“Great location, good service.”
Review of Babylon

Babylon
Ranked #400 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Set high up on the seventh floor of The Roof Gardens, offering amazing views of London's skyline, Babylon really is a cut above the rest. Your taste buds will be thrilled by the menus. The award-winning food at Babylon is best described as contemporary British and the menus change regularly to ensure only the freshest seasonal ingredients are used. There are Table d'Hote lunch menus available for two and three courses (Monday to Saturday) as well as a delicious Sunday Roast offering. Guests looking to dine al fresco can cosy up throughout the winter on our heated terrace to indulge in baked cheeses and fresh breads or enjoy a delicious fresh seafood menu in the summer. The restaurant can accommodate everything from an intimate dinner to lunch with friends. The private dining room is ideal for parties or meetings of up to 12 guests, with its own terrace overlooking the resident flamingos. For larger groups of up to 30 guests, a stylish, semi-private area can be booked and Babylon can also be hired exclusively for dinner and cocktail receptions for up to 120 guests. Babylon comes alive on Tuesday nights from 7.30Pm with the smooth tunes of live jazz. No need to bring your dancing shoes, just sit back and enjoy a delicious menu against a backdrop of live music. On Friday and Saturday evenings, guests can go to The Roof Gardens' private members' club on the sixth floor to continue their evening. Babylon at The Roof Gardens is a sky-high venue. The memory of mouth-watering cuisine, exceptional service and spectacular views will stay with you long after you have left.
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Not as fabulous as I had expected.

The food was a bit "normal", not adventurous.

Our starters were very good, as were the deserts. Our main course was uninspiring (beef fillet).

That said, the surroundings and the staff were pretty well excellent.

The house red is very good (Spanish I think).

There are newer reviews for Babylon

Reviewed December 4, 2012

A very, very chic restaurant indeed. Great food, great service and a great all round experience. Take the opportunity to go outside and look over the roof garden after your meal. It is a simply stunning sight and creation!

1  Thank David D
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We visited Babylon this weekend for an early Christmas get together, as some of our closest friends won't be around during the festive season. We had the privilege of being given the private dining room, due to a mistake with our booking earlier in the week. The private dining room is gorgeous, although it wouldn't matter where you were sat as the main restaurant is lovely too. As we had a small child with us it was great to be out of the way and gave us a great chance to catch up properly.

I have to say that from the moment we arrived the staff were outstanding, all very polite and pleasant and made us feel incredibly welcome. We were left to our own devises when needed but if you needed anything they weren't too far away.

I've wanted to eat at Babylon for some time now as the views of London as well as the gardens looked lovely. They certainly didn't let us down the vista is amazing and a small balcony allowed us to enjoy the views and the gardens undisturbed. The gardens below are also incredible with mature trees, a stream and flamingos!!! Its quite an odd feeling having that below you, being seven stories up.

The food was great value at 3 courses for £24 and we all agreed that the starters were well cooked and presented. I had the salt and pepper quid which was cooked to perfection. Main courses were all presented very nicely but there wasn't as much praise as the starters. My steak tasted lovely but was a little on the chewy side, and the roast chicken didn't look like it had seen an oven after being water bathed, leaving it a little too spongy. Deserts and cheese were both good. And the drinks were great. I don't think any of the food was terrible but neither was it outstanding, in my view. However the surroundings and staff definitely made up for this and we had a fantastic time.

1  Thank Rory I
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Three of us went for Sunday Lunch last week and had a lovely time. As soon as we arrived we were greeted and shown to our table, one of the booths, which was very nice and offered a bit more privacy. Our waiter came straight away and took our orders, he was very friendly and attentive and does his job well.
We opted for the 2 course set lunch for £26. Starters were very nice, (my celeriac & horseradish soup was delicious) and and we each had a different roast. The pork, lamb and beef were all excellent, lovely fresh veg to share (portions of the veg may be a little on the small side), the only minor negative was that the roast potatoes were slighly over done for my taste and the mint sauce was 'unusual'.
We could not go into the gardens as there was a function on but we went on to the balcony and the views over London are amazing.
To sum up, a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, excellent service, food and atmosphere, would definately recommend it and look forward to making a return trip.

1  Thank Teresa H
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We booked this restaurant & club because we were looking for an upscale and classy restaurant and club as part of our girls' weekend in London. Sadly, this was neither. The welcome at the restaurant was fine. We were given a very nice booth. Our waiter arrived to take our drink order but kept trying to insist on a bottle of champagne despite our request for the cocktail menu which we eventually received. Three of us ordered martinis and while the fourth girl was trying to read the menu to decide what she wanted, our (polite) waiter again tried to insist on something champagne-based.

We got our drinks - all of which were yummy and our food order was taken. We also ordered a bottle of red wine which was an effort to get too as our waiter wanted to give us something else. I had to insist on the one we ordered. I must say that the food overall was not fantastic. While we weren't expecting Michelin-starred quality, we did hope that it would be good. My mushroom risotto was quickly sickly and my braised pork was very dry. The crackling was delicious though. I won't comment for the others as I didn't taste theirs.
At the end of the meal came the bill with over £30 "optional" service charge. We are generally quite generous with our tips particularly as one of us is a restaurant owner herself but we requested that this be taken off so that we could decide ourselves. There were some mishaps including mixing up the sparkling and still water and not doing anything except vaguely offering to change them while moving away. We left our tip and moved to the bar for an after-dinner cocktail as one of our party wasn't going to Babylon. Again the service charge ...
We then went down to Babylon and ordered a cocktail, glass of wine and redbull... a redbull served from previously opened cans which were clearly used as mixers:-(( When we asked the surly waitress to take off the charge she promptly barked "what is wrong with my service" to which we promptly replied "nothing as it was non-existant ... you didn't say hello or look in our general direction once and just poured three drinks"... When I ordered the next round, I did leave the service charge as the waiter was friendly and polite.

The Gardens is beautiful - great location and lovely surrounds. Sadly the rest simply doesn't do it justice. Also, for a club that maintains that it is private, it should, perhaps, rethink its door policy. The clientele was not quite what I was expecting either.

I will not be returning.

4  Thank Jacksdp
VLELondon, General Manager at Babylon, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, however I was sorry to hear of your disappointment following your recent visit and for the issues you encountered. We clearly fell down in more than one area and I would like to sincerely apologise. I'd be grateful if you could kindly advise how I can contact you directly to try to make amends, alternatively please feel free to email me at the address below.

Kind regards