“Romantic birthday treat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middlesbrough
Whinstone View Lodges
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My partner treated me to a stay here for two nights in the Roma lodge and it was perfect, the best birthday treat I have ever had. We went in dec and there was a little bit of snow which I think added to the romance, it in no way limited the use of the hot tub if anything we had even more of a laugh running to get in it. The hot tub was fantastic very clean and private, we drank wine and laughed and enjoyed the whole experience. The lodge was perfect, the red decor added to the romance. The bathroom was clean and the full size shower was a treat. The bed and bedding was perfect and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was also very good. My partner payed £480 for two nights which is a little steep but I know they do some offers, it's worth it for a treat though.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed the night in the Roma lodge, loved every single minute of it was so peaceful sat outside on the chairs looking at the view. Hot tub was amazing even though the weather was quite cold it was boiling sat inside the tub, luxury lodges. Staff are great. I felt so spoilt being there it was a lovely experience I would definitely go again but just so expensive for one night away!

Room Tip: Roma lodge was amazing, nicely decorated and bed was lovely and comfy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked a nights stay in the Roma lodge as a surprise for my boyfriend and we absolutely loved it! The lodge was decorated wonderfully and the walk-in shower was fabulous! The best bit was probably the private hot tub, especially as it was a freezing March day. The customer service was excellent. Even though we weren't eating in their bistro that evening, the receptionist offered to book a taxi for us to take us to where we were eating!
The lodges are quite expensive but they often have mid-week or special offers on so I suggest keeping an eye out on their website.
The only down side to the stay, which in no way had anything to do with the company, was it was a particularly windy day/night when we stayed. To help keep the hot tub private there are large canapies on either side of the porch. These got blown about alot during the night and made quite a lot of noise. It did affect our sleep quite significantly but i am certain that if it hadn't have been windy we would have slept soundly as the bed was so comfortable.
I shall definately be returning!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Absolutely spotless lodges, private hot tub, excellent customer service, nice location and decent food.

Stayed in the Bazare Lodge - bathroom, sofa, bed, cupboard, several light settings, ironing board, iron, hair dryer, ipod docking station, hot tub on the decking, TV (set up to only play the music library), small fridge, kettle, few bottles of water, cookies, crisps, furnished nicely and very romantic.

The £220.00 for one night (including breakfast) might seem a bit steep but the lodges are great and I'd happily go back one day.

1  Thank Jonathan E
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our second visit to Whinstone View, the first time we went it was absolutely brilliant, I proposed to my wife here and we had really fond memories of everything about the place. We recommended this place to many people of which quite a few have visited on our recommendation. However for our second visit we went back for our anniversary in one of the larger cabins with another couple and I felt so strongly about how we were treat I felt I had to write a review.

Firstly as you will see from other reviews the lodges themselves, the setting and the restaurant are all lovely, no complaints at all. Our main issue this time I’m afraid was the staff and general way in which we were treat. Now when you pay £360 for 1 nights break I think you’re entitled to expect to be treat with respect and welcomed on arrival? All we got was a lecture they took our money then basically told us that because there are 4 of us we should keep the noise down and there is a family staying in the next lodge. No mention of have a good time or if you need anything let me know etc. We have children ourselves so are aware of families and believe me children are a lot louder than we were at any point.

Anyway we weren’t going to let that spoil our anniversary (or so we thought). It was obvious us being there was an inconvenience to the staff, I guess the family staying nearby must have paid more money than us (for a longer stay) and were seen as more important. It seems the staff didn’t want any noise at all which is a bit strange when one of the main features is an outside hot tub. Anyway following check in someone came over to show us how to work things and my wife asked a question which was again met with a cold response. After a few hours we decided to go in the hot tub outside, this was around tea time. At around 8pm (you’re allowed in hot tub until midnight as clearly stated on the wall) a member of staff came over asking us not politely but very abruptly to be quiet! She was very rude and when I explained we were simply talking she basically treat us like a bunch of children and told us off. This instantly spoilt the night and changed the mood of the evening. We are not rowdy people, we were 2 couples having a drink and talking, the jets on the hot tub were louder than we were. However my wife was concerned so we literally whispered to each other after this as were concerned about being ‘too loud’. Another hour passed and a sheepish looking member of staff came over from the bistro again asking us to be quiet, saying he could hear us from the bistro/pub. This time we knew we had been really quiet as we had been scared stiff to even speak and there is no way they could have heard us from there. I guess everyone in the pub must have been sat in silence!! I think the man knew this but had been sent over as he looked embarrassed by the fact. At this point our wives were quite upset it had totally spoilt the night (it was 10pm) so we decided to go inside (2 hours earlier than we had too by the rules). After this all we could talk/think about is the way we had been treat from the minute we arrived. I think what upset us the most was that we are not rowdy and were by no means loud, it was obvious they had an issue with us from the minute we arrived but still they take the money don’t they. The next morning when we went for breakfast the same lady who came over invaded our privacy and told of off like school children was outside the bistro, she turned away and walked off without saying a word!! Can you believe how rude these people are?

