“There was something for everyone!”

Smollensky's on the Strand
Ranked #6,423 of 24,426 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: A London institution for over 20 years, Smollenskys on the Strand is situated in the heart of the West End - the perfect stop off after a hard days shopping around Covent Garden, visiting the open air cinema at Somerset House, a trip to the London Transport Museum or The Royal Opera House, are all around the corner.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had always wanted to go to Smollensky's but thought it would be really expensive. It was a freezing cold day and we were showing a friend and her 13 year old son around rainy London. It was a Friday lunchtime and not crowded at all. I had the £12.00 two course menu - fish cake for starter, steak and skin-on fries with a side salad (extra £2.50) all perfectly cooked. The steak was medium and absolutely gorgeous, My veggie husband found something vegan to eat which is unusual. He often goes hungry until he finds a falafel place! My friend had scallops - a little underdone and her son had a huge burger that he clearly enjoyed very much - and this boy is a very picky eater. My daughter had the ribs which she loved and the chicken pasta alfredo which was ok but nothing special. The one dessert we ordered was divine - a really yummy piece of mississippi mud pie. We fought over it!! The wine I had was yummy and we all had smiles on our faces. It was affordable, tasty food and to top it all the service was excellent. We had a lovely warm smiley waitress who was very patient with us - we did take time to choose what we wanted. Unlike most reviewers of Smollensky's we weren't going to the theratre so weren't in hurray. I found the service attentive, appropriate and pleasant. We'll definitely come back for more!!!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had often passed the quite plain entrance to the restauarant when walking down The Strand without really taking much notice. However when staying in London, we were looking for a restauarant for a pre-theatre meal in this area and found a great deal on Lastminute.com.
When we got to the restaurant, as we went down the stairs, what a transformation! One of the buzziest atmospheres ever with loads of people enjoying a post-work drink!
Although early we were shown to our table and supplied with menus. Our deal was a 2 course menu with a glass of Proseccor for £15 which we thought was great value. Although the menu was limited, the food was hot and tasty and the service was really good. Only down point was that I ordered a large glass of red wine and didn't realise that this was nearly £9!!! - expensive even for London! However overall the meal was good, a great atmosphere and would like to go back again when next visiting to try the a la carte menu.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Although most likely a decent bar in the evening, my daytime visit proved to be somewhat of a disappointment.

The food was certainly not expensive (in London terms), but I felt that the quality of my meat was perhaps not the best value for money. Moreover, the presentation was rather unimaginative. Overall, though, I had no issues with the food.

The staff is a different story. I'd like to stress that they were never rude, but it certainly seemed that I was inconveniencing them when asking whether they had wifi. I thought the service was rather cold, and although I would not have any issues going back, it would not be my first choice in the area. Go to Terroirs or Simpson's i stead if you want something nearby.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a good place to meet friends and drink and eat. The bar snack portions have recently got bigger.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

we booked for 4 of us on a 50% off all food deal. The food was fantastic and service very good, all for £56 excluding drinks!