“Terrific evening with good food and company” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Naz - CLOSED

Cafe Naz
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Contemporary, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: The flagship restaurant of the award-winning Cafe Naz group, the Brick Lane branch is one of the oldest and most loved restaurants in the area. Café Naz was first built where the old Mayfair Cinema of the 1930’s once stood, which became the Naz Cinema in the 60s, showing Asian films and visited by Dilip Kumar, the Clark Gable of the Indian film industry and his heroine Vaijanti Mala. The owner of Cafe Naz bought the Naz cinema in the 70's and closed it down in the early 80s with the advent of video shops but retained the word Naz when he opened his famous chain in the early 90's.Café Naz was thrust into the news in 1999 when as car bomb planted by a neo-Nazi exploded outside. Fortunately nobody was hurt.Described as "Brick Lane’s flagship restaurant" by Charles Campion from the Evening Standard, Café Naz, renowned nationwide for its elegant surroundings and warm atmosphere, not to mention delicious food, exceptional service from the staff and value for money, is the ever-popular choice for the curry tourists who visit Banglatown.Resolutely modern from its shiny, bold & black façade & glass frontage and chilli-patterned glass'n'chrome bar, Cafe Naz is sufficiently confident & unique in everything from exterior, interior, food & service.With its Indian brasserie-style interior, blending a classic ambience with a contemporary environment, the dining room at Cafe Naz features a glass staircase, loud splashes of yellow, purple and lime green in the decor, and plenty of potted palms.The cheerful and relaxing mood throughout the restaurant is ideal for family nights out, late-night curries and fun parties made even better by the large servings available. Café Naz is perfect for every occasion.Cafe Naz offers an unforgettable fine dining experience at what may be the best Indian restaurant in town.This flagship restaurant is a beacon for pan Asian culinary modernity and amid the variable phantasmagoria that is Spitalfields brick lane.This huge place on Brick Lane represents everything good about the area.This is a great place to go for a taste of the Indian East End.
London
“Terrific evening with good food and company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We took our French friends with us, making 11 in all, and had a terrific evening with really good food and excellent service. The menu is varied enough to suit any palate, including the children and teenagers in our party. Our French friends were really delighted with the quality of the food and enjoyed the Bangladeshi meal as they don't have many Indian restaurants back home.

3 Thank seasonedtraveller21

Toronto, Canada
“The best butter chicken!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

A little pricey as is most of london but the butter chicken and nan were delicious as was the dessert (Gulab Jamun). Would recommend this place after a day of sightseeing.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank nuyu_12
Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent visit to Cafe Naz.

It is great to know that you have enjoyed our food. Your feedback has been passed on to the our kitchen team as it always works as a great motivator for the whole team to keep going that extra mile.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back here at Cafe Naz. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
“Cafe Naz: the definitive review”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Brick Lane curry houses are now an anachronism, fit only for tourists who know no better. I am forced to say this as a aficionado of curry, and having tried many in the UK (and even in Asia). I have been to the best (Probably Indian Rasoi in East Finchley at the moment).
I have been to the Cafe Naz before for the Sunday Buffet, and it was interesting, tasty, had some unusual things (like goat) and was fair value. If you go up and down Brick Lane, the Bangladeshi Restaurants are all now indistinguishable. They all have guys outside telling you they are the best, and you should come in, and they all claim to have won awards. Their menus are pretty similar, their client base is visitor dominated and the opinion of London Residents is that you should go elsewhere, currently to SW17: Brick Lane has had it's day as a restaurant venue, In fact today, when I went there, most of the eating of Bangladeshi food was actually people eating on the street having bought carry out lunches from a market stall.
I went to Cafe Naz, having booked it, having specified that I wanted the Sunday Buffet, and leaving a local telephone number.
When I arrived, the place looked under reconstruction, and only the upstairs was open. There was a lone diner (but I had booked for 1230 which is early by Sunday lunch in London standards).
The staff, who seemed unaware of my booking told me that the Sunday Buffet had been canceled at short notice because of the London Marathon (Still trying to work that one out: maybe all the chefs were competitors?) and there was no buffet. They offered a second rate fixed price menu even though the buffet dishes were there. I explained that I had a specific booking for a specific time for a specific event, had given my full details etc etc. I was met with complete indifference: it wasn't anything to do with them, they did not know about it, and they did not care. No wonder no one else was there.
So I did not get my yummy Sunday Buffet, my wife was incandescent, and and I realize that like so many others, there is no reason to go for Brick Lane Curry ever again. If anyone would like to comment about what they would have done under the circumstances, I would love to read the comments.
So in conclusion, I would commend you not only to avoid Cafe Naz as you may or may not get a meal, and to think about having a curry somewhere else than Brick Lane

4 Thank mgoldman666
London
“Good service but average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The service was good and attentive but the food was average
Pilau rice was nice but the rest nothing special

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SN29
Thank you very much for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to Cafe Naz, London E1.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed our service but sorry to learn that you didnt like our food as much. Your feedback has been passed on to our Chef to be reviewed.

We hope to be able to welcome you at Cafe Naz in the near future. Thank you.
Hornchurch, Essex
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a social event with our company yesterday evening, which was held at Cafe Naz. This was a special event at the restaurant which included a table magician, who was great entertainment.

I cannot praise this venue enough. The service was impeccible, nothing is too much trouble and everything executed with the friendliest of smiles.

The food was delicious - I have simple tastes where spices are concerned and prefer the Kormas of this world to the Vindaloos, and whilst the dishes I chose were slightly too spicy for my palate (even on some of the usual tame dishes - Korma, tikka etc.) I cannot fault it for overall flavour, quantity and presentation. It really was outstanding.

As mentioned the dishes were spicy - however the Korma was not so spicy that it could not be eaten - it had a nice after kick to it. The Tikka was too spicy for me and needed yogurt with it - which was promptly produced with no fuss.

I do not want this to be viewed as a critism, as it really isn't. I merely wanted to be objective and point out that if you enjoy your curry at the lower end of the spice level, ensure that you chose something less spicy than you normally would or check with the waiter.

The entrance area to the restaurant is clearly being renovated (the rest seemed to be either renovated or at least very clean and pristine looking (which I assume bodes well for the kitchen area). The toilets are in the basement and are decorated beautifully. However there does seem to be an odd damp smell in the area which seems to either come from the unusual water feature (a few dotted around the whole restaurant - nice touch) or the fact that the basement is damp. However, it is confined to this area and really does not affect the restaurant area at all.

Difficult to gauge the atmosphere as we were a large group and therefore probably creating our own atmosphere. Due to the magician the atmosphere was also probably totally different than during a normal dining experience.

I can only recommend that you visit for yourselves. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks to all the staff at Cafe Naz for making our evening the most enjoyable that it could be. I will be revisiting.

2 Thank Millymolly40
Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We appreciate the kind feedback and the time taken to compile and post it.

We are happy to hear that you loved our food and found our front of house team to be so friendly and efficient.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you.