“Native Texan had to try this place out ...”
Review of Texas Embassy Cantina - CLOSED

Texas Embassy Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Transit: Underground: Charing Cross, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square
Description: Set in an impressive Georgian building next to such neighbors as The National Gallery and Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square you can find London’s best and friendliest Tex-Mex restaurant. Once inside the restaurant you will find two floors, each with it’s own bar. On the ground floor you enter into a Mexican village at fiesta time with festival lights and sombreros giving that party atmosphere. There is also in view the open planned kitchen area where you can see the chefs preparing your meal to order. Whilst on the first floor you step into our 1800’s saloon, with a Texas Long Bar décor, thereby combining the best of both sides of the border. The food is traditional Tex-Mex but a well thought out menu with specialties such as Southern Fried Chicken, Fajitas and Enchiladas along with a large selection of great steaks. Desserts include Strawberry Margarita Cheesecake, Key Lime Pie and of course Sizzling Apple Pie – This means that you are always spoilt for choice.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Goodness, if it weren't for the home away from home feeling with all the Texas memorabilia everywhere, this place wouldn't fare too well in the authentic Lone Star State. My "tex mex" dish (I'm sorry but London can't do TexMex no matter where you go) was overly spiced, the rice was dry and stale, and the only saving grace to my meal was my Dos XX. Luckily, my british fiance enjoyed his traditional chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes. Wish I would have gone for the country favorites instead of what I got.

I was looking forward to giving this place another go next time around in London but unfortunately, as I've read, I suppose this place didn't get enough tourism to pull it through. Oh well!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The food was like a bite of home away from home. I enjoyed it, but not as much as my husband. He was so happy to have Dr. Pepper in a fountain drink that he smiled the whole time. I had a decent margarita and some fairly good tex-mex. Better than what I expected from a restaurant in London. If you are an American away from home, I'd reccomend giving this place a try.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were so sorry to see that I beloved Texas Embassy Cantina had gone out of business on since Monday June 11th 2012.

It will begreatly missed by us and a know a lot of other people both locals and visitors alike, being lucky enough to live only a few miles from it we visited the place at least once a week for the last 7/8 years.

Everything about it was superb from the moment you walked in the door it was wlays a fantastic experiance.

Over the time we visited we got to know most of the staff as friends and we wish them all luck in whatever they do from now on and I am sure that they will miss the Embassy as much as we will.

It will take a lot for all the other more modern and commercial so called "Tex Mex" style restaraunts to every match up to the quailty of the service food and drink that this place offered.

Being a Londoner but having a business in New Mexico (u.s) and traveling to and from Houston a lot I know what the food should be like and this was no differant from some of my other favourite places like the Best Western Steakhouse in Albuquerque orr The El Camino In Socorro.

I dont think the Texas Embassy will ever be beaten on it's offerings outside of the United States that I have tried.

I think the people that have made negative remarks to such a extreme like calling the place a tourist trap just dont know what they are talking about !

Maybe they should try some of the other Tex Mex places in London and they would know what a good thing the embassy was.

We will miss you like mad

David and Luke
North London

4  Thank David S
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The food is bland, microwaved stodge, in small portions at touristic prices. I'm guessing the manager is aiming for the passing hungry who are unlikely to ever return. Almost any Tex-Mex restaurant in London is probably better.

My plate for £12 consisted of about £1 of ingredients, a couple of flour wraps, a few bits of meat, and cheese. Some dry tasteless rice, and the worst refried beans ever - a brown, gooey mess that looked like something you wouldn't step in. No sour cream, no guacamole, no nice piquant salsa. In other words without any expensive ingredients.

None of this is offset by the free little basket of tortilla chips, that look and taste like they were refried in deep fat, and a tiny pot of salsa, offered at the beginning of the meal.

I won't be back.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We chose the restaurant due to its location to our hotel in Trafalgar square. The food was good and service quick although the facilities such as the toilets was rather run down and tables close together. We had hoped for something more intimate however I think this was bad judgement on our behalf and seemed like a much more informal dining experience.