“Rude landlord!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Rude landlord!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The landlord (wore a badge saying landlord) was rude!
On arrival we asked politely if it was ok to sit anywhere, he abruptly asked how many of there were (2) and said to sit at table number whatever...
After we had eaten, we were just sat contemplating whether to order desserts. He was staring, I smiled and he gave a stern look! We didn't stay for dessert.
We left and politely said thank you and left, he totally ignored me and my friend. The Manageress (wore a badge saying manageress) was polite and said bye from the other side of bar.

The dog outside got more of a response than we did.

Food was ok, pub itself seemed canny.

No need for rudeness, landlords are supposed to be warm and welcoming... Won't be going back,
Would prefer to spend my money else where. Manners... Priceless.

• Visited August 2013
9 Thank Anna5781

Middlesbrough
“Great Value and Excellent Service”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

A gem of a pub, great home cooked food at a very fair price. We visited for a birthaday, grup of 8. The staff where very friendly and helpful, the menu had a good choice if not a little to much and the portions where very generous. If you like "real chips" you will love this place

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dave P
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Bad attitude to wheelchair user”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked a table for 12 people for Sunday lunch time. I advised the chap on the phone that we had one person in a wheelchair, and he actually thanked me for letting them know because they have different tables for wheelchairs - I knew this, because my daughter had taken my wheelchair bound dad there before and could not get his legs/wheelchair under the normal low level tables so she told me to let them know on the phone.

When we arrived, the landlord (?) asked if the person in the wheelchair could get out of it, to which my daughter in law said no. We then told him that the table was not suitable because it was low and my dad could not get his legs under the table so would not be able to reach his food. He said that there was nothing he could do because if my dad sat anywhere but the designated place at the table, he would block the aisle. My son suggested turning one table around and placing it against the wall so that we could put my dad up to the table that way. No, said he.

Then we suggested moving two chairs out to allow him to sit at the side. No again. He then said that if we had let them know when we booked that we had a wheelchair, they would have given us another table. I said, but I did tell the chap on the phone, and he thanked me for letting him know!

He snapped, 'well, its not in the the book' - OK, so, that's my fault, then?? That your staff don't put things in the book! He was most unhelpful and just refused to suggest alternatives so that this poor old gent could sit in a wheelchair and eat a meal. My dad felt humiliated.

Bad enough being in a wheelchair, but not good at all for an able bodied person to make him feel that he is 'in the way'. We were just 'too much trouble' for this guy, obviously, because we had a wheelchair and we wanted the person in it to sit at the table to eat!! Quelle surprise! My friend then said, 'if it's too much trouble for you, we can always go elsewhere'. The man shrugged and stood back. He was determined not to even try to find a solution to suit this wheelchair user.

Unbelievable in this day and age. There is a care home just yards from this pub - full of disabled people - my dad is one of them!

Fortunately, we have a ramped vehicle because if we hadn't had that, my poor dad would have had to miss out on a special lunch with his whole family and gone back to the care home without his 'treat' of a day out with his family - does this landlord not consider the feelings of the disabled person?.

We had a happy ending though - went to a favourite pub in Redcar, told them what happened, and they found us a table - helped get my dad settled in to a table where his wheelchair could actually reach the food on the table and the food was delicious. And their reward for excellent customer service was a pretty hefty bank balance after we left!

Would not recommend this place simply based on the managers attitude to my poor dad.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank TrishaHolderFisher
Kelly W, Owner at The Half Moon Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your time in writing a review for my business. We welcome feedback both good and bad, HOWEVER, in this situation your comments are totally INCORRECT..!!

Firstly, your party of 12 were offered 3 options of tables to which you declined every suggestion offered by the landlord.

Your daughter in law (if that was the lady pushing the gent in the wheelchair) was rude, disrespectful and did not want to listen to any suggestion made.

Secondly, we apologised that we were unable to place a table against the wall as suggested by a male member of your group as this would obstruct the walk way causing a Health & Safety issue for both my staff and other customers using the pub. We DID explain this in full at the time..!!

Thirdly, the lady who was with your party wearing the yellow t-shirt, who ordered a pint of fosters, a pint of old speckled hen and half a strongbow was addiment that she was not going to stay at the pub for lunch due to it only serving Sunday dinner until 3pm. I know this for sure as I personally served her at the bar and offered her a number of options regarding her meal and she clearly told me she was not happy..!!

Finally, I have personally took a video & photos of the way the tables were set out on that day at that time with the staff that were working too and I can assure you the three choices of options that were offered we're more than comfortable for your father. My business welcomes customers from all walks of life and we have a number of disabled people that use my pub on a weekly basis that would totally disagree with your comments.

I can only apologise if your father felt "hurt or humiliated" due to the events that took place last Sunday but I can assure you that this was due to no fault of my staff or father what so ever but due to the fact that your daughter in law was raising her voice and causing an issue with no consideration towards anyone else dining at that time, whilst other members of your party were trying to resolve the issue with my management team.

If you would like to come in and see me personally to watch the video, see the photos and speak to the staff on duty that day to get there comments on this matter you are more than welcome.

I look forward to meeting you in person to resolve this issue.

Regards

Kelly Wilson
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Still The Tops”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

If you want fresh food, well prepared and served and at a sensible price this is the place for you. Today, fish and chips were the best I've had for ages. Chips were hand cut and probably twice cooked. 1st Class. Don't expect your meal to be on the table in 10 minutes - it takes a little longer to do things properly and it's cooked to order.

• Visited May 2013
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Nice little pub meal”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stopped here for a bit of dinner, it didn't wow me but I wasn't expecting it too. Me and my partner ordered the small parmo which was more than ample. It was very nice and the other half loved the chips. It was a good meal at a fair price, nice surroundings and good service.

• Visited May 2013