“A real must!!”

Tai Pan
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
Description: Tai Pan has been open for business for well over 16 years - before Canary Wharf became so popular with big businesses moving out from Central London. In fact this friendly and welcoming restaurant specialising in Peking and Cantonese cuisine has won the Docklands Good Food Award five times. Tai Pan offers authentic Chinese cuisine for all types of occasions, formal, parties or if you are a regular. Tai Pan has all the ingredients to make your celebration a success. Popular dishes include the crispy shredded beef in chilli, the deep fried crispy oysters in batter and the roast Peking duck.
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Taken here by business colleagues. Near Limehouse DLR. Not much to look at from the outside but the food and service are excellent. Decent docor inside.
It is a buffet type order from a menu - all you can eat- the choice is huge. All cooked to order. 3 of us had about 21 starters. We didn't get to the mains. They were so good.
Squid is hard to get right but it came cooked to perfection.
Quick and friendly service.

There are newer reviews for Tai Pan

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Fab surprise party for my friend, her sister hired upstairs and we ate and ate the food was just coming none stop. The Karaoke was tooooo funny, the person we had for the evening was such a lovely host great customer service. I remember coming to this place more than 10 years go, it is much better now will definitely coming back again.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've eaten here on a number of occasions when staying in the Canary Wharf area. I prefer it to the "plastic" chain restaurants you find there. It's an easy find - just across the main road from Limehouse DLR station.

On this occasion we turned up without reservations and fairly late at night. Although a small restaurant, we were soon accommodated and rapidly served without being rushed. There was a wide range of traditional and non-traditional offerings including a (small) range of dim sum.

Prices were more than reasonable and service was prompt and friendly. Portion sizes were good without being over-sized. And we didn't leave anything - so yes it was tasty too! It's a shame they don't do a draught beer but the pint sized can was perfectly acceptable and well chilled.

I will continue to return and, as others have said, find it difficult to identify this restaurant from the one or two negative and vitriolic criticisms submitted. So, in summary, the decor is pleasant; the staff are friendly and attentive; the portions are plentiful, dishes enjoyable and the price - a pleasant surprise. I will undoubtedly return.

1  Thank Mike Arran
Reviewed June 21, 2013

From the outside you might not think much of this restaurant. However don't be put off with the odd location and bland decor of the place. The food is amazing, and one of my favourite Chinese restaurants in London.

To put it simply the food is delicious and is always made fresh and served boiling hot.

When we visit we choose the buffet option which I think is around £16 per person. However it's not a help yourself style buffet. You order off the buffet menu and can order as many dishes as you want over and over. I suggest you order your starters first then the main.

There is a huge range of food, with a great menu. The salt and pepper prawns as a starter is absolutely delicious. Followed by pekin duck, which is very nice. Not burnt or cooked to death that I have experienced else where.

Visit Tai Pan for the good, traditional food and the extremely reasonable price.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We dropped in with a group of five, and decided to go with the "buffet" option. At 17 pounds each, it was still a great value! A wonderfull array of starters and entrees, served by a charming staff. They were patient and helpful as we fumbled through deciding which delicacies to request for multiple rounds. My only regret is that it will be awhile before I can return to London from my home in the U.S. to enjoy this jewel again..