“Reminds of 'The Shining'”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel has a very old theme to it. The furniture, carpets, utensils, kettle, cups in room...everything is old. There had been good attempt to have it nice and clean but I guess it's just so old that you feel like in the 60s? The wood/carpet/old washbasins, pot...smell...walking down the endless corridor reminded me of the movie "the shining". Like no one has stayed there for long, and yet you hear random noises behind the doors easily even if someone's watching tv. The shower was terrible, only hot boiling water, the controls only made it even hotter. This is the first I have experienced.

Now, the food: Excellent, the staff: greatly helpful, the service: prompt & friendly, gym& pool: very well stocked and maintained, plenty of space and equipment for exercise. Overall, a great place to stay let down by lack of investment. Please provide your lovely staff a better hotel and see how many business travellers make this their home.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge

Reviewed June 24, 2013

BEDBUGS! The mattress looked like someone had given birth on it. Over 60 Bites on my body - massive welts from the bites 2 weeks later. Trying to conduct training with intolerable itching skin and large yellow/red bite marks on hands and body - awful!. I shall post the pictures of the bites and the large blood engorged bed bug at a later date when I return from my business trip.

I have been forced to throw all of my clothing away and being kind to them at the time as I was (and discrete enough not to march into reception with the bug and my bite covered body) I figured they would at least have the decency to refund the cost on my clothes - instead I was offered High street vouchers for 1/4 the cost on my clothing.

The tone of the apology letter was 'unfortunate that but due to the amount of visitors its perks of the job if you get eaten alive by blood sucking human parasites!'

I implore you either :

A) Stay in a Gulag
B) Sleep on the Streets or if these are full
C) take DDT, a Steam Mop, and disposable paper clothing

if you risk it now and stay at this alleged 'hotel'

I am now going to shower again! eeeeuuuughhhhh!

3  Thank Gary M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is very tired and in need of a complete re-fit. The bathrooms are small and bedroom furniture is shabby and still the same as when it was first built which I guess was the late 80s. Overall this hotel is expensive for what you get.

Despite all this the staff were very friendly and always helpful. They deserve better surroundings to work in.

Room Tip: find another hotel.
1  Thank roy t
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The service, Food and rooms are way below standards, Would never visit again. The staff and management are extremely rude and unfriendly, the deals on the website (do not exist) and do not match what is being offered in the hotel. Beds have spring poking thru the mattress mold on the shower heads when i complained about the room i was asked to leave the hotel after they had taken money. Please don't make the same mistake i made.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went for Father's Day lunch.. First impressions.. Lovely restaurant and bar which was clean and modern.However we were greeted by a waitress which told us our table was not ready even though it had been pre booked and paid for.We waited and then were shown to our seats 20 mins later. We ordered our food and were sat waiting for what seemed forever!One of the starters was off the menu.. Waitresses kept coming and asking had we got our food yet and were shocked we hadn't so they kept disappearing to the kitchen to find out where it was! We had a very hungry 5 year old and a baby to contend with! Starters arrived a good 45 mins later.. Just two salads to make??We then had our carvery main course,my partner got next to no meat probably because they were short, the Yorkshire puds had run out, the sauces had run out, the broccoli may aswell have been raw! Then there was another wait for pudding, the puddings came and no pudding for our 5 year old which had been ordered! All around us were people just getting apologies for delay and complaints that they had waited so long! A lot of the staff didnt seem to know what they were doing!Lovely place, nice food and reasonable price but badly let down by the appalling service! Wouldn't go again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a 3 day business course and was very disappointed with the wifi or rather lack of it. I tried all over the hotel and just couldn't get it. My phone reception was rubbish too so I had problems keeping in touch with family. I ended up hanging out of the hotel window just to let my husband know I was fine!!!!! Not ideal. Reception staff were lovely as were most of the staff but after ordering dinner (on both nights) we waited nearly an hour to be served. I ordered a glass on wine with my meal and gave the waitress my room number. At nine thirty in the evening I received a phone call in my bedroom advising me I had left without paying for my wine. I told the caller that I had given my room number and assumed it would be charged when I checked out but I would pay for it at breakfast since it was such a problem. I was informed that I needed to go down to the bar instantly to pay. I explained that I had my PJ's on and was already in bed but no, they insisted that I go down to the bar and pay for the glass of wine. When I arrived at the bar I met two of my colleagues who had exactly the same problem. Absolutely ridiculous. The following evening we had our meal and went to pay for the "extras" i.e. glass of wine, a beer etc. There were 5 or six of us each paying for one drink and it took almost 30 minutes to complete. It was a disgrace. I'm not blaming the staff, maybe its the tools their working with but whatever it is they need to fix it. The position of the hotel is not great either, no shops or pubs nearby that you could walk to but hey if your on business then that's not really a problem. All in all the chances are I will need to return to this hotel again for business so I hope they can fix out the problems before I get there. Especially the wifi.

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

As a regular business traveler I find it important to have good Internet access to allow me to work. This was worst Internet access of any hotel I've stayed in. They even moved me rooms for "better signal" and it was worse. Virtually no phone signal either. Seems to be in a total black spot. Felt sorry for receptionist as everyone was complaining.

• Stayed: May 2013