“Great Little Restaurant”

Cuisines: African, Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I visited The African Gallery Kitchen for the second occasion tonight .
Often a second visit to a newly found restaurant can be a bit of a let down. Not so here.
The welcome was personal and genuinely warm.The service attentive and the food was simply delicious. Incidentally, when Anthony learned it was my wife's birthday he gave her a lovely birthday dessert complete with candle and our chorus of Happy Birthday!We will certainly be back for a third time when next in London.

There are newer reviews for African Gallery Kitchen

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I and my friend treated ourselves to this resturant back in September.

It was a Saturday evening, and we made our way down in a cab.

Before booking, I had many reviews,though do also understand, also about your own perception, but reviews can help to give you general idea of something.

I was of impression, African Gallery was in like, an underground type building, dark, smoky, like a *shabeen*.
Not sure what made me think this, but just thought this;-)
Nothing further from truth, a comapct but spacious room, with bright lightneing, and the most BEAUTIFUL African art adorning the walls.

As I and my friend walked in, we looked at each other, and smiled, looked promising.
For starters we had the *dough balls*, small but filling.
For mains I sellted for Salt fish and Ackee with rice..it was different to how I usually have it.
West Indian salt fish and ackee is not as *stewed*, where as, this was more African style, it was interesting and tasty, though would have liked more salt fish in my meal;-)
The rice was well cooked and delicious....my pal had oxtail.of course had to have some.
We shared parts of our meal and an say, his meat was well cooked and tender, just fell off the bone.
The fact the food is heated up in a kitchen type space does not and did not bother either of us,certain styles of cooking do need longer to prep.
A lot of stewing/simmering takes place..so,yes, no issue there, the food presented was fresh and boiling hot.

Our host, was lively, interesting, we had a few conversations over our evening there, though am afraid to say, by the end of our night, the win had caused me to feel..ahem..a lil tipsy, resulting in me maybe not making so much intellectual sense as I would have liked.
A personable Man who you can tell, takes his business VERY serious, and approachs everything to do with African Gallery with pure love.
My review as taken three months to do, as in mean time, have been treating myself to more lovely places, and am now sat down doing all reviews in one sitting.

A is a lovely Man, I will say one thing, not a bad thing, because, he really wants to make sure everyone is having a great time, I did at times feel somewhat ..not sure what, but an intensity,this is not a bad thing, I am an intense soul and get this, I could be wrong, but just a vibe sensed at times.
We had a second serving of our dough balls, so so so so so yummy.
Thanks to A for responding to my pals phone call, as I had lost my phone, but my pal found it for me, I had left it behind in cab upon arriving to African Gallery.
I would very much like to revisit..and will soon...;-)

Thanks A.

The girl with the big hair and lip gloss.;-)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The food is ok but tasty, completely different of what you eat before with some african food. The space is nice but small and the owner becomes your best friend. Overall is a very good experience and I recommend it.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Five of us met here for a meal before a concert - a tiny restaurant (book a table!) serving delicious african food. Simple dishes made with love and top quality ingredients. The rice & peas was superb. Well, everything was superb, including the welcome and service. We will go back.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

The owner was very helpful & friendly & gave me lots of info on the food. My meal was totally different to anything I've had before, really nIce to try something new.

Lovely bijou little place, great W. African decor & music. Visit!