“Overrated”

Neighborhood: Marylebone
“Overrated”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

One word, disappointing.

Although the dishes were nicely presented, the quality and taste were not impressive.

The sashimi was not as fresh as expected. For the price, the portion was EXTREMELY small: The tacos can be finished in one bite.

It is an expensive restaurant given that you have to order a lot in order to be full.

5 Thank mangoCooper

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic sushi with fusion flair”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Somehow, despite opening yonks ago, Dinings had fallen through our net, and we have only now corrected this glaring error!

First, the venue. Others have complained about the small basement and its concrete floor…I thought it was charming, and felt authentic in an all-about-the-food way. There have been comments too about uninterested staff; I thought they were sweet, and the ratio to diners is good.

So, to the food. Highlights were the tar tar chips – sort of mini, crunchy potato tacos, with various fillings including a delicious Wagyu beef with chilli miso and a fatty tuna with wasabi-jalapeno; fatty tuna sushi just dissolved into a buttery ooze in the mouth (and a note on the sushi rice, which is the best I’ve had, and they serve it in Japanese proportions ie small mound of rice with much larger tranche of fish draped over); seared Wagyu beef with foie gras and sweet soy (best thing I’ve put in my mouth for ages); the double crab sushi roll with soft shell tempura and yuzu garlic sauce; Korean lamb cutlets with chilli miso and shiso mint; shabu shabu Iberian pork slivers; eel and foie gras sushi with sweet soy (stunning); a Japanese take on a char sui bun with more Wagyu beef, and finally eel donburi. With more foie gras, natch.

Less thrilling, sadly, were the seabass carpaccio with fresh spring truffle and ponzu jelly and the sashimi 4 ways (which comes prettily presented in spoons, and included gurnard, lobster, salmon, salmon roe and tuna). They were mostly drenched in acidic sauce – was this maybe the yuzu? It’s saying something when you’re picking up slices of fish and shaking them with your chopsticks to get the sauce off! There was a touch of heavy handed seasoning on the baked aubergine with sweet miso too.

Finally - they'd run out of urchin and turbot (boo, apparently they have a problem with their supplier, I'd do wanted the uni!!) Also the sushi counter closes at 2.30 so no more mains after that. Bit odd for central London. We were told that we could order puddings after, and then that we couldn't, and then that we could again - bit odd. But apologised for sweetly.

It’s confusing, because all other technical aspects are at such a high level, and this just seems like a bit of a schoolboy error.

But, with careful ordering, I do think this is some of the best Japanese food in the country.

• Visited August 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back! (When I've saved up!)”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I'm a huge fan of Japanese food, especially the raw fish-related bits and I loved this, despite a worry it might be a bit too "fusion". It's not traditional sushi, but it doesn't go so far away from traditional sushi as to ruin it, as the fish is fresh and all the flavours fantastic. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't approve of the addition of things like foie gras...but all of these flavours are subtle and complimentary, making it an interesting and delicious experience, rather than ruining great fish/concepts.
We followed the instructions from the waitress, which I would highly recommend (if you can afford it!) This involves one dish from every page on the menu. The potato chips with lobster were excellent, then seabass carpaccio with truffle (probably a highlight for me), black cod, a special of hot baby squid (crunchy, salty, vinegary, try it!), then 5 pieces sushi each. I'd follow the recommendations of staff to make sure you get the freshest and most delicious bites.
We didn't drink much booze and the whole thing came to £180 for two people. Fine for a special birthday meal, but probably a bit steep for the experience if you wanted a good lot of wine/sake a well. I absolutely loved it, but the price would make it a special occasion only place I think. Having said that, it made a special occasion very special! We sat at the sushi counter as we like to chat with the chefs and watch the creation of the magic, but it's not fancy, very plain, so if you were trying to impress/do something special, maybe try the restaurant downstairs. I didn't see it but I heard it's more intimate/fancy.
I actually keep thinking about the squid in particular and wanting to go back. Got to be a good sign!

New York City, New York
“Modern Japanese Meets the Queen”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Credit to team at Dinings for marrying the Japanese joy of Omakase with the sensibility of the british. I dined alone at the sushi bar and was carefully taken through an Omakase of their unique Tar-Tar Chips (think Japanese oriented taco) modern sashimi, one of their mains (Lamb) and a modest offering of sushi. Modest in number, excellent in taste.

The chef's are pleasant, expert and fun, it is a nice take on the japanese vibe with high quality ingredients. Alex lead the charge for my meal and was clearly interested in the meal and my enjoyment. Glad to have found it 10 minutes from the paddington area and I will be back.

Bournemouth, England
“Really really good...”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed this small local restaurant in between Paddington and Baker Street. Had a whole selection of dishes and not one of them failed to deliver great taste. A few highlights included tuna sashimi with fois gras mousse, Scottish lobster tempura, and an amazing sea bass sashimi with fresh truffle. So not traditional Japanese but really interesting flavours. Two bottles of wine hiked the bill up a bit, but will definitely go back soon.

1 Thank UKtraveller143