“Go for the atmosphere.”

Freemasons Arms
Ranked #16,748 of 23,845 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set in the wonderful location of Hampstead, The Freemasons Arms is a unique country pub and restaurant that blends rural charm with modern flair. We invite you to dine out in stylish yet welcoming surroundings and sample our seasonal menus, perfectly complimented by an array of cask conditioned ales and fine wines
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm surprised at what seems to be a plethora of bad reviews regarding the staff as I found the service to be more than acceptable. My mother and I were seated straight away by a friendly waiter and given the option of a lovely window table. Food was fast and overall enjoyable. However, I was slightly disappointed that the "beer battered cod" had absolutely no taste of beer. My only criticism of the service, although this is terribly minor, is that the waitress did not offer any condiments so we had to call over someone else to bring ketchup, vinegar and the like. (I do believe the waitress got a telling off though so apologises!) Aside from this, staff were attentive and professional.

The main appeal of this pub is the atmosphere. The lighting and decor are just right; perfect for a dinner date or a meal with friends. I will definitely come again.

1  Thank Evelyn R

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I guess you can't expect much else from a heavily modernised gastro pub in Hampstead. Stay away if you want good beer and friendly service. Food is equally unmemorable. Lager is cold.

1  Thank TonyAyk
Reviewed January 13, 2013

First of all this pub is in Hamstead Heath so not cheap.
Atmosphere is very good with comfy seats and would bring anyone here. Busy at 7pm when we were there.
One main course though is expensive for what you get. £9- £22+ 0n the normal menu. Average about £13. Red House wine £4.50+ a glass.
Cheapest bottle I saw was about £16.
We had two pieces of duck on mashed potato and one vegetable with jus [gravy]. Not enough gravy and mashed potatoes without butter [ a bit dry]. £12.95. Large pizza was nice but £12.95. Cannot remember the price of the beefburger.
However I would go again for the comfort and atmosphere.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I should start by admitting that I started drinking in the Freemason's in 1966 as a student, when it was a Charrington pub selling Crown and Toby bitters. I even had my first date with Mrs Lundydog there! And I have returned there periodically over the intervening decades. But there is little left to recognise of the pub I first knew, apart from the location - and the skittle alley still in the basement.

However, we arrived without a reservation for lunch; we were found a table immediately and were served by staff who were helpful and didn't rush us. Sunday roasts were on the average side of very good (strangely there is no intermediate rating for merely "good" on TripAdvisor). Mrs L's house red was OK and my Doom Bar was fine (why is it that I get offered Doom Bar in London and London Pride in Cornwall?). Tap water came without having to be ordered, and coffees were good.

The decor is ok + not intrusive and the flooring, which looks like polished strips of re-cycled oak barrel staves, is interesting. Dog-friendly - which of course it should be, stood on the edge of Hampstead Heath.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Food was better than average pub food. Service was atrocious. We waited long periods for service between courses. We were not seated in the main restaurant dining room, although we made a reservation. Lots of young wait staff moving around, however the restaurant appeared to be suffering from a New Year's Eve hangover.

Has been better on previous visits in the summer.