“Most amazing dumpling but with the most horrible staff”
Review of Jen Cafe

Jen Cafe
Ranked #12,027 of 28,445 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Soho
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed June 14, 2019

So I’d been here once before my current visit and the dumplings are as good as always but this time me and two friends visited. We were sat and served immediately but within a minute of finishing they removed our plates and placed the bill ready for us to pay. The lady then lingered while we each put together our cash. As I had withdrawn money I only had a 10£ note and we had three portions of dumpling which is £6 each coming to a total of 18 but when taking the money she never came back with the change. We waited until we had to catch her attention and when I asked for my change she told me I overpaid and it was her tip and I said olcould I have my change and she told me the tip box does not open. She laughed at me and in my experience with tipping is that they bring the change and then you leave what you would like to. I’m genuinely disgusted with the fact that she never gave me my change and then to tell me it was my fault for overpaying. Extremely disappointed and I won’t be returning or recommending.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Alexgonzalvez
Write a reviewReviews (285)

Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

You have to love a Chinese restaurant that has a staff member in the front window making handmade dumplings! We enjoyed steamed and fried dumplings (juicy but indeterminate meat) and Soup
Made of Pulled Pork and Cabbage. The green tea was refreshing, bubble tea very generous. You are squashed in so it’s not exactly a relaxing atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 3, 2019

We stopped in Jen’s Cafe for a quick bite while we were in ChinaTown on a recent visit to London. I had read about it in some online articles and was excited to try it. The location is small but uniquely shaped so it’s easy to find on the street. Once inside, we were seated quickly and presented with menus in their small dining room. The service was efficient if not overly friendly. We were just there for snacks, we got some spring rolls and pork dumpling. The dumplings were very good, obviously hand made and nicely seasoned. The springs rolls were ok but were mostly pastry. I would have much preferred that there be more veg filling in each one so I could truly taste the veggies. All in all however, we had a nice visit and I’d stop by again if I was in the area.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank BigDave1326
Reviewed April 10, 2019 via mobile

This is my 3rd visit in the last month and I definitely will continue to eat here if the quality of the food and dumplings continue. This small delicious fresh and freshly made while you eat, so you know you are getting a fresh product. The service is super quick and food is very hot!! So be aware. This is a family business, small and convenient but top quality.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank 255marthapatriciad
Reviewed March 26, 2019 via mobile

I really liked Jen cafe, it came recommended but I looked at the rather negative reviews and was not sure.
My view is it is a cheap and cheerful place to eat, you see the lady making the dumplings in the window, great, it is not the place to sit for ages perhaps but the dumplings were lovely, I preferred the fried ones. Spring rolls small and delicious, honey roast pork and rice very good. Served with jasmine tea great.
Service was perfectly fine, quick and polite, I recommend as a place to stop whilst passing through Soho or as a break from west end shopping.

Date of visit: March 2019