“A truly wonderful restaurant that I have loved for over 25 years ”
Review of La Poule au Pot

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Lunch served through to 5.30 p.m
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It never ever changes ! A Manager who epitomises charm , kindness and style !! A restaurant that is romantic , chic and full of character . In the Summer we always sit at living tables outside overlooking the street . In Winter, warm and cosy tables and soft lighting that creates a very romantic atmosphere !! As for the food !! There is nothing on the Poule au Pot menu that we don’t love to bits so let’s just say that it combines classic French dishes with good old traditional English grub. An exciting wine list that we adore !! We come for Dinner at least one a month and as far as we are concerned this is our favourite restaurant in London !! Just wonderful and for us impossible to beat !!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (719)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

For the prices this restaurant charges one would expect considerably better food. had the set lunch and we left underwhelmed. There are many other places nearby where the casual diner will be better served.
Very french vibe but poor delivery.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A recent reviewer commented that this restaurant just has ‘stereotype French food’ and I can’t disagree with that - but then that’s what we were after and that precisely what we got. All dishes were exactly as advertised - no more, no less - and none was lacking at all in flavour. The foie gras was intense!! Wow - just a nibble was enough for me. My salmon paupiette was a far lighter and delightful option to have chosen amongst very heavy and strong French dishes.
The little crudités served to the table were a nice touch and the bread offering so plentiful if you had the room to fit it!!
The duck with lime sauce was sadly totally obliterated by the lime and I didn’t really know whether it was duck under there! On the other hand the lamb main was a hit. The asparagus starter looked somewhat lacklustre and hard.
The cheese came with more crackers/biscuits than I’ve seem in my life - thank you for that generosity but not for the fact I’ve hardly been able to lug my own stomach around since overindulging the other night!!!! All very indulgent. One of these days I’ll work out how French women stay slim - it isn’t by dining at La Poule au Pot!!
Finally, I know it’s the atmosphere they desire for their restaurant but the darkness (low lighting) inside is extreme. I’m glad it was a gorgeous night to be outside and to take it the lovely street/surrounds.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A good sized French bistro with an attractive outlook and outside seating under an awning, first impressions weren’t great as we were completely ignored on arrival by one waiter, although from then on the service was much better. It looks quite attractive internally with much exposed brickwork, although the tables seem remarkably squashed in. We were seated down in one corner with very little access either behind the table or to the side. It was also very dark in there – if you’re of a certain age, you’re definitely going to need glasses and a torch, especially as the style and colour of the typeface seem deliberately designed to make it as difficult to read as possible.

Complimentary bread was provided while we perused the menu, and I opted for the smoked salmon roulade stuffed with crab. This was a certainly a generous portion and was tasty enough, but ultimately it wasn’t anything particularly exciting and would have been easy enough to knock up at home. At £16.87 (including the “optional” service charge) it was far too expensive. Next up I went for the Beef Bourguignon which came just as it was – any vegetables or potatoes had to be ordered separately. I went for red cabbage and the sautéed potatoes which added another £12.37 to the bill – so almost £30 in total. This again was a tasty dish, with decent chunks of tender meat in a rich sauce, but the beef was perhaps a little thin on the ground. The sautéed potatoes were really more roasted than sautéed, but were pretty good nonetheless, as was the cabbage.

I finished with a tarte tatin which was perhaps a little disappointing. I’d normally expect a caramelised layer of sugar over the top from where it’s been cooked, but this really wasn’t noticeable and the apples were quite sharp rather than sweet. It would also have been nice to have ice cream with it rather than Chantilly cream. A decent bottle of Sancerre rounded off the meal nicely.

Overall, this was a perfectly nice meal in a perfectly nice restaurant, but some of the prices were far too expensive, even accounting for the area in which it’s located.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Average food. You will find all the classic of the old French bistrot cuisine here. I would call it a « Stereotype experience ». The lack of taste trying to be hidden with a lot of fat and salt.
Service is average again, not nice not bad ... a little bit like the food finally.
Much better place in London if you want to experience the French cuisine !