“Lovely time at a very reasonable price”

Al Forno - Wimbledon
Ranked #4,547 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came to Al Forno for a birthday meal with 15 friends despite reading some variable reviews and was very impressed with the overall experience. As it was a Sunday the restaurant was busy enough to have a good atmosphere but not packed and stressful. Booked in advance and was welcomed warmly on arrival - as we were a large group we sat upstairs which is slightly more airy and service was quick, friendly and efficient. Prices are excellent, pizzas are more than large enough to share and both food and wine were lovely :)

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went there a couple of weeks ago with friends and their kids - and not for the first time. The service is typically Italian. Sometimes over-familiar, sometimes moody. The food is always good, but probably not VERY good.

For consistency and atmosphere the place scores well, but not somewhere for a special occasion. Can't help feeling that they've got a bit complacent with their good reputation.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've heard so many good things about this place that when we couldn't decide where to eat in Wimbledon we fell back on Al Forno and judging by just how busy the place was you'd be silly not to believe the great reviews.

We were given a table rather quickly considering how busy the restaurant was and the staff all seem very friendly and attentive; however it appears that no one has a "section" and instead a number of staff asked for our drinks order, served us and kept checking upon us - it felt like a bit of a miss match.

We ordered antipasti to start which wasn't bad and the salami was of a good quality; however we were surprised that there was no bread accompanying this and we had to pay £3 for 4 slices of ciabatta additionally. For mains we both decided on pasta dishes that just weren't very good and the sauces were very watery - I opted for a salmon and white wine cream sauce with penne that was good but not incredible.

The wine was fantastic; £20 for a bottle of Pinot Grigio that was very refreshing.

Finally...the music was very odd with alot of Brazilian/Portuguese songs and the credit card machine wasn't working so we had to venture to the ATM (although a shot of Sambuca was provided for the trouble; this was appreciated!)

Sadly, I don't think I'll be going back here again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ate here recently with a party of 7 on a Saturday night. The place was packed; and has been last two or three times I have been there so that in itself is a good sign. Noisy and what seems a bit chaotic which was fine by me. Its not the place for quiet romantic meal listening to chamber music! Food is varied and pretty good but not overly ambitious. I had chicken with creme,mushrooms, saute potatoes. Seen that on so many Italian menus before. but it was very good! My wife had pa linguine which she said was fine. Steaks got the thumbs up , so did pizzas. Irish coffee - awful. Lady serving us seemed disinterested though which spoilt things a little - chatting across you to her colleagues as she was taking orders, forgetting some drinks being a couple of mildly irritating examples. A bit more concentration and focus on the lasting customer required. But overall food and experience was very good and price was fair , felt good value for money. Its also busy which gives place a bustling atmosphere and a pleasant night out. I will be back.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

First time I have been here! Also I'm not one to write reviews but I felt they deserved one! Beautiful restaurant staff so friendly and played with children. Very busy but that's to be expected.food was out of this world. I normally find myself thinking in restaurants I could of cooked this better but not here!!!! It's delicious! They cater to everyone's needs. Honestly amazing place and I can't wait to go back there! 10 out of 10!!!!