“Andaz Liverpool Street - mixed review”

Andaz London Liverpool Street
Ranked #125 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My daughter had booked a theatre break at this hotel for myself and a friend as a Christmas present, and I had booked an extra night. We arrived early at the hotel as we were going to a matnee performance. We were delighted by the host welcome at this beautiful hotel. Unfortunately, although we were advised that our room was ready, it hadn't been prepared properly and was made up as a double rather than two singles, but this was corrected whilst we were at the theatre. Unfortunately, things started going downhill from then onwards. It took over 20 minutes for room service to deliver a glass of milk and a hot chocolate (it was at a very quiet time of night). Breakfast was not very nice - not disimilar to a roadside cafe, bacon was cold, eggs were rubbery etc. only the coffee was great. On returning to the hotel late afternoon on day 2, we found that the room had not been serviced at all, and had to phone to Reception, who apologised and agreed to send someone up at an agreed time when we wouldn't be there, but housekeeping turned up 15 minutes later whilst we were getting ready to go out. Eventually, we pursuaded them to come back after 6 p.m. I know it was New Years Day but the only restaurant open was in the bar - where we had eaten the night before - and the quality of food was certainly not the same as that on the previous night. A small niggle was that I had to phone a car rental company three times to confirm my booking, and it was a freephone number, but the hotel charged £2 for each call. This is a beautiful hotel, and has a great lounge where you can sample the various 'tastes of Andaz'. The door staff and hosts were extremely welcoming and informative so it was so sad that they have been let down by other aspects of the hotel. Strangely, you can only give on-line feedback to Hyatt if you have a Gold Pass, or the facility to 'sign in', so it appears that Hyatt aren't really interested in receiving feedback from guests! I've stopped in various hotels across the world but never before at a Hyatt. Would I stay at one again? I'm not sure.

Room Tip: Apparently, some of the rooms have views of 'The Gerkin'. Our room looked out on to an inte...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JL205
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share the comments from your recent stay with us. Whilst this certainly helps us to improve the operation of the hotel, I am very sorry again for the inconveniences you experienced whilst you were with us. As per our email correspondence, all of the feedback you shared was forwarded onto the relevant managers for follow-up with their respective teams. Thank you again for your time and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,376)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Rooms were a good size, especially for London, although all the windows faced the inside of the hotel so you really couldn't tell the weather and how to dress appropriately. Staff were all young and helpful. A couple of strange things about the hotel - the plumbing system is quite loud and there were times when you couldn't flush the toilets (although they flushed several minutes later) because of the pressure water flow system, and also the section of the hotel that we were in required either walking down the stairs to the breakfast restaurant (not something my almost 80 year old mother appreciated) or taking the elevators and then going outside and back into the restaurant.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BenDC
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful review, we really appreciate your time. In relation to the windows, we do have a large number of rooms which are also outside facing so the next time you are planning to stay with us this can certainly be requested. Apologies for any disturbance caused by the plumbing. We do use a system which is slightly louder in some areas but uses approximately 80% less water than a regular system. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back to Andaz Liverpool Street soon. Best wishes for the new year, Arnaud.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Excellent location, great style and design, and the service you may expect from the best Hyatt places: you cannot find a better mix! Rooms are spacious and excellent beds, furniture are designer's and everything is smooth and pleasant. Very recommended

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mau-travel
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for the great feedback following your December stay with us. It was great to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay so thank you for sharing and for the recommendation, it is very much appreciated. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to Andaz again on your next London visit. Best wishes, Arnaud.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Location: Not exactly central, but literally only a 10 - 15 minute tube stop from everywhere you need to be in London.

Property: WOW! this place is super cool and nice. I've stayed at a lot of the park, grand, and higher-end waldorf brands and I have to admit. This location is really unique and chic. My wife and I spent so much time wandering and taking photos of the place.

