“A true British pub experience.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Hoop and Grapes
Ranked #5,851 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City of London
Australia
“A true British pub experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Whenever I have the good fortune to visit London, I always arrange a re-union and select a pub that is easy for family and friends alike to get to. This pub is only minutes away from the major train stations of Blackfrairs / City Thameslink as well as being nearby to London Understation ("tube") stations. The central location is just one of the many highlights.

As an Australian, this is what you imagine a London pub to be. The ambiance and character of The Hoop and Grapes is indeed why enjoying pints in comfortable surrounds is a rite of passage and a joy to savour. If the landlord could move the entire pub to Sydney he would be a very busy man.

The landlord, Mike, deserves a special mention as he helped me arrange this re-union with professionalism and was eager to make sure it was a memorable day. He graciously offered us (and prepared) the private room on the second floor to accommodate the 40-50 people I had originally invited. Unfortunately, only a dozen people attended. This was rather disappointing, not to mention embarrassing, and I apologised profusely to Mike going as far as to show him the Facebook page for the invitations I had sent out. He was very understanding and brushed it all off whilst remarking that "These things happen, mate". Due to the low number of people that attended, we all decided to remain in the main bar downstairs and not create more work for the staff in cleaning up the private room after we had left it.

The staff also deserve a warm thank you. They were very attentive, friendly and happy to serve. Most of my uncles and cousins are creatures of habit when drinking beer and the staff ensured the pints were quickly refilled whenever they were minutes away from being empty (as per my request). The pints of Guinness at this establishment were easily the freshest I ever tasted during my time in England. My uncles, also lifelong Guinness drinkers, could not have agreed more. The pub also serves the traditional British style ales from Shepherd Neame and well as the modern lager choices such as Asahi.

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what a pint cost here - the current strength of the Australian dollar making this trip to London the best value yet. Having said that, what I can honestly tell you is, I wasn't bothered about it. From memory generally around either side of £4 ($AUD 6) for a pint? Considering the friendly service and the fun my family and I were having, it was the last thing on my mind. Back home some pubs in Sydney are now charging £6 ($AUD 9) and up for a pint of Guinness so you can see why I wasn't keeping track of it.

The food we ate was great and very reasonably priced for London. Almost all of my family had the Steak and Ale pie after all collectively having sampled some of it while my back was turned! At £9.50 ($AUD 14.50), this was a very filling and tasty option. Due to the bulk of my pie being pilfered, I later enjoyed the homemade signature burger - The Smithfield Sizzler - superb.

So if you ever find yourself in a similar situation where you need to arrange a re-union at a London pub, please take my advice and make this your first choice. This has been the most memorable re-union of them all and I have Mike and his wonderful crew to thank for ensuring that.

Needless to say, the venue for the next London re-union has already been chosen.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
L0nd0n2012, Owner at The Hoop and Grapes, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Im so glad that you and the family aha such a great day despite the British Weather !
I look forward to seeing you all again next time , and maybe a few more of the family too.
In the meantime enjoy Oz .
All the best

London, United Kingdom
“Poor roast, OK pub”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had the roast beef and trimmings Sunday lunch here.

Yorkshire pudding: barely risen, gravy: artificial, veg: mushy, potatoes: squidgy, beef: a dried out tragedy, price: £15.10. When I ordered (from the specials board on at 1.30pm on a Sunday with just one other customer in the pub), I was told I'd have to wait and see if the 'chef could do it'! I now understand why it was so quiet.

There didn't appear to be anything wrong with it as a drinking establishment though and it's probably a decent place for a pint. Unfortunately, it's classed as a restaurant here and it is under that classification that I have rated it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
L0nd0n2012, Owner at The Hoop and Grapes, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
HI Adam
thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at The Hoop & Grapes.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal and more so that you did not inform me when asked at the time that you were not happy as i would have taken action immediately to improve your experience.
The price of a roast dinner is £12.50 not £15.10 as mentioned in your review ( this would include the price of your drink also ) , and as the person who served you i certainly did not say that you would have to wait and see if the chef could do the meal you asked for.
Quality control being an important part of the job i had a roast dinner for my own lunch the same day. Whilst admittedly not as good as my own sister in laws magnificent sunday roast , it also bore no resemblance to the email you described either.
I would agree though that The Hoop & Grapes is a pub , not a restaurant and it would be more helpful if listed as such. However i expect we are listed as a restaurant because the first person who reviewed us chose that category , also i do not believe Trip Advisor breaks down categories beyond " Hotel " and " Restaurant " either .
I Hope your next experience is a more positive one
regards
London, England
“Great place for a drink in the fresh air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Hoop and Grapes is a small and cosy pub. Their food isn't particularly great but the bar is well stocked and the staff is friendly. There main floor is quite small, but there is a large courtyard out the back, which opens to yet another larger courtyard. And there is a first floor outdoor terrace as well, so plenty of space to have a drink outside on a nice day. There are additional floors inside the pub as well, which are always quiet. The biggest down side of the Hoop is that the drinks are quite expensive. Expect to pay £4.50 for a pint of lager.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
L0nd0n2012, Owner at The Hoop and Grapes, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of the Hoop & Grapes - im glad you enjoyed your visit and the sun was out for you !
The outside areas will be getting a refurb soon making them even more comfortable for when the bad weather comes back..
We also intend to roll out a new menu later this year so hope to improve the dining experience too
Cheers
Mike ( The Landlord )
P.S. you can get a pit of lager for £3.90 !
St. Helena, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great pub great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Brilliant atmosphere and staff, well worth a visit. Sorry for all the rowdy noise sarah , from steve and the gang.

Visited July 2012
L0nd0n2012, Owner at The Hoop and Grapes, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Hi Stephen
I am glad you had a great time at The Hoop and really appreciate you taking the effort to post a review. I hope you will be back again , though i can see the attraction in living in California !
Have a great time in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing service and atmoshpere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent and the service was fast. Great beers on tap.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
L0nd0n2012, Owner at The Hoop and Grapes, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Hi Shawna
thanks so much for showing your appreciation by posting a review , i am glad you had a good night and hope you will be back in for an other visit soon
mike