“Tired faulty towers”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Not sure where to start here, the whole hotel is tired and dated and in urgent need of refurbishment. We were forced to eat in the restaurant because of finishing work late. I was pleased to be told we were in luck because the curry chef was on, curry of the day turned out to be turkey left over from Mother's Day. All the meals were over priced. My colleague asked what the Coq au Vin came with and was pleased to be told chicken. At breakfast he asked for water and was told there was plenty of water in the orange juice? Thankfully this was a business trip I wouldn't pay my own money to stay here. There is one positive the gym is well equipped.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank colin r
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with both the Hotel and the Old Poste House Restaurant. We are in the process of re-decorating the front of house areas of the Hotel as well as replacing carpets, curtains, beds and windows in the bedrooms of the Hotel. However not all of the bedrooms have been re-decorated as yet and I am sorry that the one you stayed in has not yet been.

With regards to the Restaurant, we have a high volume of repeat customers within the Hotel of which we have not received adverse comments about the price of the food from. It is extremely common for the Old Poste House to have two Curry's on as a special, of which I am sorry that we did not have on this occasion and that the one that we subsequently had on had Turkey in it. The usual Curries that we offer are either Fish, Chicken or Lamb and on numerous occasions we also offer a Vegetable curry. I have spoken to both the Kitchen and the Restaurant teams about the offering that we have on and the descriptions to guests about what the dishes entail.

Once again, I am sorry for the reduced service levels that you received from the team at the Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Don't stay here it is awful......Rooms are tired looking and in need of attention, mouldy and smelly shower curtains. Cold plates at breakfast. Decor tatty and needs replacing, the price of accommodation is a scandal considering the state of the rooms and the hotel in general.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kermie65

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at The Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Hotel in respect of the décor, we are currently upgrading our bedrooms by replacing curtains, carpets and windows, as well as re-decorating the bedrooms. As I am sure you can appreciate this is a lengthy process.

With regards to the plates at Breakfast being cold. I am sorry that you felt that this was the case, as the plates are kept in a hot holding cupboard prior to them being placed on the Carvery. I have however raised your comments with the Breakfast team to ensure that a situation such as this does not occur again in the future.

Once again, I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Dripping toilet cistern (noisy at night) reported upon check in Monday. Not touched by Wednesday despite promises. Shower curtain has extensive and dated mould on it at the bottom. 2 bulbs in room blown - not renewed during stay. Decor dreadful (wallpaper torn/peeling from walls). Colleague staying here ordered chicken burger in restaurant - served roar in the centre but no apology, just "would you like it changed"
Make your own choice - just don't say you weren't warned

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave C
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Please accept my apologies that all of the things that you reported to Reception were not acknowledged or rectified by the Maintenance team. There is a designated procedure in place, whereby all maintenance issues are logged on the Front Office system and are printed out daily. With more urgent issues raised directly to the Maintenance Manager. I can assure you that the omission in dealing with the Toilet cistern and the light bulbs is not something that usually happens. I have however discussed your comments with my Maintenance Manager to ensure that the correct procedures are in place to avoid a situation such as this happening again.

With regards to the Shower curtain, I have reprimanded the Housekeeping team for this, as there is no reason that a Shower curtain in this state should remain in a guests' bedroom.

I am sorry that on the occasion that your colleague was served a partially un-cooked Parmo burger that no-one offered an apology. All of the Duty Managers are empowered to deal with such situations and I am so sorry that this did not happen on this occasion. I have also spoken to Head Chef about why the food was served in the way it was to begin with to avoid such an incident as this arising again in the future.

Once again, please accept my humblest apologies for the reduced service levels that you received during your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I booked this hotel for a business trip as my usual trustworthy Premier Inn was fully booked - what a mistake. The bar and restaurant staff were disinterested, the WiFi didn't work and I couldn't work the shower at all. At breakfast no-one explained it was self service (the self service was round a blind corner) and no-one offered me any coffee. The room was basic and tired, holes in the duvet cover and quite cramped. I didn't use the facilities, but based on my experience of evertyhing else, not sure I would trust them! Parking was a bit of a pain - all the spaces were taken up by the gym users so I had to park in a dark overflow carpark.

