“Freemasons [--] more like”
Review of Freemasons Arms

Freemasons Arms
Ranked #16,779 of 23,877 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set in the wonderful location of Hampstead, The Freemasons Arms is a unique country pub and restaurant that blends rural charm with modern flair. We invite you to dine out in stylish yet welcoming surroundings and sample our seasonal menus, perfectly complimented by an array of cask conditioned ales and fine wines
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Came here for Sunday lunch and was quite taken aback at how poor the overall experience was. They had run out of roast beef by 1pm and then we were informed that the roast pork had also run out. Then when we ordered pork, that had run out too and so we were offered gammon. Then after 40 minutes the waitress came back to our table and told us that beef was back on and asked if we would like to change our orders accordingly. This seemed odd to me and when I asked what would happen to the burger I had (reluctantly) ordered I was informed it wasn't cooked and that my order change wouldn't matter!? Almost immediately the beef appeared and it was a sad affair indeed. Overcooked, grey roast beef with pallid undercooked vegetables and a yorkshire pudding that had become really soggy. It had clearly been sat under a heat lamp in the kitchen for quite some time, a cancelled order perhaps? A simple pint of beer took 20 minutes to materialise and one of the party had to ask 3 times for a glass of wine. For a meal that came in well over £100, it was really rather poor. Then to top it all off, there was no soap in the gents' or the ladies' toilets! For such a wonderful setting in quite such a lovely neighbourhood, this was a really rather disappointing event.

1  Thank Nick B

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Came here two years ago and had to walk out after we waited an hour for the first course which consisted of the most foul tasting food I have ever eaten in any catering establishment.

Being optimistic we tried it yesterday and I am afraid little has changed. The bruschetta was tastless and the main course of salmon was just to grim to eat so I asked the waiter to change it for something that could be made quick as I am a diabetic and needed to eat. Well two miserable grey fish cakes arrived on a plate with no salad no trimming, nothing. They must have been made off chipboard with a fish essence as really smelt really fishy in the bad sense of fishy. My very pregnant niece had the same and guess what, we both spent a long time in the toilet l sat night, different toilets I may add, both of us suffering badly. This place, I would not use the term restaurant, is a disgrace and needs to be shut down before too many people have similar problems.

3  Thank guideman1
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We organised a pub garden in NW London afternoon and this one did not make our list due to poor reviews. It was by accident we stumbled upon this place and it is seriously lovely both inside and out. However, the service was dire. We were told that areas within the pub were closed due to a lack of staff and at that point we decided to search elsewhere for food. I loved both the building and the garden and it would be a great competitor to the Garden Gate which was heaving and a few yards away. Get your act together guys

2  Thank Help999_12
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I went to the Freemason's for a Sunday roast. The ambience of the place is great, a real family feel with smart looking surroundings.

It was a lovely day outside and the pub just beckoned you in - how could we resist, people laughing and eating, what a great way to spend a lazy sunday afternoon.

Both my wife and I had the roast option, chicken and rib of beef respectively, all served with seasonal veg and duck fat roasties. The quality was good, but one problem - ONLY 2 ROAST POTATOES!!!!

All in all, a great place to visit if not for a drink but a spot of lunch - much reccomended

1  Thank Dhalv
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We've been to the Freemasons Arms about a dozen times over the last couple of years and we always enjoy it. We've sat in the dining room, courtyard and bar area. The food is decent, usually have fish and chips, salad or a pasta dish. Oh and the peri peri chicken is pretty tasty. We brought a friend who was visiting from the states last Tuesday and were delighted to find a local game of skittles being played downstairs. The guys in the club were very inviting and even let us have a try. I'd say this is a hidden gem downstairs! There is some truth to the other posts regarding the level of service you receive but it hasn't stopped us from visiting this pub.