“London, My Favorite City to Visit”
Review of London

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods
Richland, Washington
8 helpful votes
“London, My Favorite City to Visit”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

First and foremost, London is a walking town. While they have some of the best public transportation in the world, to view London, you will do a lot of walking. You will never run out of beautiful architecture to photograph, and that's above and beyond the well known landmarks.

Pubs abound and the general attitude is very open and happy. The Brits understand, I think sometimes better than most, that life is life and you take it all with a grain of salt and a sense of humour.

If you want to see the "classic expected London" with it's statues, Big Ben, and monuments, most are within walking distance from the Thames. Take a short tube ride north the Camden Market and experience the funkier side of London with touristy t-shirts and anything else you may want as far as presents for friends and family back home.

I highly recommend the Europa Bed and Breakfast in Islington (Tuffnel Park tube stop). Their rates are excellent for the kind of rooms available and the included hot breakfast is a notch above most. Family owned and operated. Very nice people. Walking distance from the Europa B&B is a pub called The Swimmer... EXCELLENT FOOD and a definate hidden GEM.

Happy traveling if you are heading for London. I save up and go each spring and wouldn't miss a trip.

6 Thank KimInOly
vermont
25 helpful votes
“Charming London, England”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Recently retired, traveling with my new beau, at age 58, I loved our June/July - 2 week vacation to Europe. We enjoyed 5 days in London, an overnight Eurostar trip to Paris, and then rented a car at Heathrow, for a perfectly dreamy time visiting Liverpool, Eastwood, and the surrounding areas of Nottinghamshire. We found great buys on hotels by booking ahead of time through online booking agencies such as travelocity and hotels.com. We had a good deal on our subcompact AUTOMATIC car at Heathrow for our final week. We took our own GARMIN GPS with us, preprogrammed for Europe, it was a Godsend. It helps so much, it is beyond words to describe its' convenience. Great at locating nearby petrol/food/lodging/take you back to the airport.....etc. Having a heads' up for every roundabout you are about to encounter, and telling you specifically which exit you want out of the roundabout is priceless in my book. We found that everything we set about to do worked well, I loved the Oyster passes we bought for the Tube. We used Capital One, as our primary credit card which is the only card that does not have an international surcharge for your purchases.....again priceless.....
I love good deals, and this trip was loaded with them. Anne in Vermont

1 Thank VermontAnne
Spokane
1 helpful vote
“Great city for the lone traveler”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I spent just over a week in London during February 2009. I stayed at the Hesperia London Victoria hotel, which is next to the Victoria tube and coach stations. I made day trips from there to the British Museum, Tower of London, Natural History Museum, Portobello Road antiques market, National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, and Buckham Palace, and took a City Cruise on the Themes. I would recommend all these activities. London is a friendly place for lone female travelers and it is easy to find your way around on foot or via the tube (the oyster card makes it easy). The Hesperia was a nice hotel. When I first checked in, they put me in a small room that did not have heat or wireless internet, so I asked to change rooms and they gave me a much nicer one.

1 Thank InlandEmpireGirl
California
“London takes the cake!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

In June 2008, we visited London with our two teen-age daughters, 13, and 16. We were surprised how much they loved London! My husband and I did too. There was just enough 'funkiness' for the girls, and just enough old fart stuff for us! It balanced out really well so that we call had a great time.
I've always heard that British food was not all that much to write home about, however, we found that every pub and restaurant we ate at was great! We have a very discriminating palate too, since we come from one of the west coasts premiere 'food cities'. Pride of Paddington Pub had the best Fish and Chips...hands down.
Loved London, and we can't wait to get back!

1 Thank TeresaCalifornia
New York, NY
1 helpful vote
“Best City, but Expensive”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Best city in the world - culture, history, clean, safe, parks.
NYC has better nightlife and food, but overall London is a better city to visit.
Only problem - it is expensive for Americans.
A $40 dinner for 2 in NYC is $70 in London.
Certain attractions are overpriced - Westminster Abbey, Tower, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral.
On the other hand, museums are free.

1 Thank ottogard

Been to London? Share your experiences!