“BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN LONDON”
Review of Luna Rossa

Luna Rossa
Ranked #864 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Description: Luna Rossa has relaunched August 2013, with a whole new concept featuring a ground floor dining room, Italian wine bar serving regional wines straight from the barrel, and delicatessen. The lower ground floor will feature an eating bar with conveyor belt for sending out cold ‘sfizi’ (small plates) direct to the diner. The restaurant’s many long-time regulars will be delighted to hear that Luna Rossa will continue to offer the ‘pizza al metro’ on which it originally made its name.Luna Rossa is the first Italian restaurant in the UK to introduce a conveyor belt dining concept. Guests can choose from around 10 to 15 cold ‘sfizi’ from the moving counter, (hot ‘sfizi’ to be ordered separately), around which up to 20 guests can be seated. Sfizi will include ‘Homemade burrata with crispy rocket and grilled chorizo’, ‘Octopus Carpaccio’, as well as Italian cured meats, salads, fresh breads and homemade mozzarella and smoked ricotta. Some of the sfizi selection will also be available from the delicatessen and wine bar.Luna Rossa will offer well executed, authentic southern Italian food with all the warmth, generosity and hospitality one would expect of a family-run Italian restaurant. It will open seven days a week, serving a modernised all-day menu of hot and cold small plates, Neapolitan pizzas served ‘al metro’ (by the metre), grills and salads as well as ‘grab and go’ dishes from the deli. Sample dishes include ‘Rotolino’ (rolled pizza) with home-made mozzarella, smoked cheese, burrata, speck and truffle oil; ‘Ricotta and pine nut stuffed crust pizza’; ‘Lobster Lasagne’; and ‘Gnocci, San Marzano tomatoes & burrata’. ‘Lemon & chili oyster chicken’ or ‘Angus flat iron steak’ and Italian sausages will be cooked to order on the kitchen’s new charcoal grill. A daily-changing dessert menu will run from classic chocolate soufflés to contemporary Focaccia alla Nutella, alongside pastry chef Valentina Corsaro’s famous cheesecakes. The wine bar, is a destination in itself,serving regional italian wines. The full wine list comprises some 40 wines, most available by bottle, glass and carafe, and focuses on indigenous grapes from Italy as well as some new world varieties. Homemade barrel aged cocktails, will be available alongside a carefully edited selection of Italian cocktails such as the ‘Portobello Bellini’ and Made In Italy’s own distinctive Negroni.
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I visited Luna Rossa last saturday with a group of friends, and we decided to book after reading Plenty of positive reviews online and after a few Italian friends had recomended this place. I have to tell you that I am now addicted to this place and I get excited everytime we book a table here. I had the Pasta Mamma Mia, one of my friend had the seafood one and the rest opted for pizzas, which was served by the meter on a long wooden board ... All of us went WOW when the food arrived at the table. The staff were all amazing and they all seemd to enjoying their time there ... Looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Denise C
There are newer reviews for Luna Rossa

Reviewed April 27, 2011

I am very fastidious when it comes to pizza (being Italian!), and thus hardly risk eating pizza around. We were around with friends with children, and we needed to have lunch on a sunny saturday, and picked a place "by its feel" (plenty of competition in the area!). It turned out to be a surprisingly good choice. They accommodated our largish group with some creativity and no grudging, and provided us with pizza that we all found very good. Service was swift, and the only regret was that we could not sit outside. All in all a very positive experience, a place we would gladly to back to to enjoy a good pizza.

1  Thank AlfredoLP
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I eat around notting a lot as I am a local, and visited luna rossa, as I thought I should give it another chance after a couple of "ok verging on bad" experiences. The manager was so rude it was quite amazing, veering from practically shouted in my face to ignoring me when I asked when the table would be ready..all 5 of us were shocked. Despite booking we were kept waiting for 30 mins. When we finally got served the food (for all 5 different dishes) was tasteless, pasta overcooked and SO stingy on the toppings. The ravioli tasted as if from a can. Delicious. A veggie in the group accidently ordered a dish with meat in it and they flatly refused to switch it for anything.. Said "we gonna charge u anyway." - great service. Never written one if these reviews before, but had such a bad experience all I can say is AVOID AVOID AVOID.

4  Thank anniej6909
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We were 4. We had a wonderful experience: pizzas were great, the service quick and nice and the bill...really fair! We ate great food for 15£ each! The only thing is that is really crowded so if you want to avoid long waiting it's better to reserve a table in advance.

Higly recommended.

1  Thank Laurenny
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Thereare about six restaurants in this stretch of Kensington Park Road. This rates about average. Service can be variable and the tables are very close together.

1  Thank RitzyRocky