“Good on so many levels”

Tas Borough High Street
Ranked #1,956 of 23,845 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Staying in London on business, on my own, don't know where to go. Find this place on Trip Advisor and after seeing my hotel restaurant so empty decided to go for it.

Pleasantly busy - vibrant but not packed and enough space to cope with a crowd. Warm welcome, mentioned it was my first visit, was re-assured and waiter gave really straight forward advice. Wasn't over-sold anything and as they brought bread, olives and dips I decided to skip a starter (great dip by the way - authentic). Food came promptly but I was not rushed and asked for extra chilli dip (more of a relish but not the stuff from a jar or bottle you might be thinking of).

Really fragrant food, very tender meat and a portion size that made you think it might not be enough - but it is; the sign of good food I think.

Two beers, water, bread, olives dip, mixed grill, £20 including service charge. Half what I paid last night in a hotel (which was good but in comparison not great value).

Go to this restaurant; nice people, authentic food, great value.

1  Thank KJW984

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Probably one of the healthiest menus in London, with real Turkish grown food - lentils, chick peas, bulghar wheat, pulses, hazelnuts, aubergine, okra, and a whole host of vegetables and salads. There are some non veg choices too and the menu is aimed at all tastes, and certainly the more formal restaurant next door is dominated by meat choices. Fresh herbs and spices adds to the freshness and 'homemade' taste, often lacking in other cafes. There is a fresh orange juice machine, as well as excellent fresh coffee, and selection of newspapers too. Some of the cold mezes lend themselves to be enjoyed more hot rather than cold. And great value - a full plate for under £10, and a full plate is unlikely to leave room for any of the authentic turkish deserts.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

While I've eaten at the restaurant before and enjoyed the food there, I have to speak up for the more casual cafe that they have now opened next door to it - of you want a quick bit for lunch or a takeaway bite to eat, this place is just great. Their various filled durum are fantastic value, as is the selection of salads that dwarf what you'll get locally for value.

A big thing worthy of note is that if you are vegan/vegetarian this place is absolutely superb! You will be spoiled for choice.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Tas is our restaurant of choice if we are going out for dinner near London Bridge. The kebabs are excellent and the choice of Meze plates is highly varied. I also recommend the Iskender, the tomato sauce is delicious. The prices are really reasonable, we can usually eat until we are stuffed without breaking the £40 barrier.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I were at the Tas in Borough Street on October 26 and we came back the next day. The food is lovely, the service is friendly and fast. Prices are reasonable. Nice soft music, the place is very nice and clean.

I will sure be back on my next trip to London!