“Disappointed after all the hype”
Review of Cafe Naz - CLOSED

Cafe Naz
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: The flagship restaurant of the award-winning Cafe Naz group, the Brick Lane branch is one of the oldest and most loved restaurants in the area. Café Naz was first built where the old Mayfair Cinema of the 1930’s once stood, which became the Naz Cinema in the 60s, showing Asian films and visited by Dilip Kumar, the Clark Gable of the Indian film industry and his heroine Vaijanti Mala. The owner of Cafe Naz bought the Naz cinema in the 70's and closed it down in the early 80s with the advent of video shops but retained the word Naz when he opened his famous chain in the early 90's.Café Naz was thrust into the news in 1999 when as car bomb planted by a neo-Nazi exploded outside. Fortunately nobody was hurt.Described as "Brick Lane’s flagship restaurant" by Charles Campion from the Evening Standard, Café Naz, renowned nationwide for its elegant surroundings and warm atmosphere, not to mention delicious food, exceptional service from the staff and value for money, is the ever-popular choice for the curry tourists who visit Banglatown.Resolutely modern from its shiny, bold & black façade & glass frontage and chilli-patterned glass'n'chrome bar, Cafe Naz is sufficiently confident & unique in everything from exterior, interior, food & service.With its Indian brasserie-style interior, blending a classic ambience with a contemporary environment, the dining room at Cafe Naz features a glass staircase, loud splashes of yellow, purple and lime green in the decor, and plenty of potted palms.The cheerful and relaxing mood throughout the restaurant is ideal for family nights out, late-night curries and fun parties made even better by the large servings available. Café Naz is perfect for every occasion.Cafe Naz offers an unforgettable fine dining experience at what may be the best Indian restaurant in town.This flagship restaurant is a beacon for pan Asian culinary modernity and amid the variable phantasmagoria that is Spitalfields brick lane.This huge place on Brick Lane represents everything good about the area.This is a great place to go for a taste of the Indian East End.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had heard good things about this place, the company I work for takes clients every month for a buffet. We had booked a table for 9 for an evening meal. The place is currently being renovated so we went straight upstairs. There is nowhere for us to hang our coats was my first observation. We were promptly given drinks menus and chose papadums which were decent. We had to ask at least twice for them menu's, ideally they should give them out the moment everyone was seated. I noticed the area was chilly and felt a little u comfortable. We ordered starters. We had to wait a long time for them it was at least 35 minutes, unacceptable in my opinion. Most of us had chosen Sheekh kebab these were ok I've had better, a couple of my colleagues complained as they had to wait additional time for their drinks and had to remind the waiters. We had ordered our mains at the same but had to wait around 40 minutes for those it was nearly 9.45pm when these were delivered, given that we had arrived at 7.40pm this was not ideal. I ordered chicken karahi and saag paneer. The paneer was tasteless and lukewarm, the karahi was very average. My colleagues too had similar complaints the prawn dish was a little too sweet and I noticed no-one was remotely close to completing their meals. As we enjoy socialising we decided not to make a meal of this as we had enjoyed our evening. Another gripe, the toilets are downstairs and both ladies and gents are fairly close by and have complete clear doors. Not very clever, a toilet is a place of privacy and its embarrassing. They should rectify this as soon as possible. The mango lassi was ok a little on the thick side. Towards the very end of our meal they did offer us anything else on the house but we were pretty much ready to go. One last thing it's reportedly halal it's a shame they don't advertise so in the shop window, the website or the menu. Most restaurants in that area do why not Cafe Naz?

Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Cafe Naz.

We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and I am sorry that on this occassion we did not meet your standards in both food and service.

Please note that your company is our regular customer for both Lunch and Evening. We really appreciate your custom and loyalty.

Our objective is to ensure hassle free, fresh dinning experience for all our customers. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cafe Naz so that my team and I can demonstrate that to you.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Been visiting this place for last 3 years now with the refurbsihment everything gone down the pot hole apart from the modernaisation. Left here feeling violently sick after eating a funny tasting lamb dish. Will never visit again..

Cafe N, Owner at Cafe Naz, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Acknowledge your complaint. Extremely sorry that you had this problem. We are seriously concerned and have taken immediate action to go to the bottom of the problem. After thorough investigation we are at loss to pin point the reason of your concern. We have taken further procative steps and called all the customers who dined at the restraurant that day. We are happy to say that no body had any problem with the food. However we reiterate that we are sympathetic to your condition and can assure you that we take Health & Safety very seriously. We do not want to lose you as a valued customer and would like to extend an invitation to you to come and have a meal on the house and inspect the kitchen and our procedures for your assurance.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The food is good and the service is excellent. The owner was particularly lovely on our visit. Good food, good location, good service. What more can I say.

2  Thank Vict0ria333
Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for the review. We really appreciate your kind words. Your feedback gives us the strength to maintain consistency and improve our quality of food and service. We look forwad to welcoming you at Cafe Naz again soon. Till then take care.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The food was good and the staff/manager extremely accommodating. Service like this makes you want come back so thank you for a lovely evening.

2  Thank blacksilverness
Cafe N, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Naz, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time review Cafe Naz. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable evening at our restaurant. It is always exhilarating to have happy customers. We hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been a regular diner at Café Naz for over 10 years which probably speaks for itself. I eat there with friends & family and have even taken my clients (mostly Scandinavian) when they are in London and they always enjoy the experience. Like most curry lovers one of the main criteria for me parting with my money is consistency of flavours and quality of the ingredients and I am happy to report that this restaurant fulfills my expectations on both counts. When you visit make sure you sample the Kebab-e-Naz mixed starter a great beginning to your meal, especially with an ice cold bottle of Bangla beer. Then I like to tuck into garlic chilli king prawn, chicken madras, karahi lamb, begun masala, sag aloo, rice and naan breads which is why i like to go with a few other people so I can max-out on the different flavours. Do you get the feeling I like it here? Enjoy!

1  Thank Les J

Thank you for taking the time to review Cafe Naz. We are delighted that you love both our food and service. Your feedback gives us the strength to maintain consistency and improve our quality of food and service. We hope to see you in Cafe Naz soon.