“Great food, nice welcome”
Review of DA SPAGO - CLOSED

DA SPAGO
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: At Da Spago our passion is to make our customers enjoy the real taste of Italian food by making them feel at home with a real Italian family. Capture a special Italian moment at Da Spago and become part of our family and leave with a little piece of Italian tradition to share with your friends, family and colleagues.Our food is prepared with the finest natural ingredients and cooked in the traditional Italian way. Our pizzas are made from traditional Italian dough and is made fresh each day, hand-stretched and cooked on the stone of our wooden oven.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I ate here a couple of evenings this week, and experienced consistently good or excellent food. It's a lovely restaurant with a "local" feel to it, even though it is pretty much in central London; the decor is ever so slightly rustic, but not over the top, and lighting is fine for a cosy evening, but also ok if you're dining alone (like me) and want to do the crossword! On my second visit the welcome was warm - nice to feel that a returning diner is recognised.

Food overall was very good; on my first evening I tried the calamari as a starter, which were lovely and tender, with a light coating, although the accompanying chilli sauce was a little sweet for my taste. A main course of vegetarian pizza was very good too...a few nice burnt edges, perfectly cooked in the middle, with lots of tasty vegetables. On the second evening, a starter of stuffed crepes were beautifully executed, and a main of home-made pasta was very tasty. Everything has the feel of having been freshly prepared (I'm sure it is) by someone who cares about what is put on the plate, and takes pride in providing high quality food.

Overall, taking into account very good service, not a hint of up-selling, very good food and reasonable value considering the location (£20-30 for two courses with mineral water, for one), I think this restaurant deserves five stars for this review, and I recommend it to anyone in the area and looking for excellent Italian food.

1  Thank Richard P

Reviewed December 16, 2012

WOW. What a fantastic find. This restaurant Is one of the best Italians I've been in. The food is fantastic as is the service. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The only down side is we don't live nearer to it......Lucky we're in the area in a few weeks time and have already booked to return. Many thanks.

1  Thank Cathy P
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a place we always come back to when visiting the museums / Royal Albert Hall. It is exactly what you want from a restaurant of this style. It always seems busy and is clearly used by locals as well as visitors.

The pizzas are so good we always go for them.

1  Thank Hoodies_sandhurst
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Chanced upon this place on a visit to the V&A and gave it a punt. Confusingly mixed. My sardine starter somehow managed to be dry and a bit tasteless, while the scallop and saffron risotto that followed was moist, flavoursome and well executed. Disappointing too that some of the wine listed by the glass wasn't available. I wanted to like this place a lot more than I did.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Went in from off the street.
It was fairly quiet for an early tea on a Sunday, but the restaurant was nicely presented and clean.
There was 4 of us there and 3 of us had a nice meal, but Tom's scallops were burnt and the chef tried to disguise it, which was a pity. The waitress did change them, but unfortunately they had let themselves down.
If its a relaxed meal that your after though don't be put off as for a middle of the road restaurant the meal was as we would of expected.