“Convenient to the City especially if you have to have a car”

The RE London Shoreditch
Ranked #564 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Convenient to the City especially if you have to have a car”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

A clean modern hotel close to the City in a scruffy part of London.
Good secure underground parking, but you can't book in advance.
Wi-fi available but if busy you may not be able to log in.

The rooms become expensive if you don't book sometime in advance especially during busy periods.

• Stayed August 2013
DarrynTanner, General Manager at The RE London Shoreditch, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We thank Stephen for his review and are pleased that he enjoyed his stay. The car park is allocated mainly on the day of arrival but we will always do our utmost to deliver all requests made for parking spaces made at time of booking. Unfortunately our pricing like most Hotels is dependable upon customer demand and time of season but as Stephen has commented there is always value for money if you are able to book your stay in advance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
County Antrim, N. Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you are looking for a decent hotel, good value for money, and don't mind being away from the city centre, then this is a good base. Great price for a London Hotel. Large open plan reception, bar and restaurant. Room are small, but adequately equipped.... similar to a Premier Inn. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. Bar prices were very reasonable for London..ie £3:70 a pint, and £10 for a tasty lunch from the bar menu. Approx 10 mins walk to Bethnal Green tube station. There is a bus stop outside the hotel with runs to Liverpool Street. The National Express coach from Stansted stops/collects from Bethnal Green tube station. A 10 min walk takes you to the beautiful Broadway Market area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank the guest for their positive review and hope to see them return to the RE London Shoreditch soon.
Leicestershire, England
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is very good value for money, The third floor room I stayed in was perfect for my needs: clean, comfortable and well equipped with a good bathroom. My only quibble is a common fault with hotels, there are never enough sachets of coffee and sugar or tea bags and milk provided to have a hot drink at night and again in the morning - and I was travelling alone. Many hotels say you can ask for more but that is an unnecessary inconvenience for items that cost so little and yet can make such a big difference to a guest's stay.

I paid in advance for my room from a late booking internet site, yet I was asked for an additional £50 holding bond from my credit card to be repaid on check-out. The reception staff insisted that this is normal in London but I have never, ever been asked for this before. Experienced travellers may know better than me but I objected vehemently to the implication that I would either steal from their room or would trash it to some extent. I reluctantly agreed as I was about to meet my daughter immediately after check-in. I asked the staff to countersign (to witness) my written objection to their demand. All refused, including the duty manager. This was my first impression - not a welcoming one!

I was down from the English East Midlands to visit my daughter and her boyfriend who live just around the corner in Bethnal Green, which is where this hotel is located. This part of London is on the rise and there are a number of good restaurants nearby. The hotel has a restaurant but I wasn't prepared to pay £13 for a breakfast. Instead, my daughter and I found an excellent café along the Hackney Road from the hotel, called the Long White Cloud. For dinner the previous evening, three of us went to the Buen Ayre Restaurant up the road around the corner from the hotel at Broadway Market.

London can be expensive: if you buy a pint of beer and a glass of wine from the hotel bar you will only get a small amount of change from a £10 note; if there are three of you you'll need to pull a £20 note from your wallet. I know it's my age but when I was a boy that was a man's weekly wage. However, some restaurants and cafes do give great value for money, even in London. Please read my reviews of the two I visited and which I highly recommend.

Would I stay in the RE again? Yes I would but I would welcome the hotel re-thinking its room bond and be more welcoming of its guests at reception.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KMB48
We thank the guest for their constructive review of their stay at The RE London Shoreditch and hope that if they return in the future their stay will be more to their satisfaction. We like other hotels do try to accommodate guest requirements when it comes to the refreshments in the room and it is a combination of trying to gauge the average consumption and space to store them but as commented more can be given upon request. The £50 swipe of the customers card is our security deposit that is taken against all customers checking in to cover all eventualities as well as allowing the guest to charge extras to their room - upon departure it is released by the bank if not required to be used.
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Stay was ok however we found the staff to be grumpy (besides Andrea) and more concerned about saving a dollar over pleasing its guests. Our flight arrived in from Singapore at 6am so we asked about acquiring 1 of our 3 rooms early so we could dump our gear. The charge was 50 pounds to get in at midday which was ok however we paid this at 1153am and were told we needed to wait another 7 minutes until 12 on the dot before we could get in. We asked if the room was being cleaned and the gentleman replied saying it was ready to go but we needed to wait 7 minutes. We also spend a considerable amount of money over the bar and and the restaurant and at no stage did any staff ever even smile or spark up a conversation. Didn't realise living in London was so depressing! No conversation about travel, nothing. On a number of times the person serving the drinks made us walk to the bar to collect the drinks rather than bringing them to our table. The rooms are very small and the twin rooms have the beds separated by about 5 inches and cannot be moved due to the location of the bedside tables. There was also no provision of bathroom supplies which is just expected in decent hotels. Doubt we would stay their again.

Stayed July 2013
We apologise to Jeremy that he did not fully enjoy his stay at The RE London Shoreditch and did not feel that the staff were attentive to his needs. All staff should be welcoming and approachable to guests at all times and if this was not the case we are sorry. The incident related to check in should have been delivered with a level of common sense rather than trying to hide behind the processes in place. I am surprised about the lack of toiletries as we provide individual toiletries FOC in every bathroom inclusive of face cloth. We hope that Jeremy does give us another opportunity to see us deliver the level of service he expects and see that any dissatisfaction he felt previously was an unfortunate oversight.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The newly renovated Re London Shoreditch is a high value London hotel with all the right qualities going for it except one thing; in the room WIFI either does not function or has to be re booted everyday with a phone call and even then may not work. It is however a free service and does work in the lobby. Location is very near a tube station that is not far out. Bethanl Green/Hackney area is an up and coming part of London. Technically it is not sitting in the Shoreditch neighborhood. But this area is filled with new shops and young entrepreneurs. Its exciting and interesting and quiet at night. We asked for a non view room on the inside of a courtyard. It was perfect the windows opened for air and it was silent at night for a good sleep. The shower water pressure was vey strong and what I most appreciated was the tile shelf set into the wall especially designed for your toiletry bag to sit so it doesnt get wet from the sink area. An expensive detail that is so comforting. We paid 10 lbs mre to have a little more room to work and do our on line stuff however the room WIFI each night had to be re booted. They did tell us we could move our room and each night the wifi worked after re booting so the trouble of moving was put off. After 4 nights and the end of our stay the last night being the worst in that the WIFI never worked I felt this is a problem they need to address. Other wise the hotel is a good value, very clean, attractive decor, nice staff, and well located. I will stay there again as long as I am assured the WIFI works in the room.

Room Tip: there is no view choose an interior room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We thank the guest for the honest review of their stay with us at The RE London Shoreditch which on the whole was very positive. The area that is negatively reviewed which is the WiFi is something we are currently addressing as we are also frustrated with the service level that can drop for the guests. We are currently exploring investment in changing the service provider and size and speed of pipe into the building so we can deliver to the guests expectations.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for three nights a week for the last three months. It grows on you. Once all the staff get to know you you get very well taken care of. It's clean, connected (to slow but free broadband), has a bar and a reasonable restaurant and very well connected to transport (bus stops to the City and Central London are 50 yards away and Old Street tube station is a single bus ride away as is Liverpool Street). And the A/C is brilliant.

It's a bit out of the way down Hackney Road, but otherwise great.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of space ask for the £10/night upgrade which gets you a larger room and a sofa and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We thank Michael for his positive comments which are very welcome as he is a regular guest and hope he continues to enjoy the personal service we aim to deliver for the entirety of his stay with us at The Re London Shoreditch.