“Nice meal on a rainy day.”
Review of Bistrot Pierre

Bistrot Pierre
Order Online
Ranked #19 of 357 Restaurants in Middlesbrough
Description: Enjoy freshly prepared French food in Middlesbrough. Located opposite the Town Hall near Teesside University, our stylish bistrot offers a relaxing place in which to enjoy affordable French-style dishes, freshly prepared by our chefs every day. Inspired by our travels around France and beyond our menus combine bistrot classics with new seasonal dishes. Why not try our incredibly popular Prix fixe lunch menu where you can enjoy 2 courses for £12.95, or our 2 course Early Evening menu for £15.95? Every evening there’s even more to enjoy from our extensive Evening menu. Whether you’re on a shopping trip, lunching with friends, fancy a relaxed family meal or a celebratory dinner, our bistrot is the perfect place to eat in Middlesbrough. Open 7 days a week for lunch, dinner and breakfast too at the weekends, we have something for everyone including gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options.
Reviewed June 17, 2019

We went out for a meal, and since it was rainig I spotted this restaurant from the hotel. It was only 100 meter to walk and it looked promising. The menu had lots of choises and I ended up with Beef bourguignon as main course. It tasted very nice with tender meat that has been slowly cooked for a long time. Nice house red vine and for dessert I had Crème brûlée. All in all a very nice meal in a nice setting. Will come back next time.

Date of visit: June 2019
106philo, General Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi There,

Thanks for you review. Glad to hear you enjoyed the beef which is one of our signature dishes. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2019

Family visit, food wasn't up-to standard you would expect from price. Charge for meal then charge as a side for the chips that came with meal anyway, forgot to bring drinks, kids desserts larger than adult portions, had stuff not available on the set menu that was specifically for that day (fathers day) and actually just brought a different pudding out without telling us our order wasn't available or check replacement suitable. Tell waitress who ignored me and management couldn't care less. Got glared at as we left.

Want a restaurant that serves average food and small portions at high price and treats customers like rubbish then eat here

1  Thank Darrell K
106philo, Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you again for leaving your second review, as mentioned in your previous one below, we appreciate your constructive feedback, which will be taken on board in furthering our service.

Many Thanks
Philomena Makhumula

Reviewed June 16, 2019

You will see I have previously left a positive review for BP, and we have had many good meals there but our most recent trip left a lot to be desired.
Went for fathers day lunch. the kids menu was different to usual (fair enough) but my daughters favourite (chicken and chips) wasnt on. Waitress explained that we could have a chicken roast dinner, but instead of potatoes and veg they could just do chips. great, fair enough. later found out we were charged for a side of fries, which our waitress eventually sulkily said was taken off the bill "as a goodwill gesture" with no apology for any misunderstanding.
Second thing - my cod wrapped in ham tasted of nothing. the cod still had its skin on when wrapped in ham, so the skin was all flabby and inedible. the ham wasnt crisped up or anything so again just tasted of nothing. A waitress asked after I'd only had a mouthful if it was ok, and at that point I'd not eaten enough to make a decision. in fairness I was hungry and ate it, so in isolation not a big deal.
Ordered a dessert (suzette tart, orange). was brought a lemon tart (which wasnt on the menu at all). when I told waitress it wasnt what I ordered, she said it was. eventually convinced her it wasnt. she disappeared and then brought it back with the sorbet melted, saying there was no tart suzette, did I want this lemon one. at this point I just said yes because it had been going on for so long.
Drinks ordered and never arrived, staff had to be reminded.
When the waitress (bear in mind pretty much a different waitress every time) took our payment, we did say we hadn't had a particularly great time. She didn't even acknowledge us or apologise or anything. She proceeded to then tell other waiting staff about us, resulting in one of them staring at us while my daughter finished her drink.
When we were leaving we were asked if all ok by what I presume is manager / supervisor. I said it wasnt. she was pleasant enough, but also a bit defensive (you said your main was ok, its company policy to ask if your food is ok so soon after its put down in front of you). Not really any apology,but did accept that staff maybe needed further training on dealing with complaints.
Just left us a bit deflated after what should have been a nice fathers day lunch, and after many previous good experiences.

1  Thank purplestrawberry

Thank you for taking time to leave your constructive feedback. All comments been been taken on board in further to improving our service.

Many Thanks
Philomena Makhumula

Reviewed June 11, 2019 via mobile

Portion sizes are small (my noodle armed girlfriend says that) but good quality.

We like the decor but it always seems a little bit empty and full of transients who may or may not be utilising their business trips for nefarious reasons.

Date of visit: January 2019
2  Thank DanTheGreat123
106philo, General Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2019

Hi There,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and we will take on board your comments about portion size however we do aim to provide a value for money, quality menu with portion sizes that are generous.

As for the guests that we're in on Tuesday night - I can't comment on the reasons for their business trips but we regularly receive guests from the hotel next door who return regularly when in Middlesbrough as they enjoy the ambience and food in the restaurant. It was a little quiet when you visited yes, as it was Tuesday night and pouring down.

Reviewed June 7, 2019

I’ve eaten here several times over the past year and never had a poor meal. I’ve had the specials, or just a salad and starter, or a la carte meals. All were excellent.

After spending the weekend in Scotland and walking from the train station I stopped in and was craving a burger. It was one of the best burgers I have ever had! Perfectly cooked, juicy, just the right size. French fries were good as well. I still tell people the best burger I’ve ever had was at a French restaurant in England!

Date of visit: October 2018
106philo, General Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2019

Hi Lisa M,

We are very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your visits to our Bistro and just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to leave us your kind feedback. We hope to see you again soon!