“Delicious food, good service and excellent value”
Review of Fig & Olive

Fig & Olive
Reserve with OpenTable
Fig & Olive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,580 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I had dinner at Fig and Olive last night and I was very impressed. I am really surprised to read negative reviews. I've eaten at a lot of places in Islington over the last year and this was as good as any of them, particularly for the price.

We had a delicious meal. The menu is fairly simple but done well. Starters are £3.95-£5.95. We had grilled chorizo and scallop brochette (a special) and grilled marinated squid. The brochette was fabulous, the chorizo oozing garlicky, paprika-y oil over two gigantic and juicy scallops. It's a classic combination. I thought the squid was a bit overcooked but it was still nice. Mains are £8.50-£12.50. We had baked cod with olive and sun-dried tomato sauce and mashed potatoes and grilled entrecote with sauté potatoes. The entrecote was good - ordered it rare and it came bleeding, which is how I wanted it - and the cod was fantastic, beautifully cooked and teamed with a delicious sauce. Desserts are basically the cakes in the window. We didn't have much room but we still managed to fit in a mango cheesecake and pecan pie. They were good but probably not up to the same standard as the mains.

The restaurant itself is very pretty. There are lots of cakes in the window as you come in and there is a garden/conservatory area at the back. The walls are antique green, the ceiling white. The space is leafy and light. I would dearly love to see the school café or canteen to which other reviewers have compared it! Service was polite, efficient and very friendly throughout. At the end of our meal we were given two complimentary glasses of limoncello.

I'll be going back soon. For the price, you'd be hard pushed to get a better meal in Islington. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We went once before and loved this place that we figured it would be one of our 'regular' haunts. Sadly it took a while for our return but we have done it! The service is great! The food fantastic! The location is perfect!
As you walk in they keep all the sweets right in the window up front so you can drool and get yourself ready for what will follow your amazing main course.

For me I had tempura king prawns for a starter that were devine! I kept with the seafood theme with a suculent baked salmon and spring veggies. Dessert was a slice of the amaretto cheesecake with crumbled cookies on the top....my mouth is watering as I type this!

We didn't have reservations either time and it wasn't a problem, but you might want to take care of that if you have a group of 6 or more.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I went for a friend's birthday so we were seated at the back at the larger table. I have to say it was far more appealing than the other seats, which felt more like a School Cafe. The place itself is quite small but nice.

The service was very good, attentive and polite. The food and wine itself was ok. I had scallops for starters, which are my absolute favourite, so perhaps that's why I felt rather let down by the presentation and slightly flavourless results. The Shin of Pork for my main was very nice, although the presentation wasn't great. The portions were much larger than what we were expecting for our mains, so I couldn't finish mine but it's nice that they were generous.

For dessert I decided to go for all out ridiculousness and get the caramel profiterole cheesecake, which is definitely worth sampling although its sweetness will certainly stay with you for a while.

As I was with friends and we were situated at the back in a conservatory-style area, I think the general ambience was much nicer than if I had been seated on a smaller table and as the food was nothing amazing I wouldn't rush to go there again but certainly wouldn't complain if someone suggested it.

Overall a worthwhile dining experience but if you can try and get the larger table and definitely indulge in the caramel profiterole cheesecake!

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had a terrible meal today. The food was very average, the service non existent. There are many better options nearby. The waiter asked did we enjoy our food to which we responded it was rather disappointing and he said nothing. It felt like being in a canteen. The Pepper sauce on the steak is out of a packet and the chips were of the frozen variety. we won't be back.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Fig and Oliv is opposite Ottolenghi - it's obviously based onrhe same concept but it doesn't make the grade. It's cheaper, but the tables are crammed together, the quality isn't as good and it's just not as slick. It's busy so it's doing something right, but it doesn't hit the mark for me.