“Still one of my most favourites”
Review of Dinings

Dinings
Ranked #1,453 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“Still one of my most favourites”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I've visited Dinings about 7 times now and it never fails me. Not once =). I love experiencing new restaurants but Dinings is one of the place that keeps me coming back. Dinings offers one, if not the best Japanese food in town and trust me I've been to many. I always order matsusaka beef topped with foie gras and one with royal jelly. Tar tar chip. Eel topped with foie gras. The previous visit we ordered three way toro which was just amazing. I love this restaurant. The service was efficient. Lovely green tea. Price was reasonable. May be a bit expensive but the ingredients are finely chosen and very up to your expectations. Definitely going back!

• Visited September 2011

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Berlin, Germany
“Decent Japanese Food - adequate lunch pricing”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Rather hidden gem. Had lunch with client in London there. While the tables are bit small to spread out paper and go through spreadsheets, the food tips the scale towards excellent.

We were certainly NOT rushed (as some other reviewers have mentioned), and the services, while not on par with the food, was certainly adequate. Then again, the food is so good that it is hard at all to find corresponding service quality. As for (dungeon with lights) ambiance, well, it is special. You can, however, sit upstairs at the sushi bar.

Reserverations definitely recommded.

• Visited June 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Intimate - excellent - quality Japanese food with a twist”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Go - you won't be disappointed - be prepared to talk to your neighbour - we worked out our menu choice from seeing what they ordered

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Shame About The Time Slots”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Dinings serves very good Japanese fusion food in a minimalist basement space. The food shows great attention to detail. The Scallops and Chili Black Cod in particular were delicious. In such a small space, the service is brisk and attentive

The real problem is the policy around dining slots. We had the first slot between 6.00 and 7.45 p.m.. The second is between 8.00 and 11.00. In many decades of dining out in London, Paris and New York, I have never felt so hustled and hassled to get a table back. Management really need to look at the timing of their booking slots. If the small size of the establishment means two sittings a night, I would suggest 6.00 to 8.30 and 8.30 to 11.00. We got our food late and two main dishes were served after 7.30. I almost felt that the staff wanted to shove us onto the street with our main course in a doggie bag. Desert was not an option. If you want to eat here, either wait until they change their misguided policy on dining slots, or insist on the 8.00 booking. There is not enough time to eat the food on offer during the first dining slot.

London
“Interesting restaurant with great presentation but expensive”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We have tried to book this restaurant for I have lost count how many times. We were ecstatic when we managed to book it. Two kids in tow and unfortunately we had to sit by the sushi bar on high stool. Great for us but not for the toddler. I was so worried my child will fall off that we ordered haphazardly and quickly and the bill was astronomical. The fish is fresh and some dishes are very beautifully presented. The restaurant is very small and cramped. It is definitely not a restaurant to bring kids. It will either break your wallet (as dishes are small your kids will want to order lots - my teenager did!) Service is really poor here. Again you ordered the drinks and you have to remind them many times. The sushi bar chefs are very skillful and it was a delight to see them in action. However I was losing patience on the service front as we waited for ages for the drinks. It arrived after the food arrived! I would like to go back again with my husband without the kids just to see if it was expensive because we ordered the wrong dishes or whether we will have a more enjoyable experience if we had sit downstairs as upstairs at the sushi bar was extremely cramped and endless queus of people come in and out so it was not ideal overall. The bill was a shock even though we are used to expensive restaurants.