“Different experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Different experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Popped in here because we were looking for Ethiopian restaurants along Caledonian Road. Addis was really convenient and the first one we saw while walking from King's Cross station. Well, there was nothing bad about this place but it was certainly not what I was expecting. I was expecting maybe something more 'African' in terms of like sitting down at low tables. The wait for the food was pretty long considering it was empty when my friends and I visited for an early dinner. When the food came, the waiter poured the dishes out one by one on that giant pancake and left. We stared at it wondering how to eat it. Kinda funny actually.

We ordered lamb and chicken. The meat were cooked well, tender and quite tasty. Enjoyed the meat a lot. However, it was kinda pathetic to see only one drumstick for the chicken. The lamb was diced meat though, so it was definitely better. I can't remember what I ordered exactly but it was the chicken that's mildly spicy. It tasted like bolognese sauce to me... so kinda disappointing because I'd really wanted to like it. The lamb reminded me of indian curry.

My friends and I thought the whole meal was pretty unusual but it was a good experience overall trying Ethiopian food for the first time. We thought eating the meat with the pancake-like thing was kinda weird because it was tasted a little bit sour and sweet, and it wasn't warm.

That said, the food was pretty cheap (less than 10£) so no harm trying it out. We were definitely proud that we tried Ethiopian food once in our lives! Reminded us of Indian food a little and we still prefer Indian...

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Well Worth a Visit For a Different Experience”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was staying in the area and as always I am always looking for new food experiences and as I was walking along the Caledonian Road spotted this restaurant. I initially walked past, not really knowing what I to expect inside, anyway I went in and I was not disappointed, surprised yes, but not disappointed.

Not knowing anything about what I was ordering I chose a meat, with a cabbage side, it arrived on a steel plate with what I thought was a bed of tripe! I need not have worried, the bed was a form of flat bread called “Injera”, this bread is used like an Asian / Arabic bread and you use it to eat your food, it is odd to taste, but it accompanies the food perfectly.

I enjoyed the experience and would certainly return to try something else off the menu.

As to how to rate something you have never encountered, I think you can only go off what your experience was on the day and I would say it was very good, but I can see why this may not be everyone's choice.

• Visited July 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good value and interesting”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first time eating Eithiopian. The restaurant is just behind Kings Cross Station. We arrived just
after 7 on aFriday evening and it was very quiet, but most tables hade been reserved. When we left he place was very busy.

There are comments on here's about poor service. Our take on this is that the staff are perhaps a little reserved, and that may be their manner. We encountered no unfriendliness or rudeness.

The food tends to be eaten with your fingers, so be prepared. We ordered a selection for two, including chicken, lamb and vegetarian. It was spicy and tasty and comes served on a sort of sour spongy bread (better than its sounds) which you tear off strips and use to pick up the food.

We had two starters, a shared main course ( for 2) and a bottle of wine, all for less than £45, which we thought was good value.

• Visited July 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Never back again”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The service gone to the worst. The food is not like before 2-3 years ago was the best one. I have been last week with friends I was so disappointed. the food was so slow less test customer service was so bad waiter they look they are angry. Nice location but please waiter smile and I hope the food will be the same as before.

1 Thank Senait B
London at the moment
“Best Ethiopian I've had (although not been to Ethiopia!). Fresh & tasty!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I was introduced to Ethiopian food over 10 years ago in New York and its a favourite food of mine. Have had it in several countries since and previously had to wait for trips to Paris to get the good stuff. Absolutely delighted to find this restaurant near Euston & Kings Cross stations!! Popped in after arriving back to London one evening. Food was fresh, very tasty and the (vegetarian) platter I got came with 6 different dishes - loved every one of them. You can eat at either the traditional-type table with stools or at a 'normal' table. Either way, food tastes great and was good value. Service was quick and polite. Atmosphere is more an informal dinner/catch up with friends/quick bite solo sort of place (all Ethiopian restaurants I've been to have been like this). Will definitely be back!