The Half Moon Inn
Ranked #59 of 314 Restaurants in Middlesbrough
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I attended the half moon in with my daughter Friday 11th January I was welcomed at the door by the landlord, unfortuanitly it was after 6pm and no children where allowed in the bar so we where seated in the resteraunt, I felt it was a very welcoming environment and the staff where also friendly, I had a chicken parmosan with chips and my daughter had childrens pizza chips and beans, can i just say the food was delishious and i would really recommend this pub to you all, the staff even offered to box up our left overs as the portions where so great. :-)

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Have visited the half moon many many times,family,friends,have recommended to lots of people.
I have now moved into the village,and until recently was always happy with the times I spent in the half moon.
My daughter travelled all the way from Wiltshire with her new born son to visit,my family,as in brother and his better half and step daughter also came along,we went along to the half moon,steak night on a fri,wanted a meal and a couple of drinks,we knew we would be made to feel welcome here.
How wrong we were,we were approaching the front door,where the landlord met us before we got in the door,he asked if we were the party of 9 that he was expecting,my brother answered no.
Sorry I'm expecting a party of 9 and I have no other room,we have dined there many times on a fri without having to book,this was on the 11jan,the place was very very quiet.
We were not even given the chance to have a drink,we were turned away at the door.
In this current climate,I find this very hard to believe that he could not accommodate our party,and that he does not need any further business.
As for the place itself,I feel that this landlord needs to take some lessons in customer service.
The place is now going down hill fast due to the change,I personally took offence to the way me and my family were treated,shocking,and disgusting.
Things to need to change before you go under,you cannot pick and choose who you let in,the people who go to the pub are your income.
I for one will certainly not recommend you to anybody else.

3  Thank Kim W
Kelly W, Owner at The Half Moon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

I am really sorry you felt you were not welcomed at my pub when you came with your family but we were fully booked on that night. It was our Country & Western night, which we have twice a month, and unfortunately for yourself we didn't have any tables left to seat you for even a drink. With you being a regular in our pub you would know its always best to book a table, especially on a weekend. With you living in the village, I would really welcome you to pop in and see me so we can resolve any issues that you may have regarding the way you felt you were treated by my father on this night as I have watched it back on camera and all seemed fine. I look forward to speaking to you in person.
Regards
Kelly

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have eaten here a few times and have to say it gets better everytime I visit :)
The food is homemade and tastes gorgeous, the servings are large and food is served quickly and with a smile :)
The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and even informed me of themed evenings and charity events they put on.
Overall I would say this is a very welcoming pub serving hearty, homemade foods with a smile. The fact they do so much for charity and the local community makes it even more impressive.

I cannot recommend this pub enough - EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!!!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fancied a change so called in at The Halfmoon. Really friendly staff who were aware of all the menu -and more so aware of locality of locally sourced ingredients (well done). Never rushed into anything and staff approachable at all times. I myself had the parmo with the the hot shot topping - wow real pleasure. My good lady had the classic curry, with rice and salad. Fresh and crisp - well done! Chips were home made and plenty to boot. Choice of drinks was welcoming with myself opting for the Carling and the same for the wife.
Through out the meal we were asked by the staff if we were happy with everything, which we were!
The atmosphere throughout was easy going and wouldn't hesitate to advise others to spend some time there!
Real pleasure and will be back :-)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

One of the things I love as a Turkey & stuffing, brussel sprout and Xmas pud fan are my Xmas lunches. I opted for the Xmas fare last week at this location and was spectacularly unimpressed. It was edible but that’s as good as it gets.
For first course I had pate. The pate was supermarket and ok but far from generous. However it was sufficient for the small amount of toast (2 x ¼ of a slice of bread) provided which seemed to have been created from your average sliced loaf. As stated it was edible but not at all imaginative, inspiring or enough to stand out from the masses and make me want to try it again. I have more exciting bread and pate combinations in my lunch pack up at work!
The main course followed the bland theme. I’m pretty certain it was processed sliced turkey. All edible, but average.
The Xmas pudding revived spirits, it was actually very nice. A bit too nutty for my personal tastes but I stress that’s me and it was good.
The service was acceptable and staff sociable.
The Xmas lunch experience would not inspire me to return to this establishment and compared to the offerings a couple of years ago, poor. However I noted with interest that some of the none Xmas lunch meals being served to other customers looked very nice indeed.
That leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, do I go back and try their , hopefully tasty, conventional menu or do I vote with my feet and go elsewhere after feeling a little bit peeved that I was served from a get ‘em in and out budget xmas lunch production line.
In my heart of hearts I really don’t think I will return. As with other establishments in this area the Half Moon needs to realise there’s some serious competition out there at the same price break.