“Good to have in London”

Neighborhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“Good to have in London”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This kind of Japanese restaurant should be kept in London coz it is medium quality-priced restaurant that needs in London at least. Found it as mixed up inspiration of Nobu and general Izakaya in Japan but obviously a lot missed Japanese simple culinary. Some of dish were far too westernaised as they called kind of (north American) sala sauce than tosa-zu or momiji-oroshi. But some of dish were enjoyable at our last visiting. So let's encourage them to keep!!

• Visited November 2012

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
thejerseygourmand
“Small but beautiful”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Found this restaurant thanks to TripAdvisor reviews.
I thought I knew all the good Japanese restaurants in London, but I'd missed this one and it is truly outstanding!
The chips as they call them, are small crisp-like cups of absolutely delicious fillings. Ask for a selection, which may be a cerviche type dice of scallop, salmon, wagyu beef and others.
I then had a simply delicious plate of flounder sashimi with truffle. Followed by black cod. I thought I'd have this as the chefs used to work in Nobu. It's rather different from the Nobu style black cod. It was delicious but if I'm honest, I didn't rate it quite as highly. I don't think it was marinated in the same way or for as long but it was far more substantial (not that that's difficult, given the almost microscopic Nobu portion size!). Also it came with what was essentially harissa and the taste of that rather overwhelmed my next course - which was, due to pure gluttony, a repeat selection of the crisps!

The drinks list is ok. I would prefer a few more white wines on offer, especially by the glass. I started with a delicious cocktail, the name of which I forget, but it had a large and very flavoursome shiso leaf in it. I drank sake with the meal and the range of that is pretty good I would say, although I'm not an expert on it.

Service was first class. Friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.

Others have mentioned the rather uninspiring decor which I understand. It doesn't match the food, that's for sure. It's tempting to say they should expand, but they've been open, apparently, for several years, so the books must balance and, for now at least, it remains a cherished hideaway known to relatively few.

My usual haunts for this sort of food are Nobu, Zuma etc, but I think Dinings has replaced them for me.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Tiny but a wonderful experience!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is fine Japanese dinning with a modern twist - try the Belly Pork for a real eye opener! We've been here quite a few times over the last couple of years and whilst the hand-writen menu is constantly changing the highest levels of produce, preparation and presentation are always achieved - delivered with superb and knowlegable service. Booking is a must!

Visited December 2012
Madrid, Spain
“Innovative and tasty”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A small restaurant near Edgeware Road in London. As you go in there is a small sushi bar and some stairs to go down into a smallish room. A bit cramped with no no place to wait if you are early or the table is not ready. Service is extremely friendly and efficient. And the food is excellent. Great Japanese ''tapas''. I have been to better places for sushi, but the dishes are innovative and tasty. Starters were crispy chips with lobster, tuna, or beef...really delicious !! The wagyu beef outstanding and the chocolate fondant perfect. Wines are good and well priced. A wonderful evening.

• Visited February 2013
DETBoulder
“Best Shushi I've Had in a Long Time!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Fantastic! A bit pricey but definitely worth it. By far the best miso soup, and a very creative sushi menu. I will remember this one for a long time, and would go out of my way to eat here again.

The service was great, and all of the staff incredibly friendly.

Visited March 2013