on a coach tour and as such the company you booked via would have detailed what was in your package.It is not fair to say the hotel is in a remote location it is not on top of the Yorkshire Moors but 5.9 miles from Middlesbrough train station, their was no entertainment as the hotel does not include this in the price or indeed have it requested from the tour company. i would disagree that the food served to you is like a school dinner, whilst we do serve all guests on a tour at the same time, you were offered a three course three choice menu and came up to a carvery for your main course.
I am sorry you were not able to find seating in the bar area, we had used a small area of the hotel bar that evening to launch an initiative in partnership with the charity Mind as i feel it is very important to try and support local charity work in an area that has not been spoken about enough.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 5, 2019

Stayed here on a Monday to Friday holiday with a collegue supporting an individual we care for.
We asked for 3 single beds and had a double and a single.
The food was disgusting, repetitive,tasteless and small portion sizes.
The hotel was in the middle of nowhere so after evening meal we couldn't go for a walk,there was no entertainment, so bed was the only option by 8.30 every night.
How this hotel can say it's a 4 star is beyond me.
It's ok for a one night stop over,but not as a base for a touring coach holiday.
The coach company need to think long and hard about bring their customers here.

Dear Mandaaandmike

Thank you for your review although i do think some of your comments should be directed at the company you booked via.

The hotel does not have any rooms with three single beds and no such request was given to the hotel, whilst i understand your frustration with this as the hotel was full over that time we could not offer any alternative.

The location of the hotel is 5.9 miles from the main train station so is not fair to say it is remote, had to asked at reception they would have possibly directed you across the road where there is a woodland walk area. The company did not book any entertainment for you in the package so none was provided.

All menus for each night were different and the main course is served at a carvery where you can help yourself to as much vegetables as you wish. i am sorry that the menus for not to your liking

kind regards

Dean

Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

Booked for Sunday lunch , waited ages for drinks order to be taken ,they never arrived so had to go and ask if anybody was bringing them. I then had to go and ask if a member of staff could take our starter order, we were told to just join the queue when we had finished our starters.
My husband and two grandchildren stood and waited at least 15 minutes only to be told they only had 15 chicken breast left I think they were cooking them as they had ran out of food . I was not a happy customer and I definitely would not go back .

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Janice

on that sunday we did have a large amount of guest who wanted to come and eat Sunday Lunch with us and i am sorry that your experience was not up to the standard that i would except. We are extending our carvery serving times and making alterations to aspects of the service to ensure we can facilitate the demand.

Kind regards