“Worst meal I've ever had!”
Review of The Wapping Project - CLOSED

The Wapping Project
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Transit: Underground: Wapping
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Do not even think of going to this restaurant. The food is terrible and way overpriced. The rack of lamb was served cold and virtually raw. It also smelt off!. 3 of our party ordered it and we all after one mouthful pushed our plates away in disgust. No offer of a reduction in the bill was made even though we told the waitress it was inedible. The gnocchi was ok but portion so small it should have been a starter. The sooner this restaurant closes down the better for Wapping

6  Thank nicky4416

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I took my mother and sister -who were visiting from abroad- to the Wapping Project for a dinner. We were both super excited as we both had a great experience there last year. Oh My God! WHAT HAPPENED!!!? The waitress (who seems to be the same one described by all other reviewers) was UNBELIEVABLY RUDE!!! What is wrong with you woman?! Sour-faced and scowling, she showed us to our table .... Okayyy ... I swallowed the urge then and there to point out to her her attitude problem but decided against it so as not to cause my family any awkward embaressment. Fine.

It took ages for us to have our order taken and for the food to arrive. As the waitress -still scowling- was lazily strolling about the empty restaurant heaving a bored, loud sighhhh every time we tried to attract her attention for something or the other.

Lady ... Why work there if you cannot be bothered?!

FOOD:

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible ... Plain BAD!

The fish I ordered was a tasteless rubbery mass ... The Sardine starter my mother ordered STANK to high heaven ... And the meat dish my husband and sister had was ... Bleeding flesh on a plate!

Seriously!???

The worst part is the fact that our family guests pretended to be enjoying this mess on a plate for our sake and ended up eating everything; While we were desperately trying to find something positive about this regretful experience to justify our previous excitement of inviting them there.

A part of me is still frustrated for not having spoken my mind to that waitress ...

DO NOT GO THERE PEOPLE!

4  Thank ZEeZEe-OCD
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We Love The Wapping Project but have not visited for 3 or 4 years having moved out of London. On a recent trip back my husband and I booked a table and were really looking forward to revisiting a favorite haunt.
They still served the delicious Plantagenet Reisling but the food was both uninspiring and hugely overpriced we thought. My husband had the Pork - £19.00 for what was basically a grilled Pork steak to which we had to add extra vegetables, my brill was overcooked and plain and £21.50 thank you.
When you go out to eat you expect flair and excitement in the food - Come on Wapping food you have lost your edge.....

2  Thank Helen M
Reviewed September 30, 2012

30 September 2012.

We went to the Wapping Project for lunch. Do not bother.

On arrival, the place was half empty but nobody on reception to meet & greet. Finally caught the attention of a waitress and shown to a table. No welcome and not a smile in sight, The indifference of the staff made our whole lunch a miserable experience. I actually asked the waitress "are you okay, as you all seem to be really fed up, not talking etc". To her credit, she didn't disrepect the owner but her raised eyebrows said everything.

The owner turns out was the scruffy women who we'd seen strolling around wearing a blue skirt which was dirty, green cardigan and fithly boots. Seriously, I'm not joking. This place is hilarious if you think paying £160 (for 2) without service charge is a good day out. We went following the review in the evening standard newspaper - If I'd had read these reviews which are honest, we would not have wasted our money. This place is dreadful and hopefully close soon or have a long hard look at their front of house service and change it.

3  Thank Anne M
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I went to the Wapping Project last Saturday evening with my son and his new wife. It took 5 minutes for us to be acknowledged at the door. We were then seated next to a large and noisy wedding party. After waiting about 20 minutes we flagged down a waitress to ask if we could place our order - for cocktails, one starter (soup), 3 mains and a bottle of wine.
A bottle of wine (no glasses) was plonked on the table, so we explained we'd ordered cocktails so could we have them first? After another 15 minutes our cocktails finally arrived.
We then waited a further 30 minutes and then all the food arrived at once. We said there should have been a starter and the senior waitress said she thought we wanted it all together! Of course we didn’t, so they took away the food.
But then we still had to wait for the starter - soup which arrived without a spoon. I had to get up and go in search of one as the waitress ignored our calls.
Our waitress then appeared to say the wine we had ordered was not available (I wonder what happened to the earlier bottle?), so I had to opt for a different, more expensive one.
Our main courses eventually arrived after we had been in the restaurant for 1 hour 20 minutes. But the cod we had ordered was presented as a lump on a plate with a lettuce leaf and was actually raw in the middle,
At that stage I decided the joke had gone far enough, left cash on the table for what we had consumed so far, and we got up and left.
One can forgive the odd mistake. They were obviously busy with the wedding party (though this must have been booked well in advance so they should have arranged staff accordingly). But what I cannot forgive is the attitude of the staff. At no point were we even smiled at. The waitress acted as though it was beneath her dignity to serve us. We were never offered an apology for any of their numerous mistakes. And I don't think they even noticed when we left.
I have eaten at the Wapping Project several times over the course of many years.
But never again.