“Absolute perfection!”
Review of Hereford Road

Hereford Road
Reserve with OpenTable
Hereford Road is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,679 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Transit: Queensway, Royal Oak, Bayswater, Nottinghill Gate
“Absolute perfection!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked this restaurant after reading about it in the "Eat London" book. Four of us went along last night and we all really loved the food.

The potted crab was so delicious and the eel was absolutely spot on. For main courses we had mackerel, lemon sole, kidneys and quail - every dish was brilliant. The dessert selection was one of the best selections we've had in a long time. The trifle was particularly amazing - just like my Granny used to make with just the right amount of boozy sherry.

We all loved the layout of the restaurant. The tables are spaced perfectly and the general outlook is wonderful.

We will be recommending this beautiful restaurant to all our friends and we shall definitely return.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
“Nice Local Bistro”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Went for late lunch on a Saturday. Service was friendly and efficient. Atmosphere is laid back and comfortable. Sat in one of the large booths at the back of the restaurant where a large skylight lets in plenty of natural light -- very pleasant space. For starters, had the cold roast duck breast and pickles which was good but not great and two portions of the globe artichoke and vinaigrette which was absolutely scrumptious! For mains, had the Guinea fowl, peas and pea shoots and the Plaice with cucumber, kohlrabi and samphire, both dishes being quite good. For dessert, had the Berry sherry trifle and the Chocolate tart and creme fraiche, both allowing us to become members of the clean plate club. All in all, an enjoyable lunch. Nice wine list as well. Overall, I had the feeling that the chef was almost "on" but was missing truly memorable dishes by just a bit. Will go back again to see how the food develops over time. In sum, this is a good restaurant that could move to excellence with a little more work in the kitchen.

Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our friend booked this restaurant during a recent trip to London. We are thrilled he did! Upon entering the restaurant the open kitchen really wows the senses and we loved the look of a slow cooked shoulder of venison with carrots. Starters we had the ham hock salad, mackerel and sardines. All were delicious. For mains we had to try the venison - melt in the mouth meat and a braising broth that was beautifully balanced for the meat. Wine list is very good and the sommelier was a lot of fun. Took time to chat about wines and his homeland of Portugal. A very enjoyable night and our favourite dining experience in London. Quite reasonably priced as well.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“British cooking at its best.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I must admit I was looking forward to eating at this Notting Hill restaurant after watching Simon Hopkinson's programme on TV and it did not disappoint
We were warmly welcomed and almost straight away the bread and water jug arrived. Service was friendly ,professional, helpful and unobtrusive throughout the meal.
Our starters were great- Calves Brains with tartare sauce, the famous artichoke, lovely cods roes on toast, sweetbreads with french beans and smoked eel were greedliy shared.
Main courses were excellent too with unusual combinations really working - Lemon sole with roast cauliflower for example. My son's Guinea Fowl - often dry - was about the best I have tasted - thin crispy skin and lovely moist meat. Sides were not really necessary but we tried all three - the cabbage was great and the salad really tasty and beautifully dressed. We would have loved to have had dessert but we were a bit full(next time no sides).. Wine list was shortish but well priced and overall the meal represented excellent value . We will definitely return for the desserts......

“Exemplary bistro cooking”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The food looks simple here but that's because things done right often look simple but there was skill and exactitude in all we ate here. My smoked mackerel starter was combined with an assertive but not overpowering horseradish dressing and the onglet that followed was probably the tenderest I've ever eaten. An elderflower and gooseberry jelly served with ice cream was lovely with the elderflower standing up well to the acidity of the gooseberry.

If I was forced to be critical I'd say that the wilted chard that accompanied the beef was not quite to my taste but then I'm not a great fan of chard (although my wife torments me by growing it on her allotment). I thought the coffee had a slightly muddy taste and but these are most minor criticisms. The restaurant is very reasonably priced and the service efficient and friendly. It's a lovely place and it deserves to do well.