“Great reasonably priced Asian food, but VERY loud and not the most comfortable environment.”

Banana Tree Clapham Junction
Ranked #3,095 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: At Banana Tree Restaurants, we offer you an authentic selection of dishes and specialities from the indochina region. Fresh, award winning food from the lemongrass growing countries including Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, & Laotian as well as flavours from the peninsula of Malaysia and Singapore. Come try our fresh new flavours at one of our restaurants today!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I would have given a rating of 3.5 if possible. Visited on a Thursday evening for dinner. The interior has recently been refurbished and it looks great! It's nice to see that there are several separate tables, as well as benches. However, the tables are very close together so we found it crowded, loud and lacking in privacy.

The service was mostly very good. The staff were attentive and friendly, and even came over to fill up our water glasses without having to be asked, which we appreciated a lot. However, I initially asked our waiter to recommend dishes that had no chilli at all. I was absolutely clear that I can't have any chilli whatsoever (an allergy, essentially), not that the flavour just needs to be mild. He then immediately directed me to the chilli pork, as it was "not spicy in his opinion". That's no good for someone with an allergy! However, when I chose what I wanted to order he did go and have a discussion with the chef to check whether it contained chilli, and thankfully it didn't and that was accurate.

The food tasted brilliant, and at a reasonable price point. I had braised pork belly with jasmine steamed rice, and the meat couldn't have been better cooked; it fell apart in the most delicious way, and the different flavours of cinammon, cloves and coconut water in the sauce were yummy. The portion size was perfect for me. My boyfriend chose a noodle (wheat/rice variety) dish called Kway Teow May. He said it was delicious, but the amount was a bit on the small side.

There was one thing that really spoiled our visit to Banana Tree, and that was the volume of the music blasting out of the nearby speaker. It seemed to be nearly as loud as a bar! It is beyond me why, in a restaurant that is already crowded and loud, the staff would choose to blast out music to compound the problem!

My final negative comment is that when the waiter returned with our change after we paid the bill, he automatically deducted the "optional service charge". We would have paid at least part of it, but this is supposed to be our choice, not something forced upon us.

• Visited May 2013

• Greek first
Singapore
“Good for a quick bite”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We popped in here for a quick meal before an appointment. The food is fresh and fast and the service is good. Cocktails were also good. Food wasn't especially outstanding and a little too 'fried' but good for a quick meal.

Visited March 2013
london
“From the high ratings I think its now going downhill.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Service was very bad, had to be reminded about drinks, got a dish wrong and items missed off the plate. Was a sunday eve - not busy.
Food wise, it lacked the flavour I expected form the reviews below and as such reduced the the cost from being 'well priced' for good food to over priced for average food.
Get the same quality food at less price at the Pepper Tree at clapham common.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This place is good for a casual, informal meal. The food is excellent and the service speedy.
I can get a little noisy as like a lot of Asian style canteens you are sharing benches with others.

Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Asian Meets Thai - Delicious!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited Banana Leaf for an informal supper - we did not book and we were shown immediately to a suitable table for 3 of us.

We ordered some starters as one of our party was delayed. The Chicken Satay, along with the Tamarind wings, Noang Meatballs and Crisp Dough duly arrived promptly - all were excellent and even for chilly - hollicks like us these are spicy, but delicious.

The Crispy Dough is just hollow batter strips that you dip in a spicy dip - good; but probably would not choose again, being critical.

We did a family sharing of main courses and ordered the Egg Rice, Pak Choy greens, Prawn Pad Thai,and Lime Chicken, enough for 3 of us and all really delicious. We washed this down with 4 beers Tsing Tao and two Cokes and the bill was £69.74.

The waitress, who was from Mongolia was very friendly, efficient, quick in a good way and attentive and we all loved it.

Arrived at 7:15 PM and finished about 1 hour later.

Not perhaps the most salubrious of decors and the hard wooden bench we sat on was not for lingering or romantic dinners. On the other hand the food was great, good quality and as my daughter said this is how Waggamama's should be,,, of which I'm not a fan, but certainly, I can see what she means.

Highly recommended: if you like Asian spicy, you will love this.

• Visited October 2012