It’s a shame because I really enjoyed our first visit but our second visit tarnished the memories we had and I will not be recommending this place to people in future, in fact quite the opposite. We are looking to go to a similar place in August and we will be looking elsewhere, I would not give this place a penny again. So in short the staff basically spoilt our anniversary and it cost a small fortune for the privilege. If you want to go, sit in the hot tub and speak to each other then don’t go here. If however you want to check in and go straight to bed this may be the place for you. Often when I read a bad review when most seem to be good I think the customer may just be the type of person who is never happy or always finds problems. I assure you that this is not us (look at my previous review).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NEMH00800
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have visited the bistro several times and always been more than happy with the food. On this occasion we were at the location for a family wedding. I don't really know where to start so I'll just dive in and try to comment on what I feel are the most important facts.
Firstly this was booked approximately 18 months ago and what attracted us was the location (my son-in-law proposed to my daughter on Roseberry Topping, the 'baby mountain' that Whinstone View is at the foot of) plus the fact that we had always had good service and excellent food on our visits helped to make it first choice for our youngest daughters marriage. It transpired that the date the couple had picked was during the Easter break and considering this they were quoted an excellent price.
From the initial meeting with Andrea, both service and communication were outstanding and there was always someone on hand to give our daughter guidance and advice on every stage of planning and delivering the wedding party. They chose a sit down meal for the wedding breakfast and a fantastic hog roast for the evening event.
As a family we had booked all the accommodation as some people were travelling quite a long way and others liked the idea of crashing out in the lodges at the end of the day. Between the family we have travelled to some of the most exciting and exotic places in the world - Egypt, Grand Cayman and the Maldives to name but a few and we all agree that the accommodation in Whinstone View is among the nicest places that any of us have stayed. My husband and I were in the Zoffony lodge, but we all had a peek in each others Lodges and loved how they were all individually styled. Each lodge (apart from the larger 6 berth one) had it's own hot tub, beautifully kitted out bathroom and immaculate living quarters. We didn't actually use the hot tub as it wasn't a drawing feature for us due to having one in our garden at home, however those that did use their hot tub loved the experience and said that for them it made the stay a little more special.
All aspects of the service both during the wedding breakfast and during our family breakfast the next day was outstanding. The staff on duty for the wedding were polite, helpful, attentive - and new to the job! But you couldn't tell! At all times Andrea and Michael were on hand giving them gentle encouragement and prompts to ensure that they did their job correctly.
During the planning of the wedding various options were given, for example the scattering of petals on the bed in the bridal suite. However non of these 'extra's' were taken up. But when we all crowded round the door to watch the groom carry the bride over the threshold it was lovely to see that someone had scattered petals anyway - at no extra charge!
Overall we had a wonderful 24 hours at Whinstone View. The lodges were amazing, absolutely faultless The wedding ceremony was amazing, absolutely faultless, as was the food, the staff and yes the whole experience was amazing and absolutely faultless. Whether you are looking for a romantic weekend away, a larger family get together, a family wedding or just an excuse for relaxing peaceful night away from the rat race, you've found it! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from a one night stay at Whinstone View; we stayed in the Roma lodge. We had an absolutely fantastic time and would recommend it to anyone...well worth the price you pay!

Upon arrival we were greeted by the lovely receptionist who provided us with our key for the night and also gave us a bath bomb for the hot tub - very nice touch! The setting in which the lodges are in is lovely; although the lodges are quite close together, the area is still very secluded and so privacy is still maintained. The Roma lodge boasts modern decor throughout, is very well kept and has all the amenities that you need for an overnight stay, and more. My partner particularly liked the walk in shower - he said it was the best shower he has ever had! The room comes with tea and coffee making facilities, a couple of snacks, a flat screen TV with DVD system and surround sound. The best part of the lodge was of course the hot tub; this was fantastic, we loved how you can change the lighting and even though it was -2 degrees outside, the tub was still hot enough to sit out in at night. To top it off, big fluffy bath robes and slippers were provided which we made great use of dipping in and out of the hot tub!

Dining in the bistro was also great, due to the portion sizes of the food here you will not go hungry - we particularly recommend the Whinstone Whopper! Service was prompt and staff were polite. We also had breakfast the following morning in the bistro which was included within our package; this was one of the best breakfasts we have had whilst staying over in other accommodation. Great selection of tasty foods to choose from and again, you will not go hungry!

All in all we had an amazing time at Whinstone View and we will definitely be returning again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlesbrough
Wynyard Hall
#5 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to Whinstone View Lodges? Share your experiences!