“Extremely tasty food”

Cuisines: African, Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Having been on a business trip went out for dinner having Indian food in mind. There are plenty of Indian restaurants in that street, one of which I had visited during a previous trip. Then I saw this African Gallery Kitchen restaurant. I am very open to new food experiences, changed mind and hopped in. My first impression: What a nice little cosy place. Many african scultpures are hanging on the wall, just 4 small bistro type tables, two tables were taken with 5 guests. And someone working in the back in the kitchen/counter area. It later turned out to be the only staff and owner of the place.

I ordered "Lamb with Dates", spicy rice and a glass of red wine. It turned out that the food was pre-cooked and just heated up in the open kitchen. Did it bother me? No. Is the owner hiding it? No. (Note: It is standard practice in many restaurants and called 'convenience food'. There it is hidden in the kitchen, here it is open and visible.) Some food actually tastes so much better when it had time to rest a day so that the ingredients can 'melt together'.

Anyhow, what counts to me is the taste, not the way it was prepared. And I must say the taste was delicious. Just extraordinary. The spices, the tenderness of the meat, I was so close to licking off the plate. I finished the meal with a tea and, based on the owner's recommendation, chose cardamom flavoured tea. This was the icing on the cake regarding my taste experience. The tea was served with 3 homemade balls of coconut-mango-beetroot(!). These subtle flavours, just great, a perfect mix.

I had the chance to have a personal talk with the owner, an interesting man and worth talking to. He really cares for his guests. I enjoyed the evening at his place. I had the feeling to be invited at his home sharing the food he had prepared for himself for dinner. Very nice when being on a business trip after a hectic day. The complete package worth every pence.

During previous trips I ate very much worse for more money in London and in lousy atmospheres. Compared to the Indian places next door it is not expensive at all. If you want freshly cooked and cheap food you better go to one of these burger food chains. Non-tastiness and and atmoshere to make you leave fast is even included at no cost.

At my next trip I will certainly pass by again.

1  Thank Frank S

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a small cafe style restaurant near Euston serving purportedly African dishes.

Space is limited and seating is cosy. The African theme is emphasised with some tribal masks and motifs.Service was warm and friendly.The menu is limited.

Food was good- starters were nice , main course was an unusual looking and tasting chicken. Dessert and wine was average. I paid around £25 which is not bad but still a bit overpriced for the food and the atmosphere.

While eating I felt there was something missing from the food- I thought for a long time about what it is and then realised that I was missing the flavour of freshly cooked food- Most if not all of the food is pre-prepared and kept in the fridge, which is then re-heated. I have no objections in principle to this and this is the only way small cafe restaurants with limited staff can work- When i visited it was only one person who was chef-waiter-manager all rolled into one ! However I think £25 is a bit too much for that kind of food.

Hence although I enjoyed the food and the experience I don't think I will be returning anytime soon.

1  Thank zorba74
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a number one, you will be swept in love! Dont miss it.

Do you love intimacy and are you a master of being where you are here and now?
Then you should do yourself the honour of experiencing Antonio's delicious vibe, his nourishing food which will give you the kick of culture and gratefulness of life. Antonio is a man with a big heart, a head as the moon, arms to wrap around the world and a smile with all included. My experience visiting his initiative was one with great delicacy. The spice of the African/Carribean touch is just perfect! I want to share with you the happiness I felt stepping inside.

It was this July. I came straight from the airport to London to meet up with a dearest soulmate I hadn't seen for a great deal of time. She took me to Antonio's restaurant-and never will I forget it as this probably is my most phenomenal dining experience! Half a year later, till this day I recall the exotic taste of master Antonio's food and of all the meaningful topics that spread through the room.

In this restaurant it is possible to spread your wings above the roof and hear when the needle hits the ground. A soothing experience awaits you & be sure you wont go home without a smile of satisfaction if you switch off your phone and take in this place's magical scent. Antonio will inspire you. The date I went with I know extremely well, but would love to go back here with newly encounters too. Trough TripAdvisor this place has top reviews-not without reason.

Antonio, next time I'm in Britain-see you for another time of joy. Humbly thank you for this magnificent memory. Love Emma Grace (& Lucie)

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The food was fantastic not to mention the service. A lot of nice and exotic flavours. Strongly recommend this place to everyone looking for a special experience.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived at Euston station with over an hour to spare before our train back home so we did a quick phone search of the area. We had never eaten African food before so on the off chance this place was open (1130am) we called. The door was open but the sign said open at 12. Luckily the owner invited us in and explained he was just getting ready but it wasn't a problem for us to sit down. He told us what food he had available and we ordered the chicken savannah, goat curry and a portion of rice. The food was excellent and the friendly owner witty and charming. We will call again when we are in London in a few week's time.

1  Thank Joniboy