“Fantastic food. A rare find!”
Review of The Green Papaya

The Green Papaya
Ranked #5,161 of 23,015 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food. A rare find!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have no connection to this establishment and this is a genuine review from a genuinely satisfied customer. Myself and friends chose to dine here completely by chance, being strangers to the area. I'm not a huge fan of Thai and Chinese food, so was a little wary but we ordered starters and mains randomly from the menu as the restaurant seemed busy and the food attractively-presented. I'm writing this review because every dish that the 4 of us ordered was truly fantastic, cooked fresh to order and with a feast of new flavours. We were all bowled over by how brilliant the food was and for me, Vietnamese food, savoury and tangy and nothing like it's overly-sweet Thai near-neighbour, is a revelation! Gorgeous, tasty, freshly cooked food, very reasonably priced and very good value for money. If only there were any restaurants near where I live that I could say this about. I urge you to give this place a try if you are in the neighbourhood. Possibly the only reason to make a visit to Hackney worthwhile!

• Visited February 2013

“I want to live next door to Green Papa instead of 60 miles away!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I love Vietnamese food, so am probably quite easily pleased, but happened across Green Papaya whilst in Hackney with fussier friends (none of us local) & can only say: Wow!

All four of us were absolutely blown away by every dish we ordered...delicious flavours & textures, good sized portions, very reasonable prices, every mouthful a taste sensation - great beer too!

The service was efficient, they seated us quite quickly even though we hadn't booked, it was Saturday night & they were pretty mobbed with locals (while nearby restaurants stood empty, one of the things that attracted us...) & the atmosphere buzzy.
Its not posh - the decor is ok, cafe style, the basement loos are a bit damp & cold, but what does that matter when the food is SO GOOD?

I'm just sorry I live so far away, & can't go back over & over again till I've sampled everything veggie & fishy on the menu...twice!

If you live anywhere close to this part of London, it's so worth a visit.

Gent
“Honest cooking at honest prices”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

If I was a local, I would definitely frequent this place. Those squid rings with chili and garlic are absolutely yum and make a great appetizer. Bit busy, but friendly place with OK housewine, perfect for those on a budget who still wanna have a tastebuds-challenging meal.
Only minus is that every dish they bring to other tables makes you want to return...oh the choices!

• Visited January 2013
“Good Food at a Good Price”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Green papaya, is a good Vietnamese restaurant that offers good food at a good price. The atmosphere was good, thought the tables are small for a big guy like myself but not small enough to complain. And we had to wait like 10 minutes after we finished to see that they wasn't going to bring us the check so we just got up and went to ask for it. Other than that, was okay considering it was my first time, wouldn't say great food, but descent.

london
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best vietnamese in London”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This restaurant is a great favourite of mine..i just love it..
Fabulous food, great value, and the owner is just great fun.

My favourite dishes are:
- the squid rings with salt n chilli
-the squid with a beautiful dip thats just to die for..
-the smoked tofu rice
-beef with morning glory

oh what a dish.

there are an array of fantastic dishes and ive been to this place now atleast 10 times...trying new things each time but still love my favourites.

This place is great..fresh, and perfect for sampling a unique area of vietnamese food that comes from a village in the rural areas...Totally different from other restaurants in london..

Definitely worth a try :-)

• Visited November 2012