“And the pasta's great too!”

Gourmet Pizza - Gabriel's Wharf
Ranked #3,094 of 23,995 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: For award-winning Italian-style pizzas with Thameside views, it doesn���t get much better than the Gourmet Pizza Company restaurant in London���s Gabriel���s Wharf, not far from Waterloo Station. This family-friendly venue is nestled amongst the local boutiques and design studios and is popular with an arty, unpretentious crowd who love the river views and the villagey vibe. With heated al fresco seating, Cape Cod-style dining room and buzzy South Bank vibe, the Gourmet Pizza Company is popular with pizza lovers and people-watchers all year round. The hearty and creative pizza menu includes favourites such as the Californian vegetable pizza, the beetroot and blue cheese pizza with chilli oil, and the chicken and spinach pizza. Salads are a fine accompaniment to the main gig. The wines are affordable and the waitstaff are quick on their feet.
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We've used this consistently now for all sorts of occasions - including a large family get-together which they managed really well. Service is always very good, prompt and friendly. It is a busy and buzzy place which is very convenient for National Theatre, Tate Modern and the Globe. If you are lucky you can get a place on the verandah overlooking the Thames and watch the people going by. Inside or out, this place has a relaxed atmosphere reminiscent of a cafe on the Continent.
Food has always been very good. Pizzas are fresh, with fresh ingredients, and the crusts are just the right thickness. The pasta is also very good and cooked just right. Their sauces have a clear flavour rather than that gloopiness which you sometimes get. Side salads are generous. It is worth ordering some olives to nibbles while the main course is cooked: the green olives with stones in are much to be commended. It is worth ordering the House Wine, as both the red and the white are excellent and very good value; this saves the bother of fussing with the wine list as well.
Only slight concern are the puddings which are a little disappointing - the tiramisu is more like a cake for instance - though the ice cream is good. We usually stick to olives, a main course with side salad and a coffee. The coffee is good, strong with a rich flavour.
Bearing in mind this is London, and a prime position, this place gives excellent value and has never let us down.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I came here with my wife, her cousin and his wife and two young children on New Year's Eve for a good meal and proximity to the fireworks on London's South Bank with views over the Thames. What was great about Gourmet Pizza was they had their usual menu instead of some over priced and mass produced 'special' New Year's menu.

Considering that it was an expectedly busy evening I was impressed with how well organised the staff was and how punctually we were taken to our table. Browsing through the menu it was also obvious that the chef is not scared of experimenting. I decided to go for the pizza called Chicago, and I quite enjoyed the mix of minced beef, barbecue sauce, roasted red onions, mozzarella and cheddar cheese and also tomato sauce. To drink I enjoyed a glass of Malbec, and we also enjoyed a glass of Prosecco to celebrate the entry into 2014.

A big thank you to the staff for looking after us so well and to the chef and cooks for maintaing excellent food quality on a busy and enjoyable evening!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is such a great place to eat, you see everything from couples through to large family groups here & the staff serve everyone very well. I was there at lunch and we arrived early which is always a good idea as it does always seem to get very busy.

The staff are very friendly & the service always seems excellent which matches the food! The pizzas are just great, about 12 inches across and always lovely & fresh.

The prices for beer, wine & pizza are all good value. Definitely worth the visit (but get there early!)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had fond memories of this place from it's early years when I worked nearby on the Southbank in the late 1980's and 1990's. I recall fantastic , tasty large pizzas and a great atmosphere.
I returned recently when I found myself staying nearby on business and was disappointed. I have been to many a Pizza Express in the last 10 years that are just as good or better so this place had lost all it's magic and is simply another restaurant on the river front.
Startes were uninspiring and the main event, the pizza's were smaller than I rememeber or expected, lacked toppings and flavour and were really very average.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I know this place well having worked next door for years. Not been back for years and it's just as good as always. Great service and good food. We walked in at 12:30 had we left it 10 more minutes we'd have had to wait, timing is crucial. Becca has Lasagne. I had spicy sausage. They dons advertise a children's menus but the do children's portions. Our girls all has Pizza and cleared their plates. Great value £12 a head with desert but no drinks only wAter. Highly recommended.