“Great little hidden gem”
Review of Kenza Restaurant

Kenza Restaurant
Ranked #2,913 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: Liverpool Street Station. Central, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan and Circle lines as well as National Rail Station. Exit Liverpool St. Station on to Bishopsgate. Cross over the main road and walk down New Street or Devonshire Row which leads into Devonshire Square.
Description: Dripping with rich fabrics, cushions, carved tables and exotic charm, our venue fuses the styles of the Middle East and Maghreb, complete with the seductive air of incense and rose petals. The food is an exercise in contrasts; subtle scents, complex spicing and traditional ingredients used in innovative ways. Our menus are created for sharing, brought to the table in a continuous flow which enables you and your guests to truly enjoy this dining experience in the most exotic and sumptuous surroundings. We offer unique and adventurous cocktail menus and a specialist wine list to perfectly compliment our cuisine. You can relax in our lounges by day or let your hair down at night. with the bar in full swing you can party until dawn. Whether you are celebrating a birthday, a corporate event.
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Great little hidden gem”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This restaurant may be a little difficult to find, but make your way here after seeing their website. This cuisine is North African (familiar to most people who have had Moroccan, Lebanese or Turkish food). The decor is lavish, can't describe it as North African, it is a blend of that and Middle Eastern, but quite tasty. The food is plentiful (choose any preset option on the menu) and very tasty and filling.

Drinks are good, so are the cocktails.

The entertainment is excellent and the belly-dancing seems very authentic and not tacky at all - they waltz by twice in the evening, around 7-7.30 and 9-9.30 and it is a laugh for that time as they try and get people up one by one to learn some steps and/or dance with them. It is tasteful and I have been twice - they are all very stunning.

The value is great - the bill is very reasonable.

4 Thank globetrottheworld

Great Yarmouth
“The atmosphere was great and live music with belly dancers!”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I ate here last night with 3 of my friends and the food was fantastic. We had the meat mezze and this was 3 courses and there was all sorts of different dishes. First came pitta bread, lots of dips, chicken and lamb parcels. Then out came, steak, lamb and chicken all on a silver platter with rice, chilli and garlic dip, for dessert there was turkish delight, fresh fruit and pastrys and they also brought you peppermint tea. I had a Tastecard with me, that I had applied for on line and you get 30 days free and I only wanted it for this meal and we saved £54 using this, you get 50% off all food. If you get a Tastecard , you do have to book before hand and mention you have one. Once we had finished the music was turned up loud and lots of belly dancers came out. It was a great evening and 5 minutes from Liverpool Street Station, which is why we booked it. The service charge is 10% and is on the bill, but the service was great, they poured your wine all the time and the food was exceptional. They also serve cocktails and have a cocktail bar. I would note that you do have to go down alot of windy stairs as the restaurant is in a like cellar and would be no good if you are disabled. Also the toilets are spotless and I noticed they also do lunchtime specials. Would go again for sure.

2 Thank Jayne B
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“I went last night with two other friends...”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I went last night with two other friends on a 50% off deal. From the beginning I concur with what others say below, the atmosphere is great and entirely different from the usual suspects available in this area of the city. Rich terracotta walls, beads, brass and fabrics. Incense as you come to the bottom of spiral sand coloured stairs and roses and floating candles when you open the door. This is all after a few brass lamps with tea lights and a heavy looking wooden door at the end of a ‘red carpet’. Once inside, belly dancers appeared around 9pm and people started to get up and dance with them – think lecherous, over confident investment bankers and secretaries who clearly drank too much before they arrived. It was entertaining and if you're on a first date with someone it certainly provides a talking point.
The negatives are that the place is hugely overpriced. I regularly eat and cook arabic food. This overpriced theme appears here and there in arabic food places and the argument is often because the food is fairly labour intensive and the ingredients are often not in season and not native to the UK in any event. However at Kenza this argument carries little weight as you are clearly paying for atmosphere and not food. This defeats the purpose of a restaurant in my view where the atmosphere should be secondary to the food; if you feel differently you may find it cheaper to eat at the Rainforest Cafe.
We were given crudites as we sat down. We ordered the mezze at £35 a head each (pre 50% cull) and enjoyed it but I am glad that I was on the 50% deal or else I would have really worried as to where the money went. This mezze mix included 5 different starters, pitta bread which kept being refilled and assorted dips. For mains we had baby chicken, mixed grill of lamb and chicken and a salmon dish on which we remarked that we're glad we had the other stuff there as it paled in comparison to the other mains – tasty but not astonishing. The desserts arrived in a brass, high tea like tower (think the Ritz, Browns) which included an assortment of fruit, turkish delight, pistachios and a few baklava. There was also great ceremony as our waiter poured hot sweetened water into glasses with a scattering of mint leaves. The drinks are again overpriced I think and the service charge was as large as our drinks bill (we had 2 GTs, 2 bottled beers and 1 diet coke between three). This particularly bothered me as the service was kind but it is easier to crash a wedding than to make eye contact with the waiters. It was fairly busy in our section I'll give them that AND they had to negotiate their way around the voluptuous dancers.
Would I go back again? Debatable. I would go on the 50% off. I think there are a lot of other places which surpass this place in terms of food – and in terms of arabic food. The atmosphere is great but if you have been to something like Buddha Bar then you'd probably seen it before and on a bigger scale. I won't go back in a hurry but it was certainly a fun thing to do on a Thursday night.

3 Thank lcollens
“I concur entirely with the previous two reviews.”
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Great decor. That is the only good thing that can be said about this place. Overpriced, average food from a pretty limited menu. We were sat in very poor seats, which meant we couldn't hear each other when the (very, very loud and never-ending) belly-dancing music came on. When we asked to be moved we were refused. We also noticed the heavy service-charge they automatically added and decided, in view of the pretty unremarkable food and/or service, to just leave an amount we felt justifiable. The waiter practically ran after us out the restaurant to tell us we hadn't left the full amount - we explained it should be an option to leave a service charge and that we had chosen to leave slightly less than they'd put on. End of story! We won't be going back, so really didn't care! As a previous reviewer has commented, there are better places at better prices, which are also very nearby to this particular restaurant.

5 Thank Suzxq
London
“Extremely Poor... Waste of time and money...”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

beautifull scenary a very bright and colourfull environment... However we were not looking for an art exhibition with the price we were paying...

kebabs were showered in salt they arrived cold and the meat did not seem fresh... the portions of their set menu was the equivelant to kids portions...

The staff require intense customer service training... The majority were very arrogant and rude... not recommended for large groups as they were unable to host and provide good quality food let alone a satisfactory level of customer satisfaction...

Definately a first and last time restaurant...

4 Thank Outgoing_Socialite