“Great place for lunch or dinner”
Review of Andrew Edmunds

Andrew Edmunds
Ranked #1,812 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Established 1986, Andrew Edmunds is considered one of the last bastions of 'old Soho'. This 18thc. town house has, for almost thirty years, attracted many loyal customers. A relaxed atmosphere, seasonal menu and famous but reasonably priced wine list have ensured our enduring popularity.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We go there once a year as a group of about 6 for our reunion lunch. The food and service is always excellent. it is a quaint restaurant and there is no pressure to give up your table. and very reasonably priced for West End.

1  Thank GIDAYE

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Wonderful location, friendly staff, interesting and varied menu, warm, cozy, romantic atmosphere. We always enjoy a visit to Andrew Edmunds. One thing to remember before you go: reserve a table upstairs. It makes all the difference in the world.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I thought i knew Soho well and then was invited out for a Christmas lunch to Andrew Edmunds on Lexington Street. I had never even noticed this venue before despite working in Soho for the last 10 years, so I was surprised to find this small and very friendly establishment just around the corner from my workplace on Regent St. We arrived at approx 12.30pm for lunch with colleagues and the restaurant was deserted, by the time we left around 3pm it was packed out. The staff were extremely hospitable and chatty, the food really great and apparently the menu changes every day. I had a fois gras pate followed by bratwurst with mash and saurkraut which was delicious and the portions massive. I couldn't face a dessert as I was so full but my colleagues ginger and chocolate tart and apple crumble were delicious (I had a taste of each). I would definitely come back again and the only thing that holds me back from giving a top rating is the restaurant was so cold when we arrived i had to keep my coat on for some time before my colleague actually worked out the air con unit next to us and managed to get it to heat the room. Other than that I would highly recommend this establishment.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

As you step through the door it feels like you might have gone back in time. It was 6:30 and it was dark, but inside you are surrounded by wine bottles with candles in the them. The restaurant is very small but it is lovely, it is intimate and romantic. Food was also good, my starter was excellent and the main was good. Only slight downfall they only sell wine so if you like wine then you are all good!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We've been meeting friends here for over a decade and usually been delighted, but this Wednesday was not a great experience. The menu is usually nicely varied with options to suit most tastes and preferences, the portions moderate - not over generous and not lean, the taste and presentation comforting, and the staff friendly, bordering on slightly familiar in a positive sense.

This week, the menu felt a little constrained - really only one vegetarian main option, for example. Our starters arrived and the discrepancy in presentation and portion size was extraordinary. Two had ordered Welsh Rarebit - good sized portions, delicious, but slapped onto the plate with absolutely no finesse. The other two ordered different salads. One of these arrived filling the starter sized plate - just about right for a salad. The other was a dollop of beetroot and cheese 2.5 inches in diameter sitting in the middle of an expanse of white plate.

One of the special mains was grouse, and three of our party ordered this. Of course, this has potential to taste 'gamey' but one described hers as tasting like fish, the second as 'very gamey' and the third just left most of his on the plate untouched. In days gone by, the staff would have noticed a plate that had been left like this, but not this week.

The other main we had was a pumpkin risotto. You wouldn't think you could make much of a mess of a risotto, but this one was off the mark. It was sticky and the pumpkin was almost homogenized within it. Then stirred in were supposedly roasted pumpkin seeds that were so unroasted that they were virtually raw.

Something wasn't working for the waitress - she was perfectly attentive - indeed calmly professional - but the friendly edge just wasn't there. Andrew Edmunds is a cosy place - the tables are really very close, especially downstairs, but that doesn't really justify throwing the cutlery down, which she did a couple of times, and thumping the decanted wine in the middle of the table. Of course, we are just punters but this wasn't the kind of attitude we've come to expect.

I hope that this was an aberration, but do worry that their popularity hasn't finally got the better of them.

And finally, I really don't understand why male visitors to upmarket restaurants like Andrew Edmunds behave like animals, but for some reason their aim when visiting the cramped loo is diabolical. The loo isn't the most elegant feature in the restaurant either, but by half way through the evening the state of it was disgusting. This has obviously always been an issue, and the floor is finished in a wet-room type covering, but I really think they need to carry out an hourly (or more frequent) inspection and I know this won't be the most popular job in the place, but mop it out with disinfectant.

1  Thank Graham W