“Overrated.”

Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My parents and I visited this restaurant on April 20th. We chose it because it's close to their hotel (Doubletree Courthouse), and made reservations for 7pm (which is helpful, they get quite busy). If you don't like it loud, sit downstairs.
The first thing we noticed, is the EXTENSIVE wine list, which, being a wine bar, was great. The Bordeaux, Chateau La Tour was a great find by the glass and I recommend it. The table bread was also quite delicious - warm and crusty with a nice soft inside. But, the food was not what I was expecting after reading all of these rave reviews here on TripAdvisor. We ordered three starters, the blue cheese and broccoli soup of the day, scallops, and the grilled calamari. Out of the three, the soup was the best. The scallops were gritty, and the calamari, while the taste was okay, was quite chewy. We ordered our mains: the sirloin steak, cod, and shrimp in a chili sauce. The steak was bland for a sirloin and the shrimp were also quite bland even with the chili sauce. The best of the three dishes was, by far, the cod which was fantastic. I also had chips with my steak that were quite good as well. So, it was not the best meal ever, and I'm still wondering why it gets these amazing reviews, but if you stick with the cod and soups of the day you'll be fine on food. If I return, I plan to only get wine and their amazing warm bread.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Here is a restaurant that to me bases its success on the qualtiy of the ingredients and not on trying to cover up the flavours that are already there. We have found it reliable and at a sensible price. There is always a nice convivial buzz around as well. Not loud but then who wants to be the only people in a restuarant!! Ideal for the Oxford Circus area but only a short walk from Regent Street. A real find.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Forget fashion or sharing plates or tapas or ceviche or mini burger or sushi smushi or what ever is the new soho fad ; Shampers is old favourite wine bar , just like you used to get before the chains and the high rents took over the area . I have always loved it here and it never lets me down [ sitting downstairs is slightly quieter ] . I love the atmosphere , a mixture of 80s suits , shoppers and excentric staff , I love the cartoons on the walls , cuttings from private eye in the ladies loos . love the excellent wines by the glass . Love the dishes of the day ; always really nice fish here [ although the veggy options are alittle old fashioned bland ] . Service too is always really quick despite it being busy busy busy . Ate this time ; lovely buttery potted shrimp , then the tuna [ and they asked me how I wanted it cooked , thankyou ] served with most delicious lentils and spinach . My partner had gravalax [ very scandi in its style ] and then a generous sausage and mash [ maybe not best choice to then go back to work on ] . I have had many lunches here and it is just a gem , and perfect for a little special shopping in Liberties afterwards. I would proberbly reccommend booking at lunch time as its always mobbed .

Reviewed April 16, 2013

On this occasion I popped in for a quick working business lunch. Service was unobtrusive yet attentive and the food good. I had seared Tuna (slightly overdone), lentils and spinach (best spinach I have tasted for a while) - £15.50. Good wine list as you would expect given their billing as a wine bar. This was a Tuesday and the place was full so book or expect a wait.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fewer of us could meet this time for our 6 monthly reunion of old uni friends, and the booking numbers had to be changed at short notice, but Shampers are always very accommodating.The atmosphere on a Friday lunchtime is always very vibrant, the wine selection is always excellent, and the food never disappoints. We all seemed to go for the potted shrimp starter-very tasty, and I had the gurnard which was cooked to perfection.Desserts were all delicious.Seating by the wall can be a little cramped, but the very fact that there is a general acceptance of such minor setbacks without a care reflects the type of clientelle here-a relaxed and convivial bunch who recognise the greater importance of good food, wine and efficient service, with no hint of pressure to finish and move on, which is ideal for our purpose.