“China Boulevard Wedding Feast”

China Boulevard on the River
Ranked #15,635 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just had a lovely experience ,attending a wedding reception at China Boulevard. Really good food with huge variety....12 courses...I don't think there was much left, that swims in the sea, that we did not try at some point during the evening! Beautifully decorated venue with lovely table centre pieces and flowers. Only downpoint, we were busy taking photos and when we turned back to our table the staff had cleared and thrown away our wedding favours which were cute little chinese pin boxes which we wanted to keep, thought that was a bit "off", we persuaded them to get some back but ended up with 3 from a table of 8....annoying!! Best wishes to the new Mr and Mrs Ngyuen

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were attracted by its 50% dim sum offer for lunch Monday to Friday. I can confirm that even with this offer the place was just under 50% full upstairs. So 7 of us went to feast on dim sum on this offer. I researched their web site and confirmed it was indeed 50% off all dim sum and there was a menu on their web site. Upon arrival there was a dim sum menu selection sheet (you ask tick off the dim sum that you like with a pen). Being cautious I asked a waitress if it was 50% off (my sister whispered to me to hint that I should lower my voice as it was a bit embarassing to inquire about special offers in case other people at adjacent tables heard me!) Immediately this waitress identified for me that the "cheung fun (pasta like roll with meat fillings" and the dim sum sweet items were not included in the 50% special offer. The food was very good and the service was excellent with frequent topping up of hot water for the same tea in the tea pots. Then again there were 7 of us and £7 + service charge is a lot of money for hot water with tea. We ate about £90 worth of full priced dim sum, but when the bill came my mental arithmetic worked out that if the 50% offer were true then I should be paying about £5-£10 less than the discounted price on the bill! Anyway my sister told me to keep a low profile for this occasion so I just paid up and left! Afterwards I analysed the itemised bill and determined that the service charge (12.5%) was calculated from the full price of the dim sum and not from the 50% off price. I thought it was rather cheeky to do a 50% off and to apply 12.% service charge on the fill price. So coupled with the items that were supposed to be 50% off as stated on their web site I calcuated that I had to pay £10 more than what the 50% offer stated. Inspite of this we had a wonderful time. The toilets were clean and the service excellent. For those with limited mobility there is no lift to the upstairs where the dim sum is served. (The lower floor is not used when less busy). I have given it 4* rating overall by being generous even though I felt it was unfair to advertise 50% offer on their web site when they tried to claw back the discount by excluding items and to levy too much service charge. The priced charged was value for money when compared with the full price at the weekend but I suppose not so good value when business is quient Monday to Friday when the special offer is suppose to attract people who would otherwise not come (at full price).

Reviewed July 4, 2012

The dim sum baskets were amazing and everything else was lovely. Not listed under tastecard but they allowed us to use the discount as it was a week day. View of the river was nice.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We came here for our anniversary, but my boyfriend surprised me to it so I had no clue what to expect. This was his second time coming here with his kung fu master who lives near the riverside and he recommend the place.

The waiter gave us a nice and comfortable place to sit near the river. The waiters were all generally friendly and charming. It was around the afternoon we came here so it wasn't that busy, they served us with our drinks and the food came right on time.

The food was amazing, not too greasy, the meat was more juicy tenderised.
We always have a crave for dim sum whenever we go out, but the dim sum here looks more stuffed and vibrant. The chow fun we usually order from other Chinese restaurants were always served plain with just the meat or fish inside, but the ones here are packed with even more meat and vegetables! The selection of the dim sum had more choices then the regular dim sum menu we always know by heart, so we ordered more things we haven't tried yet. I normally don't get desserts after, but I was contemplating what to get. The waiter kindly recommended me a beautiful chinese milk dessert with added taro and pearls. This brings back memories from the past and I was quite sad that in some dim sum restaurants they don't sell this.

For the value, I'm surprised. The dim sum was priced normal like any other dim sum, but slightly more valuable and cheaper. The exciting part is that on the weekdays they take an extra £10 off from your bill, which is quite the bargain so we did give them some extra tip for the wonderful service. On the weekends will be probably expensive, because they have weekly karaoke nights.

The atmosphere was beautiful as you get to see the view of the thames and the decor had a traditional oriental feel to it. We came here in the afternoon, but I would probably recommend coming in the evening. I could imagine the beauty of the view.

Overall my first time here was amazing. It was a lovely surprise indeed thanks to my boyfriend c: and the whole feeling felt like a fine dining experience, but more casual, and the value from it all was a bonus. I hope to return here one day. However, there's only 2 downsides:

1. They only do cash and the ATM machine is quite a walk.
2. It's far and it's located almost out of sight from the public. This would be a good time to know how to drive, because it would be one of those lovely days to go home satisfied without the need of local transport.

1  Thank PandaCat07
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband had been to this restaurant before and complained about their food being very salty and greasy. We attended a Chinese Wedding Banquet there last week and I got to witness this for myself. The mixed seafood dish was over cooked. The crab claw was completely tasteless and somehow managed to actually taste like water and my gosh... They battered the lobster!!! I did not understand thus at all. The shell was battered (pointless as you don't eat the shell) and as it was deep fried, it totally took the taste away. What happened to good old ginger and spring onion lobster? The batter just seriously killed that dish completely. People may compliment the view, but I didn't get to see it at all. Maybe you have to sit right up to the window to appreciate the view. But hey, I judge a restaurant more on the food and service

1  Thank MDH1985