“Great atmosphere and food.”

Balans Soho Society
Ranked #584 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Soho
Transit: Only a short walking distance from Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Tottenham Court Road Underground Station.
Description: Not for the fainthearted, Balans Soho Society is a place to indulge. Enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and after-dark activities in the company of fellow bon vivants. It's a café, a restaurant, a bar, a member's establishment and definitely a place where rules are made to be broken. And it's all done in the spirit of Soho - the iconic corner of London that has always acted as a refuge for outsiders: minorities, eccentrics, bohemians, dreamers...people drawn together by a shared conviction that normal rules don't apply to them. A place to go when you feel like doing things you probably shouldn't. We are Balans Soho Society and we live by the philosophy that too much of a good thing is a GOOD THING, the best plan is NO PLAN and that the pursuit of pleasure is a noble one. Even if the pleasure itself might not be. Let us banish the jobsworth, the wet blanket, the killjoy. Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often. LET CURTAINS TWITCH. All hail the rogue, the rascal and the reprobate. We have a way of dealing with outsiders: INVITE THEM IN for a drink.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at Balans.
Have not been for a while but went with family and tried their new special menu
£9.95 for 2 courses and £11.95 for 3 courses Monday to Friday up to 7.00pm
The food was excellent and especially at £11.95 for 3 courses in Soho.
The house wine was excellent for £13.95 a bottle
The Service is always friendly, attentive and quick. Even though you have not been for a while the staff really welcome you and make you feel special.
There is always a buzz and lively atmosphere in the restaurant.
The main menu has items to suit most palates
If you need a quick meal before a Westend Show or spend the evening with friends Balans is an excellent choice of restaurant.

1  Thank mike_StAlbans
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Balans have a special offer in January, 2 courses for £9.95, 3 courses for £11.95 - excellent value for such a popular Soho restaurant. I had the Woodland Mushroom Bruschetta with fried duck egg to start with: the egg was perfectly cooked and it worked very well with the mushrooms on the bruschetta. My main was the roast butternut squash tortelloni, a generous portion with a very tasty filling of butternut squash and a sage and almond butter. I chose the orange polenta cake with mascarpone cream, honey and almonds to finish and this was also delicious. The offer menu is well balanced overall with fish and chicken the other two main courses. I cannot praise enough our attentive waiter.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I lived in London for eight years and Balans was where I went to celebrate everything-- getting promoted, getting engaged, getting through another week. I've always had a great time at this restaurant and I love the buzzy, busy environment. It's right in the middle of Old Compton Street in Soho, and has a very mixed but gay-friendly crowd. This is not the spot for a quiet dinner, but if you like atmosphere and energy, it cannot be beat. On those rare days when the sun is out and the weather is warm in London, Balans opens its front doors to the street. If you're lucky enough to snag a table right up front, expect to catch some of the best people-watching in the world.

The menu is excellent, diverse and interesting and it's always hard to choose what to eat. I've never had a bad meal and the tuna is a particular stand-out for me. Whatever you do, order the bread basket to start and expect to gobble up every last crumb. Balans also has a great wine list with some excellent, unusual choices and a fabulous selection of cocktails. Balans is a prime spot for a boozy, London lunch.

Two things bugged me when I lived in London-- how early things closed and how hard it was to find a decent brunch. Balans was an exception to both of these issues. They serve a great, yummy, Amercan-inspired brunch menu and they are also a reliable choice for a late-night bite to eat. Their kitchen is going and crowds are gathering long after most other restaurants in the area have gone dark.

Balans, I miss you!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The place is always rammed so I would recommend you to book before going. The food is good and the service is friendly. Sometimes, I find the music to be a bit loud but I guess that's the atmosphere of the place. It is not cheap but then again the quality is there, so no complaint! I love the basket of bread to start with and share. I'll go there again!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I'm giving this one a VERY GOOD for two three simple reasons:
1. Location, location, location!
2. My burger was simply awful and without hesitation, was taken off the check.
3. I dinned with my favorite cousin and her best gal pal who both spent a fantastic week with me in Fort Lauderdale 8 years ago and that we still tell stories and share memories about.

The wine was nice and cold (two bottles of Sancerre) and the girls both enjoyed there entree's and we all loved the quesadilla starter was good too. The usual suspects were out and about in the area which was part of the fun (I hadn't been down to Soho in a number of years) and the server was a whole lot of fun too...I think he was Russian and his English self-taught was spot on. This is a great place to grab a beer, a bite and look while in the heart of merry ole London.
Then come to find out I can re-visit down on Lincoln Road on South Beach!

Been to Balans Soho Society? Share your experiences!