“Very poor service, very average food”

Imperial City Chinese Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #9,714 of 23,357 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: Tube: Bank, Monument, Liverpool Street, Mansion House
Description: Tucked into the vaulted cellars of the 400 year old Royal Exchange, the beautifully decorated Imperial City is full of happy bankers and city suits sampling the very high quality Chinese menu. Celebrity chef Ken Hom has created the imaginative menu and all the food is beautifully presented. Favourite dishes include spicy chilli prawns and crispy aromatic duck. Three set menus encourage sampling, or the a la carte allows you to choose favourites. Vegetarians will be happy too.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I don't know where to start really. I was entertaining a group of clients who had specifically requested Chinese. When we arrived, no welcome and reluctant to take our coats. Not knowing the portion sizes I asked for help from the waitress to know how much to order. No help was forthcoming, so I plucked some stuff from the menu. She said that the amount I had ordered was more than sufficient. When the first course arrived I was embarrassed by the size of the portions, so insisted on ordering more for the main course, which seemed to annoy her. When the main course eventually arrived - we had four rice dishes, and only one of the six main dishes that I had ordered. We had to wait another 10 minutes for these to arrive - more embarrassment. The food was only average, but of course, much above average price.

They poured the wine, but we seemed to run our of it quite quickly. When I got up to leave I found a whole unopened bottle in the wine cooler behind me. When they saw that I had spotted it they said we could take it with us - but that wasn't really the point - they should have poured it.

Service is added to the bill but put down as optional. I explained to the head waiter that our service had been bad, but he did not offer to remove the charge. Not wanting to embarrass my guests with an argument I just paid it and promised myself to never go back there, and that I would share this experience on Trip Advisor.

I feel better now.

1  Thank LonePool

Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you are looking for haute cuisine, this is not the place. Food is typical Chinese, nothing bad.

Location is excellent. Dining in the vaults of the building. Great for large groups. Service is excellent. It does what is says on the box.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went here for our dinner last night having looked up the reviews on trip advisor, we were very disappointed, the service is of poor quality as previous reviews the set menu was pushed upon us which is expensive at £40 per person. The staff were not at all helpful when ordering our food, we felt as if we were being watched once we had set down our drinks they would be straight over looking to top it up, or take a new order for drinks.The food was very bland, no taste of a traditional Chinese , the food was out too quickly as if it was a pre heat meal within minutes of ordering we were eating. We couldn't get out quick enough and when it come to paying we got our receipt with an additional sc (service charge) that we were not told about. Would not recommend to any one!!

2  Thank Cathal M
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very good classical chinese city resturant.great dishes asnd good service at the right price. Would go there again. very good for a quick bite.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Went for a mid week Chinese with a colleague.
Food 7
Service 8 (very attentive)
Atmosphere 7
Price 7

Best Chinese in the city.