All in all, I definitely won't be going back - yes it's cheap, but there is a minimum anyone should expect!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank June1971

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you experienced shortfalls in service levels during your stay and felt that the Hotel was basic and tired. We are currently going through a programme of re-decoration in the bedrooms, including replacement of carpets, beds and curtains, having already replaced all of the Televisions and a number of the bedroom windows.

I can only further apologise that the team at Breakfast did not advise you on arrival to the Breakfast room that Breakfast is self-service with the exception of Tea and Coffee, which is brought to guests at their table.

The Hotel has five car parks, which surround the Hotel and whilst a number of the Gym members do utilise the front car park, all areas are used by both Hotel and Gym members alike, however I am sorry that you did not feel that there was adequate lighting.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the reduced service levels that you received from the team.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel previously as the standards in the past have generaly been tolerable unfortunately however since my last stay standards have plummeted. The hotel needs a full revamp starting with the corridors as carpets are thread bare and wall coverings are out of date. My room was better but could have done with a good clean. Soap dispensers were empty and the room lacked basic things like an iron. Secondly staff could do with attending an intense training course on customer service as service levels are poor and sometimes none existant. I waited over 30 minutes in the restraunt for someone to take my order and in the end got up and walked out. Breakfast was no better and after choosing the continental breakfast I discovered no bowls no fruit salad no milk no glasees however stafff happily walked around offering coffee and tea to customers already on their second cup. Again I got up and walked out. Things are that bad the staff on reception no longer ask how your stay was. I wont be staying again..

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Philylar

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that during your last stay that you did not find the staff to be friendly and courteous and that on two occasions you were left to walk out of the Restaurant, due to the staff not being attentive. The points you raised have been discussed with the Restaurant team to ensure that a situation such as this does not occur again in the future.

With regards to the corridor carpet, these are scheduled to be replaced in the up and coming months.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I didn't find my room to be that bad, especially compared to other comments, however it was all just average. It wasn't up the the quality you would expect from some of the bigger branded, budget hotels but not terrible.

Most disappointed for me was the breakfast. I was working through part of the night so I went to breakfast late (about 9.30 I think) and it was obvious the cooked food had been under the heat lamps for a long time. Nothing was fresh, including the pastries etc so I ended up having cereal and leaving feeling short changed.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the Breakfast offering, when you went down to Breakfast at 9.30am. Breakfast is served until 10am during the week, with the Hot foods being replenished throughout the period of service. I can only apologise that this was not the case on the morning in question. I have raised your comments with both the Head Chef and the Restaurant Manager to ensure that the Hot buffet is replenished regularly throughout service and that if low numbers are remaining that the Hot food is served plated from the Kitchen.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team. I hope that this experience will not deter you from staying at the Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My God !!! - I have a wedding to got to here next July and I am already contemplating the experience. If ever a hotel needed Nick Knowles and Tommy Walsh this is it !!!! We stopped as it was close to a lovely restaurant called Chadwick's which is in a village quite close to The Sporting Lodge, I recall the Post House, as it was previously known having a fairly decent reputation but that was in the 80's/90's..the bar and restaurant areas are grim !!! not enough staff to cope either, more beers off than on too reduced the choices available. Breakfast was instantly forgettable. Unlike other reviews, our room was ok, clean and with a comfortable bed. Some salvation for the downfall of the rest of the experience. The breakfast staff as were reception were very friendly and trying to do a god job.

Room Tip: Roll a dice and pick a number...it seems its hit and miss.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received in the old Poste House in respect of the availability of Beers and the poor Breakfast.

We dispense 5 Lagers, 4 Bitters and 1 Cider on draught in the main Hotel, with the Hotel function room dispensing slightly less choice. I can only apologise that during the time in which you stayed at the Hotel that we were limited in the choices available on draught. I have addressed your comments with the Bars Manager as this is not something that has been brought to my attention previously.

Similarly, I have addressed your comments about the poor Breakfast with both the Restaurant and Kitchen teams.

I hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.