“Hugely disappointing”

Transit: Underground: Wapping
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hugely disappointing”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We booked this restaurant for a friend who was visiting and is a chef. We thought it would be a little different. It turned out to have a pretentious menu that neither our guest or the waiting stff understood. The portion sizes were bizarre, some huge, some tiny. The main course was inconsistent, the shin of beef was a mountain of dry beef with soggy crisps and yet others mains were ok. This is an expensive and pretentious restaurant that needs to simplify and focus on quality rather than ingredients that no ne has heard of.

1 Thank Paulaf119

London, United Kingdom
“Shame on Wapping”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Having been to this amazing building before I chose it to take my American niece for brunch. She lives and works in Beijing as a consultant for contemporary chinese art "Chart".

Instead of relishing the delicious food, and great environment, we spent our time cowering under the wrath of the owner /waitress.

She took huge umbrage at my son asking politely for tomato ketchup to go with his 'Full English', which although it is not something I ever eat, it is a normal request! The owner was so annoyed i tried to lighten the atmosphere by suggesting that maybe the tomato ketchup had been taken off as a result of the Wapping Project being under new management. This innocent remark, based on an article in the Guardian, was like a red rag to a bull. Ms Owner went icy, and snapped out that there had been no change in management. I apologised, and was firmly put in my place - it was the chef who had changed. Did I care? no. The pity was that Ms Owner couldnt leave this mistake alone, and returned twice to our table to heckle the three of us about who owned the building (her). How much did I care? Not at all. So an expensive but delicious brunch - my nieces last outing for this stay was completely ruined by the rancid atmosphere created by the nasty, rude owner and her attitude to her customers.

This place should definitely be avoided at all costs - try to go to a traditional place where owners tend to be friendly.

never again

4 Thank Sarahk8888
Jonny1976
“Once great place that has now hit rock bottom”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I used to love this place. Great location (and still is), and the cooking used to be fantastic and the service convivial. However, the cooking has gone downhill fast, despite the menu being very pricey. Worse, the service over the past two years has gone from good to average to bad to awful. A combination of incompetence and attitude which now really leaves a nasty taste. I am a local and there aren't many good cafes/restaurants in the area. This used to be the jewel in the crown but I won't be going there again.

8 Thank Jonny1976
London
“This used to be an excellent place - but it isn't anymore”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My girlfriend, my family, my friends and I used to love this restaurant in the old hydraulic power station - but those days are gone.

I discovered the restaurant in the power station in 2004, when the chef was still a guy called Cameron or so. very good chef, very imaginative cooking, top-quality. Then this other chef came, no idea what he was called, and he called a sort of modern British style: Fowl, venison, and the like. Still very good.

When we went last moth, it immediately became clear to us that the chef had changed yet again. Whilst in the past we experienced true excellence in the composition of the dishes here, we now saw an almost amateurish "wants to but can't" output of supposedly imaginative food. The chef clearly underwent good training but in our view lacks imagination and skill.

Without going into detail, I would like to conclude by pointing out the following: When we left and the maître asked whether we had enjoyed it, we said that we had the impression that the chef had changed. The Frenchman smiled happily and confirmed our impression. When we then pointed out that, while nothing had been wrong with the food, we found the former chefs (especially Cameron) MUCH better. The maître seems surprised and pointed out that everybody just loves it. Well, we don't - and we explained why, dish by dish. I keep quite (being German I risk no food discussion with a Frenchman) and left it all to my girlfriend from Barcelona. The maître was not to be convinced. We probably have travelled much more and we probably have experienced more high-quality food than he - but so be it.

I shall not return. And I have shared the experience with friends and work colleagues widely. There are much better places to spend you 70 quid now. The time of the power station seems to be over.

No need to go anymore.

• Visited October 2012
9 Thank Falco1968
London, UK
“Amazing place, great food, very good service”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I very nearly canceled my reservation for the Wapping Project after reading the numerous recent bad reviews. I am so glad I didn't! It is the most amazing place I've ever eaten -- a beautiful Victorian hydrolic power station that is just magical (witha very cool art instalation you as well). The service was very good. A very friendly french man greeted us and showed us to our tables and later told us a bit about the plant's history. The waitress was friendly and helpful about the dishes and wine. The food and the wine was delicious. What more could you ask for? It wasn't cheap but it was reasonable for the quality of the food and the sheer beauty of the place. I will definitely go back.

• Visited October 2012