“Just gets better and better.”

Theo Randall at the InterContinental
Ranked #639 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Theo Randall's passion for simple, rustic Italian fare took him from Chez Panisse in California to Head Chef and Partner at The River Café. In 2006, Theo brought this experience to the prestigious address of No 1, Park Lane when he opened Theo Randall at the InterContinental. His unwavering dedication has earned him the respect of his peers, many industry accolades and awards, and a loyal following of diners. The restaurant continues to exemplify Theo's signature style of showcasing the best of Italian cuisine in a buzzing restaurant setting. The daily changing menu is inspired by his regular trips to Italy and dictated by the best seasonal ingredients available from the market every day. Theo has personally overseen the extensive wine list that features 90% Italian varietals, including a selection of Grappas. The spacious dining room offers views onto the theatre of the chefs in action and the stylish lounge bar presents informal counter-top dining for lunch or dinner, as well as an extensive drinks menu. Since its launch in 2006, Theo Randall at the InterContinental has won numerous awards, including Best Italian Restaurant of The Year from the London Restaurant Awards. The restaurant was a key contributing factor behind the accolade of Best Hotel in the UK for Food, from Condé Nast Traveller and it continues to be recognised by the Sunday Times Food List, the National Restaurant Awards and The London Lifestyle Awards.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Simply put, this is the best Italian food you could ever wish to eat. The restaurant inside the Intercontinental Hotel on Park Lane but it doesn't have that overpowering stuffy feel you might expect. On the contrary, the welcome is smiling and enthusiastic. The service is flawless but relaxed. The staff are friendly, chatty and very knowledgable about every dish. Theo Randall is invariably cooking and can often be found chatting to diners (us included!) This time I ate pigeon for the first time - delicious -and we had a fantastic dessert selection to finish off the meal. Along with Tom Kerridge and Paul Ainsworth , Theo Randall is cooking some of our favourite food. His restaurant is excellent and is worth a visit if you're in London.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Loved it - food was divine. We had a lunch time special offer with a glass of Prosecco - well worth the money. Design of restaurant was interesting with a great menu.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As a visitor from a country with a relatively weaker currency than the pound, this is a highly expensive food option. That said, our meal was superb. I had been hankering after Dover sole, and was delighted to see it on the menu here. It was excellent, as were all the other choices. Service was efficient and friendly. Recommended.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have never been disappointed with the food at Theo Randall. It is high class Italian cuisine with inventive touches and modern innovations but the food retains a traditional feel. At the last visit for a post-theatre dinner I enjoyed the scallops (among the best I have eaten) and calf's liver while my companion had the Devonshire crab and pasta stuffed with veal. All were excellent and healthy portions. The service was most attentive with the wine refills coming at just the right time. This is not a cheap place to eat but in restaurants you get what you pay for and this is worth the extra.

I have my usual moan about the price of the wine. I think most people go to a restaurant for the food not the wine. Yet so often it seems that you are expected to pay as much for a bottle of wine as you would for a three course meal. This is disproportionate but I doubt if I will become teetotal.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was very excited about eating here during a weekend visit to London as I've always enjoyed watching Theo on tv, his book and his work with Pizza Express. Granted it was Valentine's Day and the restaurant was very busy but the whole experience was terribly disappointing after all the hype and the great reviews on here.

We arrived to take our table, having booked for 3 (including a child). We asked to be moved from the original seating which was sofa style very close to another couple and got moved to another area of the restaurant. Unfortunately this seemed to be a rather forgotten spot and we weren't at all sure who waiting on our table as there were lots of staff whizzing around (not making any eye contact or really taking charge.)

Having been given menus, we sat and waited on someone taking a drinks order. Eventually we called a waiter over to take our order. And we waited again...before we chased them up as I think they had been completely forgotten about.

I noticed there was a 5 course tasting menu as an option but this was neither offered nor explained to us and, given the amount of time that everything had taken so far, I thought it best we stick to the main menu.

The starters were delicious and nicely presented and we enjoyed these with the aperitifs that had finally arrived. However, another lengthy wait ensued during which we managed to chase down a waiter to order some wine, before the mains arrived, missing one of the side dishes we'd ordered. We decided not to bother chasing this up as it was likely we'd have finished before it arrived.

My lobster pasta dish was nice, but nothing outstanding - it didn't live up to its description and could have been warmer but there was no-one around to ask. The others were delighted with their meals although the mashed potato side was swimming in olive oil to the point that it looked very unappetising and quite unpleasant. I could almost feel it coating my arteries when I sampled it.

One of the waiting staff asked if we'd enjoyed our meal and when we explained what had happened, kindly offered pudding to compensate for the slip ups and we were served an ice-cream, Vin Santo and a couple of coffees which we accepted.

Not the point for me really, I would much rather have enjoyed a flawless service/meal and, for a restaurant of this supposed calibre in a 5 star hotel, I thought it was very poor. I understand Theo wasn't in the kitchen that night so hope that he runs a tighter ship than was evident to us during our disappointing visit.