“So good to see in Middlesbrough!”
Review of Bedford St Coffee

Bedford St Coffee
Description: Specialty Food and Drink Haven in Middlesbrough. Serving freshly Roasted Rounton Coffee expertly crafted and with a vibrant and wholesome menu focusing on breakfast and brunch.
Reviewed June 12, 2019

Love this place! Dog friendly coffee shops are part of the specialty coffee game (look up ozone in London for example). It’s about personality and a quality product. After being away from my hometown for many years I was immediately comfortable when I entered this place. Passionate and a genuinely friendly team that’s hard to find wherever you visit. Can’t wait to visit again.

1  Thank MrBlack11

Reviewed June 10, 2019 via mobile

Great coffee, food and service. The guys have really put some thought into the coffee they source and serve. That coupled with great, friendly service (aka top banter) makes this our ‘go to’ place for coffee. The fact that there’s rarely an empty seat all day shows how good this place is. I’m a connoisseur when it comes to cakes and these guys have really hit the mark and they’re all freshly homemade each day.
I’d also recommend buying some of their coffee. It absolutely blows the 3rd grade stuff the major chains sell out of the water. Any other coffee just tastes bland compared to theirs now.
Finally... the Buddha bowls, breakfasts etc are amazing. Huge portions for a reasonable price and all freshly made so if you want to play around with the ingredients these guys are more than happy to accommodate you.
I wonder if they’ll let me hang my Welsh flag on their wall...

1  Thank ManfromWales1
Reviewed June 10, 2019

The BEST coffee in Middlesbrough! The ROUNTON COFFEE beans are genuinely the best tasting beans I've ever had, huge fan of the Granary Blend.

I love the vibe of this place, the guys in the kitchen are friendly and chatty and it's always busy - which is a great sign!

I love that I can take the dog in too, it's never too much trouble for them to get a little water bowl for him. I can't understand anyone leaving a negative review because the guys let dogs in. Fair enough if an unruly dog disturbed you, say something to the staff there and then, but this place doesn't deserve any negative reviews at all - the guys have done an amazing job in producing a menu of genuine quality food thats able to be served while your coffee is still warm.

The food here is top class. The Chicken flatbreads are monster sized portions and so tasty!

Highly recommend!

1  Thank Antony H
Reviewed June 8, 2019 via mobile

Hands down this is the best coffee shop in Middlesbrough if not in Teesside, the attention to detail with their coffee, snacks and food is second to none, awesome atmosphere* and well worth the short walk out of the main town centres

As a food establishment in the middle of a town centre I feel dogs should not be allowed in, fair enough if you were in the lakes or dales. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs and have 2 myself but I would never take them somewhere like this. Bedford Street coffee shop is very cosy and there is not really enough floor space, to allow for dogs to be sitting amongst people eating food, let alone the owners allowing them to jump up at the chairs and tables and scrounge for treats, for this reason I quickly finished off my coffee and left.

Massively disappointed as now i feel I can no longer go the Bedford Street coffee and get food because I don’t want to have be wary of owners not being able to control their dogs.

I would hate think I was sat their eating my food I paid good money for and I was allergic or terrified of dogs.

*however the atmosphere is hugely varied on who and what species comes in.

2  Thank 819_MACK
chriskK4283ZR, Owner at Bedford St Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2019

Hello,

My name is Chris I am the tall ginger guy you might have seen wandering around Bedford street.

Thank you for your feedback, I think you raise some very valid arguments. I am also Gutted, I hate the thought of anyone being upset or disappointed in what we do. I feel slightly sick in the stomach replying, I think we work hard to make sure everyone feels comfortable and in your case I failed, I have let you down. I am sorry.

I wasn't in on the day in question (First Saturday off since we reopened). I have been told there was a dog that barked twice, but we don't no exactly where you were sat. I don't have the full picture (also staff might be trying to defend themselves if the dogs behaviour was worse and in hide sight should have acted). We should be paying attention to everyone and able to see if someone is uncomfortable, also we should be telling dog owners about our rules. No dogs at the table, No dogs on seats, No barking(I wouldn't kick someone out if a dog barked once it would have to be repeat offence). A well behaved dog sat next to its owner I have no problem with. I will in future be policing the behaviour of dogs far more closely and training staff on our policies.

We are a small coffee shop, its meant to be casual. We are not fancy or high end at least we don't aspire to be, we just try to make as many people happy as possible. Dogs will be staying at Bedford, I hope you will return and see everyone is equality important to us and all feedback is appreciated and acted upon. If you ever need anything come speak to us! I really hope my reassurances will make you rethink about no longer being able to come to Bedford street.

Please come in and see me so I can apologise.

Chris

Reviewed June 1, 2019 via mobile

Dropped in on the day Take That had a concert and everywhere else was stowed out. Boy the fans were in the wrong places. The food here is so healthy, plant-based with some meat or egg (not compulsory! ). And the quality is amazing. Lunches are generally all in one bowl but you get over 6 separate ingredients all done to a turn.

2  Thank max_patrick