“Good value and fairly authentic Chinese”

Four Seasons Chinese Restaurant - Bayswater
Ranked #3,163 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The service is famed for being pretty poor and it was but for some reason that added to the charm. It feels unlike a normal British restaurant as it was mainly Chinese clientele (always a good sign) and the staff scream across the room at each other in Chinese.
The food was good value. We had set meal for 3 which included a fiery soup, duck pancakes, cashew nut chicken, chilli fried beef, rice and Szechuan prawns which was £18 a head.
Will prob go back in the future as was good fun!

1  Thank Rollo1980

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have been here a few times, always on my own, and so have the chance to look at the staff working and the food coming out. I go for the duck and it is still as good as anything else in this price bracket in London, but not what it used to be. My tip is not to order duck and rice at £6 as the duck portion is small and sat on a chines leaf vegetable to make it look bigger; instead order a roast duck portion at £9 and a separate portion of rice. You will get twice the duck this way.

As far as the service goes it is chinese - brusque, functional and efficient.

After the demise of my favourite duck and rice establishment in Macclesfield Street a few years ago, which I had been using since 1981, the Four Seasons has been my choice. If you are from the restaurant and reading this review PLEASE can you stock Amoy Chile sauce!!!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is the best roast duck in London. Period. Worth the long queues outside in the freezing cold, worth sharing a table with a random stranger, worth watching waiters carry buckets of duck down the aisle in the restaurant, worth the poor service. Just go there for the duck, enjoy, and get out quickly! Its that kind of place.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Highly recommended!
I found this pearl not 100m from my place, it is always packed in the evening, service is quick and pleasant, the food is *great* Chinese with some Sing dishes (I think :P )
I had Crab & corn soup, bowl of rice and crispy beef, all very good, for 16.5 GBP excluding tip.
Will definitely go back for more!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I would visit Four Seasons Restaurant each time I am in London but during this recent trip in December 2012, it will be my last. I come here faithfully for their roast duck but I find that the standard has dropped quite a bit. Other dishes are also not great. The only thing that has remained consistent is the poor and at times rude service. Even with table reservation, I still had to wait for a table to be available - not much of an advantage over the long queue of people without reservation.

Before my trip, I was advised by friends to give Four Seasons a miss and head for Goldmine Restaurant instead which is just a few shops down the road. I was told that the roast duck at Goldmine beats that at Four Seasons. Well, proof is in the eating so I tried. I am now a Goldmine convert.