“A real dissapointment”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Darlington (uk)
“A real dissapointment”
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Having just moved away from the area it was strange to be returning to this part of the world for a business trip, but at least I would get to sample the local hotel and night life!

When I arrived I was happy to find plenty of car parking space and quite a modern building, so it was quite a good start. Unfortunately however it really went downhill from there. When I arrived at the reception desk I was greeted by a lady who quite clearly didn’t want to be there. She appeared far more interested in texting her mates! She dived straight in and told me I was in a smoking room. When I explained I wanted a non smoking room she immediately dismissed me by snapping “there all booked!” no apology or anything. She then went on to ask for a credit card payment even though my company had paid. Despite my explanation I was told “how can I guarantee you won’t leave without paying”. After agreeing to contact the travel agent I was then advised that I could eat at the Toby Carvery (on site pub) until ten o clock.

So I made my way to my room, the staircases, corridors etc were all well kept. The room was OK but stunk of cigarettes. Bits of the bathroom were grubby but the most bizarre thing was what appeared to be blood stains on the curtains. It certainly made me wonder what may have happened in that room!?

As per the receptionists advice I went to the Toby Carvery with my colleague at 9.00 only to be told that they close for food at 9.00 and couldn’t serve me. I explained what the hotel staff said and was told there were more or less talking rubbish! I ended up going into town by taxi instead. The Carvery is fine but the menu literally is Carvery so I would definitely encourage you to take a taxi down to Linthorpe Road where there is a great choice of Italian, Chinese, American, Indian and others.

The breakfast is a self service buffet of croissants, fruit, yoghurt and cereal but is not organised and is a complete free for all. You have to barge your way in if you want anything, it is a bit like a cheap cafeteria but the breakfast is in the price so I can’t complain too much. One observation I did make about this area is that a complementary coffee machine was in place early in the week, but as the days went by someone put a £1 sign up. I find this a bit insulting considering I paid over £250 for the week!!

As explained earlier the poor service didn’t stop. As per the note in the room reception can provide you with toothpaste and other extras if required. I asked for additional toothpaste and watched for twenty minutes as the man behind reception emptied about ten boxes all over the floor into a huge pile only to announce “no don’t have none mate”.

Another example of this apparently lazy approach came to light this week when my friend advised me that he called in and left a message for me. I never received the message so I can only assume it was filed in the bin!

Overall this hotel isn’t too bad for £53 per night but the service is very poor, with staff who appear to be untrained and disinterested, this maybe down to poor training or dare I say it workers being paid very little for very long hours. Whatever Holiday Inn you need to look at this as its letting you down!

• Liked — Convenient Location
  • Disliked — Staff Attitude
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank graemeboro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2006

Booked a famly room but arrived to find the sofa bed not made up. Little help from reception other than providing sheets and towels to make it up ourselves.
Room average but shower enclosure dirty and mouldy and the thermostatic shower not working properly.
Breakfast OK.
Adjacent to a Carvery where the food was OK but the beer unimpressive.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, staff service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Perth, Scotland
Reviewed May 11, 2006

We stayed for a week and could not find a fault with the hotel or the staff. If you wanted directions or information about anything the staff would give an answer quickly and with a smile.
Bedrooms were clean and had a firm bed not like the soft ones that are in most hotels.
The carvery next to the hotel was great value for money if you wanted a 3 course meal. Again the staff were helpful and would have a laugh with you to make you feel welcome.
I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2006

After readiing some of the negative views on the site about this hotel, I was not looking forward to my stay here, however as stated above, I was pleasantly surprised!!

I stayed here in April 2006 for a quick night's rest and somewhere to get our heads down. Reception staff were very helpful when we called for directions when we were lost in Middlesborough.

The room (room 214)was very clean, spacious and with tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was lovely- very modern and with a huge shower cubilcle. The hotel was equipped with the traveller in mind with an area at reception where you could get free tea/cofee at all times and a large vending machine with snacks and water/soft drinks. We forgot our toothbrushes and after seeing a sign in the bathroom to call down to reception if you had forgotten anything, we did so and went down to collect our complementary (new!) toothbrushes. They also offer a range of toiletries free of charge if you have forgotten anything.

Breakfast is served until 1130 at the weekends and had an excellent range of cererals, toast, fruit juice, tea/cofee etc. All of this was EXCELLENT value at just under £50.

This 'express' hotel was of a higher standard, in terms of cleanliness, room size and 'spec' than so called 4 star Hiltons and Ramada hotels I have stayed in previously.

Dont hesitate to stay here for excellent value and somewhere actually pleasant to stay

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Trinity256
Lincolnshire
Reviewed November 16, 2005

The bed was broken, the room was dirty and smelt of cigars (despite being a no-smoking room ???). When I complained, no was was interested. It was the worst night I have spent in a hotel room.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank HotelInspector_7
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 12, 2005

I stayed at the Express because my usual hotel was booked up. It was terrible, the room was dirty and there was mould growing off the shower head.
The staff have no idea how to look after a guest. They receptionist was also rude.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

brilliant hotel,staff & food.
very friendly & helpfull staff.
we will return

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlesbrough
Holiday Inn Express Middlesbrough - Centre Square
#6 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Middlesbrough Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees/Mid...
#2 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees

Been to Premier Inn Middlesbrough Central South Hotel? Share your experiences!