Service: This is the most important party. The hotel goes way out of their way to help you with all of your needs. Everyday they sat with us to help us personally plan out our days. They sent us great cookies and snack and always anticipated our needs. Kudos to the team! because of their service, we recommended this place to three friends already. That's a great example of good service that brings more business in! I've only seen this kind of personal and welcoming service at a few other locations in Asia. The reason I bring this up, is sometimes with the fancy chic places you get a little bit of a distant feeling from the staff. Like when you go to those hip-trendy restaurant but the service is terrible. We'lll that's not the case here. You will be always greeted by name whenever you are near by most of the staff and they will often ask how to help make your trip even better!

Also - the croissants are great at 1901. Freshly baked and super yummy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smashadmns

Thank you so much for sharing such a fantastic review of your recent stay with us at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am so pleased that you really enjoyed the location, there are certainly a lot of hidden gems to be found in East London. Most importantly though, I was really thrilled to read the amazing feedback you had from your interactions with our team. They do such a great job for us and I will certainly share your comments with them. We hope to welcome you back to Andaz again soon and best wishes for the new year! Arnaud.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Andaz is one of my favourite hotel chains. I benchmark my stay here to the Andaz in New York, which is an amazing hotel, so the expectations were very high. Overall, a good hotel, handy location for some purposes, decent staff and service but overall felt a bit below my very high expectations.

What I liked:
- stylish, modern hotel and comfortable rooms
- very convenient for London City purposes, and close to Liverpool St station
- free non-alcoholic mini bar plus snacks and coffee in the lobby, as is typical of Andaz hotels
- nice checkin - quick, efficient and nice to get a welcome drinks
- decent rate for London

What I didn't like:
- noisy bathrooms (you can also hear clearly the plumbing from other rooms)
- my view was very average but I don't think you would stay here for the view anyway
- probably because I compare to the US manner in New York's Andaz, I did find the staff here a little bit indifferent, though not necessarily unhelpful
- felt a bit detached to the rest of the restaurants in the building
- I really liked the free wine in the lobby in other Andaz I have stayed at, but didn't seem to be available here. Staff only mentioned free coffee and waters/juices when asked.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for the feedback following your stay with us last month. Whilst I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed the location and the hotel itself, I am sorry that your time with us did not quite meet your expectations based on previous Andaz stays. I apologise for any disturbance caused by the flush system, it is eco-friendly using 80% less water than a regular system but is slightly louder. With reference to the restaurants, whilst all very much part of the hotel, they do have their own individual identities to provide varied experiences for both in-house and external guests. I have of course forwarded your comments through to the relevant teams for their follow-up and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again to show you the high level of service our guests have come to expect when staying with us in London. Best wishes, Arnaud.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I,ve just came back from London ,the hotel was perfect.the location excellent ,the staff was more than helpfull,and the room nice and comfortable.the only think to say as a complain is that breakfast is very expensive and I never try it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for the great comments following your recent stay at Andaz Liverpool Street. We really appreciate receiving such positive feedback on both the location and the hotel itself, but most importantly the helpfulness you experienced from our team. In relation to breakfast I am sorry you did not have a chance to try it. In terms of pricing the buffet breakfast in 1901 is very similar to that of other 5 star London hotels, however, as an alternative we do also offer an al a carte breakfast menu in Eastway. We hope to welcome you and your family again soon. Best wishes, Arnaud.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Really welcome ambience as you enter the hotel and very friendly way of checking in, as you have a sit and a welcome drink! Everyone is extremelly helpful and the comp drinks and snacks at the Lobby really appreciated! The rooms are very modern and there is complimentary wi fi, local phonecalls and non alcoholic beverages from the mini bar!!!!
The location is also very convenient as the hotel is adjacent to Liverpool st station which means easy transportation to almost everywhere and direct service to Stansted airport. If you want to avoid the tube to central London, there is always bus 23, that passes by every important place and runs 24/7!!!! It's also within walking distance to Spitafield market for unique shopping! I would recommend this hotel for travelers either for business or pleasure!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 13_Eleni

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such great comments from your recent stay with us at Andaz Liverpool Street. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and in particular the great feedback on the team and service they provide. I will be sure to share this review with them. We hope to welcome you again soon. Best wishes for the new year, Arnaud.