“A Fascinating And Varied Menu, Well Presented”

the elk in the woods
Ranked #4,790 of 24,437 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2014

On our way to the Almeida Theatre and looking for somewhere to eat, we came across The Elk in Camden Passage. We could not have made a better choice, receiving a friendly welcome and excellent service. Quite busy, which we thought a good sign, but still a choice of comfortable seating. A fascinating and varied menu choice with a Scandinavian theme all well prepared and presented. Apart from the main courses there is an interesting selection of smaller courses that can be shared together with moorish chips. Good coffee and fair prices, will call again when next at the Almeida.

1  Thank bsandrs

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Packed on Saturday evening, so I was glad I booked. Quick, attentive service, great food and a good atmosphere. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had a superb venison burger, while my wife loved her elk kebabs. We've read reviews elsewhere suggesting the service wasn't great; ours was just fine, thanks. Liked it all so much we went back the following morning and had the elk sausage skillet, which was a great way to start the day. I'm not one who usually makes recommendations like this, but we were really impressed and would want go back next time we're in London.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The queue for The Breakfast Club was far too long so we opted for this stylishly chic looking cafe, only metres away. From the outside it oozed style so we were optimistic. Unfortunately the style doesn't extend to the service. Upon entry there was nobody available to greet us (2). The barman who was about 4ft away just looked at us and continued with what he was doing, leaving us in that awkward situation where you don't know whether you're supposed to take a seat or wait for a waiter. Eventually I approached him and ask if we could take a seat anywhere to which he rolled his eyes and responded "No, reservation!!?" Very bluntly. When we told him no he pointed us toward a communal table in the corner. His attitude made us feel like he was doing us some sort of favour by letting us in. The waitress serving food was no better either. The communal table was very cramped and she spoke to us so demeaning as if this was our fault, it literally felt as though I made the decision to stick a giant communal table in a small corner just to make it hard for her to pass through. The food was surprisingly let down by the service. We had a very nice full breakfast and american pancakes. Unfortunately we left feeling the service prevented this cafe from achieving its potential. I also note that the waitress took a while to take food and drink orders even though when I went to the toilet she was stood chatting with the barman and changing the music. We have graced many restaurants around the world and no matter how fine the food is, if the service is poor the restaurant is poor. I would not recommend this cafe.

1  Thank Liam0808
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We booked a table for lunch time on mother's day. had to wait 10 minutes for our table to be ready, and service was occasionally a little slow, but the food was great. A really relaxed atmosphere. Friendly staff. Lots of variety on the menu. Would definitely visit again